[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Janus Hard Drives

Dennis_Grant@cmr001.bitnet (03/25/91)

      OK, I bought an IBM hardcard for my Amiga. I have V2.63 of the Janus
software, but (for reasons far too complicated to describe here) my version
of DJMount is from V2.2 or so. An early version, in any case.

    Problem: DJMount works intermittently at best, and, when it does work,
if I try and run PCWindow, my machine GURUs _immediately_ with a # of
either 3 or 4. (4 most often).

    Is it safe to assume that the newer version of DJMount fixes this
problem? Does anybody have a copy they can send me? (It's a long way to a
dealer)

   While I'm at it, what is the latest Janus release?

    Oh yeah, A2000, 2 internal drives, no added memory, 512k Agnus, 2088
BridgeBoard. AmigaDOS 1.3

  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at Le College Militaire Royal de St-Jean
  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (03/27/91)

In a message posted on 25 Mar 91 15:49:04 GMT,
Dennis_Grant@cmr001.bitnet wrote:

D>      OK, I bought an IBM hardcard for my Amiga. I have V2.63 of the Janus
D>software, but (for reasons far too complicated to describe here) my version
D>of DJMount is from V2.2 or so. An early version, in any case.
D>
D>    Problem: DJMount works intermittently at best, and, when it does work,
D>if I try and run PCWindow, my machine GURUs _immediately_ with a # of
D>either 3 or 4. (4 most often).

	Your problem isn't DJMount, it's your Bridgecard.  Since I got
mine I've had no end of intermittent AND persistent seating, contact
etc... problems.  As a matter of fact, it's not working properly as I
write.  After running the machine for 10 minutes, the Bridgecard quits
until it cools down (this is a new problem for me, I'm used to all the
rest.  But, that's another post).  Try reseating your Bridgecard with
different combos of IBM side pushed in first, Amiga side push in first.
Try leaving it not _quite_ pushed in all the way.

D>    Is it safe to assume that the newer version of DJMount fixes this
D>problem? Does anybody have a copy they can send me? (It's a long way to a
D>dealer)
D>
D>   While I'm at it, what is the latest Janus release?

	Latest Janus I know of is 2.0.  Also, don't use DJMount.  Use a
mountlist.  It gives faster xfer rates.  You can also then use FFS on the
Bridgecard drive.  With DJMount I got about 10K/sec on a 70 ms drive.  Now
I get about 150K/sec with the same drive and a mountlist.

D>    Oh yeah, A2000, 2 internal drives, no added memory, 512k Agnus, 2088
D>BridgeBoard. AmigaDOS 1.3

	If anyone has any brainy ideas about my problems before a post a
large article explaining everything, my setup is

B2000 REV 4.2 with 68010
2x2052 = 4MB
Microbotics Hardframe/2000 w/ 105Meg Quantum (with problems of it's own)
Bridgecard 2088  early rev.  I can get numbers later.
30 MB IBM HD

KS 33.180  WB 34.27

D>  Dennis Grant   3rd year CS student at Le College Militaire Royal de St-Jean
D>  DETUD595@CMR001.BITNET
D>  How much do I love thee? My accumulator overflows!

---
--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--UUCP 1.06D/Gnews v1.1/UUCP+
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP or lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  | Mail any files to 'files'