[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] WB 2.0 and Flicker Fixer

watters@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (03/25/91)

Assuming you have the new ECS and WB/KS 2.0, what results will you have with
a Flicker Fixer?

The FF manual says it has a max res of 704x???, but right now I am running it
at 718x480.  So my main question is what modes, of the new modes, with work
or not work with the Flicker Fixer?

Thanks...

David

--
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH

pselver@euler.mit.edu (Peter Selverstone) (03/26/91)

In article <100482@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> <watters@anaconda.cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>Assuming you have the new ECS and WB/KS 2.0, what results will you have with
>a Flicker Fixer?
>
>The FF manual says it has a max res of 704x???, but right now I am running it

The flickerFixer specs only claim 704 x 470 pixels because that is the
largest workbench which can be obtained with morerows and the 1.3
preferences.  A larger workbench is possible with 1.3 by poking the
preferences structure.  Microway tries to be conservative in its
specifications and not mislead its customers.

>at 718x480.  So my main question is what modes, of the new modes, with work

Under 2.0 the flickerFixer will support this size workbench.  This is
the largest size (in NTSC) that can be displayed with the "old" non-ECS
Denise chip without nasty artifacts.

With the new Denise, the released versions of 2.0 allow a 724 pixel wide
workbench in the 3000.  Microway may release an upgrade which would allow
a wider display once the ECS Denise chip is released for use in the 2000.

>or not work with the Flicker Fixer?

Neither the flickerFixer nor any similar device can make use of any
of the new modes that are available when using both the ECS Agnus and
the ECS Denise.  I think that most users of the A3000 would agree
that the new "productivity" and superhires modes are rarely used in
a machine with an enhanced display.  In fact, I believe that many
flickerFixer users will not feel that the expense of switching to the
ECS Denise is justified.

--
Peter Selverstone  -  Spy Pond Systems - Arlington, MA  -  (617)648-7468
pselver@euler.mit.edu  bix:pselverstone  PLINK:pselverst  CIS:72527,2652

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (03/28/91)

I don't know where the numbers you are using for overscan pixels is coming from,
but I get more than the number you site on my system.  With or without the
A2320 installed I get roughly 738 pixels.  With the Flicker-Fixer (which I
exchanged for the A2320) I got about 719 pixels.  All this was discovered while
I was checking to see if the 768 pixel mode used by Digi-View and the lo-res
equivalent (384) used by those overscan automobile images was necessary.  I
noted that the Firecracker uses a 768 mode while the Toaster uses 736 (both
multiples of 8).  The new Deluxe Paint III (upgrade for WB 2.0) has a 704
and a 736 mode.  On my monitor (a 1950) the 704 doesn't quite cover the screen.
768 extends beyond the edges of the actual video signal while 736 is just about
perfect (no extra bandwidth, but none of those nasty borders).

Anyway, I don't know what WB (1.3 or 2.0) allows, but basing the hardware on
that is kind of short-sighted.  Microway based their hardware on morerows but
this screwed things up terribly.  The Flicker-Fixer displayed only the first
719 pixels in a row.  This meant that the non-overscanned image when centered
for a normal machine, was shifted to the far right of the video signal.
Overscan extended the image out of the visible video on the right.  If the
image was centered, HAM fringing was a problem in any but the 352 (704) mode
because the leftmost column was out of the video and couldn't be "held" for
Hold-And-Modify.  The A2320 has none of these problems because it covers as
much video as the standard video does and original centering works fine, even
in overscan.

These are just my own observations, but I just noticed that they didn't jive
with your own number.

Rick Tillery (drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu)