[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Advice on Supra Wordsync SCSI controller.

sno@ais.org (Stephen Opal) (03/27/91)

After mucho problems with reselection and concurrent disk drive lockups with
my BRAND NEW 6.1 v A2091 controller, my Commodore Amiga Dealer has advised
that I would likely find the Supra Wordsync SCSI controller more suitable
to my needs.  The path to that decision was a long and winding road and has
caused my Dealer to reconsider it's reliance on Commodore Amiga Technical
Support for important information.

The main reason for my Dealer's suggestion on the change is based mostly on
Supra's satisfaction guarantee and direct credit on return.  Mother Commodore
only gives "parts credit" on returned equipment, regardless of the reason.

With this in mind, my Dealer suggested I poll Usenet users and find out
your opinions on this particular controller.

As a Supra Wordsync owner:

Have you been satisfied with your purchase?
What problems have you had setting up your controller?
Are you using multiple HD's on your system and are they all using the Supra?
What drives have you had connected, and were there any difficulties?
Do you have any Diskperf results that would make you reconsider your purchase?
Any general comments on business with Supra in general?

As a final note, my Dealer has had quite a bit of difficulty with GVP
products.  They have found themselves shipping back 2-3 units before getting
one that works as advertised.  This is across the GVP line, not just
controllers.  For this reason, they will *NOT* sell me a GVP unless I
*INSIST* that I must have a product they produce.

This is not *my* flame, but my Dealer's.  Therefore, I do not wish to
hear *YOUR* flames about this policy, and I will not forward your comments
to them.  I am only explaining that the GVP product is not available to me
and so is not considered an option.

Stephen N. Opal      sno@ais.org     rjf001!sno-1!sno
--
Stephen N. Opal      sno@ais.org     rjf001!sno-1!sno

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/27/91)

In article <1R5-VWF@irie.ais.org>, sno@ais.org (Stephen Opal) writes:
> After mucho problems with reselection and concurrent disk drive lockups with
> my BRAND NEW 6.1 v A2091 controller, my Commodore Amiga Dealer has advised
> that I would likely find the Supra Wordsync SCSI controller more suitable
> to my needs.  The path to that decision was a long and winding road and has
> caused my Dealer to reconsider it's reliance on Commodore Amiga Technical
> Support for important information.
>
> The main reason for my Dealer's suggestion on the change is based mostly on
> Supra's satisfaction guarantee and direct credit on return.  Mother Commodore
> only gives "parts credit" on returned equipment, regardless of the reason.
>
> With this in mind, my Dealer suggested I poll Usenet users and find out
> your opinions on this particular controller.
>
> As a Supra Wordsync owner:
>
> Have you been satisfied with your purchase?

Yes, the hardcard setup is quite rugged.  Not being able to put RAM on
board is a bit of a disadvantage, but I bought an RAM WORKS 2000 and
have been happy with it (can expand in 512K increments by
automatically posing as up to three autoconfig nodes, which helps both
for cheap upgrades, and fitting around things like the bridgeboard,
also uses DIPs which simplifies chip replacement).

> What problems have you had setting up your controller?

Not much.  I have two HDs and had to fabricate my own ribbon cable.
Theirs is only about 3" to the drive on the card.  There is a second
ribbon cable that goes to the external 25 pin port, which gets in the
way of running a ribbon cable from the controller to the bays on the
2000.  The order of logical arrangment normally is:

	External Port <--> Interface <-->Internal Drive

Which solves possilble termination problems and avoids "tails".
> Are you using multiple HD's on your system and are they all using the Supra?
> What drives have you had connected, and were there any difficulties?

I have two internal drives, ad Quantum 40Q, and an old Miniscribe
8425s connected like this:

	Internal Card Drive <--> Interface <--> Internal Drive Bay

The two drives are terminated and the interface isn't (correct in this
case).  I've left the external cable unconnected for now because it
wasn't long enough to route around my new cables, and I haven't opened
the machine since I got some more ribbon cable.  Note that adding the
external port back shouldn't be a problem, since the cable from the
interface to the hard card drive is only about 2-3", well within the
practical "tail limits" of SCSI (and much shorter than most external
devices with pass-thru).

The interface does have a removable resistor pack which can be used to
terminate the interface (which needs to be done if there are no
internal drives).  A little known trick with SCSI is that if a drive
powers its own resistors (and most do), you can terminate *every*
drive, which can often make non-working systems work.  (I did this a
lot with Apple stuff when I was a tech, and it usually worked, not bad
considering how much Apple's stuff abuses the SCSI spec).

>Do you have any Diskperf results that would make you reconsider your purchase?

I got results of about 450K p/sec write and about 720K p/sec read
on an empty partition on the Quantum.  Note that the read results hold
above 500K on any buffer size over 512 bytes (probably due mostly to
the Q's 64K cache).  The Miniscribes results were much slower and
similar to results I've gotten with that drive hooked to other
machines, but actually that is good since it suggests that the
controller at least maxing out the drive's performance (the Miniscribe
is an old drive with only 65ms access).

> Any general comments on business with Supra in general?

I actually havn't dealt with the company directly, but bought the
machine used.  The hard-card survived a 700mi UPS trip in the machine
without problems, and the software works well.  One complaint is that
their formatting/partitioning program only works in whole MB sizes and
will leave the last few cyls unsued unless you manually enter the true
value.  Their drives use a custom mount command that will mount all
partitions on all drives at once, but they can write out a functional
mount list that will work with MOUNT, which is important for 2.0.

Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  mgooderum	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu