[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] how to partition a hard drive?

MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ma. Ji) (03/16/91)

Howdy:

I have a A3000 come with 50MB hard drive in which 4MB are partitioned for
WB-2.0 and 2MB partitioned for WB-1.3 and remaining 41MB are left as
work:

I was try to cut work: into two and name some other name.  I used the
HDTool.  There is option for HD partition.  After I select the work:
and narrow its space into 20MB and select the free space and name
it test:.  The program resquest a reboot --fine.  After reboot, two
partition appear with strange name as WORK:NDOS and TEST:??? (some
junk charactar).  I was try to use Icom rename option to rename them
after rename they disappear for a moment and reappear with the old
name.  I tried only narrow the work: partition it come back with the
same odd.  I click it WB response No tools related to this partition.
It only allow me to extend the full remaining space for work:

What should I do?

By the way, there is some confusion as I read amiga manual.  what is
difference between work bench and AmigaShell and AmigaDOS?  It seems
to me they all accept amigaDOS command and  workbench command!

My machine comes with a disk called KickStart.  I check the index on
the manual there is no such entry for it.  What does it do?  How
can I use it?  The manual only said to use workbench disk to reboot
the machine.

I will really appreciate if you can help me out.

Maji

In article <91074.094710MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ma. Ji) writes:
>Howdy:

>I was try to cut work: into two and name some other name.  I used the
>HDTool.  There is option for HD partition.  After I select the work:
>and narrow its space into 20MB and select the free space and name
>it test:.  The program resquest a reboot --fine.  After reboot, two
>partition appear with strange name as WORK:NDOS and TEST:??? (some
>junk charactar).

The OS, at this point, has found both partitions, but neither of them has
been formatted.  The old format on the work partition is still showing up
to some degree, while the new partition isn't meaningful at all.

>I was try to use Icom rename option to rename them after rename they
>disappear for a moment and reappear with the old name.

You have to format them before RENAME or anything else will work on them.

>By the way, there is some confusion as I read amiga manual.  what is
>difference between work bench and AmigaShell and AmigaDOS?  It seems
>to me they all accept amigaDOS command and  workbench command!

To some degree that's true.  "AmigaDOS" actually refers to two things.  The
series of C: programs are in some sense "The Amiga Disk Operating System",
or AmigaDOS.  The DOS subsystem, which consists of a series of function calls
used by programs to speak to disk objects, is also generally referred to as
AmigaDOS, or "dos.library".

A "shell" is the actual user interface presented to the user.  The Amiga Shell
is a text based user interface, similar to text based shells traditionally used
on other computers.  Workbench is a graphics based shell.  Ideally, both shells
allow you to do the same things; this is far truer in Amiga OS 2.0 than in the
old Amiga OS 1.3; Workbench in the latter system was not nearly as powerful as
the Amiga Shell.  Under 2.0, it's really your decision which environment you
would rather use -- most things work in either.

>My machine comes with a disk called KickStart.  I check the index on
>the manual there is no such entry for it.  What does it do?

The Kickstart disk contains the Amiga's operating system.  That operating
system, on the A3000, is already on your hard disk.  As long as you don't do
anything to damage the WB_2.x: or WB_1.3: partitions, you shouldn't have any
need for the Kickstart disk.

>Maji

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (03/20/91)

In article <91074.094710MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ma. Ji) writes:
> Howdy:
>
> I have a A3000 come with 50MB hard drive in which 4MB are partitioned for
> WB-2.0 and 2MB partitioned for WB-1.3 and remaining 41MB are left as
> work:
>
> I was try to cut work: into two and name some other name.  I used the
> HDTool.  There is option for HD partition.  After I select the work:
> and narrow its space into 20MB and select the free space and name
> it test:.  The program resquest a reboot --fine.  After reboot, two
> partition appear with strange name as WORK:NDOS and TEST:??? (some
> junk charactar).  I was try to use Icom rename option to rename them
> after rename they disappear for a moment and reappear with the old
> name.  I tried only narrow the work: partition it come back with the
> same odd.  I click it WB response No tools related to this partition.
> It only allow me to extend the full remaining space for work:
>
> What should I do?

After you finish with HDTools simply reboot (as it makes you do) and
then format the new partitions.  Be careful when using HDTools, do
not disturb the placement of the WB_2.x or the WB_1.3 partitions or
you will end up with a non-bootable system!  Which means you get to
start over from your A3000 Install disk and the your A3000 Kickstart
floppy.  (I guess if you put things _exactly_ back the way they were
you could recover without re-installation)

When the reboot is complete you will see your new partitions with
questions marks behind them.  This means that the file system has not
been established on these partitions.  You can then select these icons
and format each.  If you have a SCSI drive you need only to do a quick
format.  However, a full format is fine and might make sense if you
are the paranoid sort.

> By the way, there is some confusion as I read amiga manual.  what is
> difference between work bench and AmigaShell and AmigaDOS?  It seems
> to me they all accept amigaDOS command and  workbench command!
>
> My machine comes with a disk called KickStart.  I check the index on
> the manual there is no such entry for it.  What does it do?  How
> can I use it?  The manual only said to use workbench disk to reboot
> the machine.
>
> I will really appreciate if you can help me out.
>
> Maji

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (03/25/91)

In article <91074.094710MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, MAJI@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (Ma. Ji) writes:
> I have a A3000 come with 50MB hard drive in which 4MB are partitioned for
> WB-2.0 and 2MB partitioned for WB-1.3 and remaining 41MB are left as
> work:
>
> I was try to cut work: into two and name some other name.  I used the
> HDTool.  There is option for HD partition.  After I select the work:
> and narrow its space into 20MB and select the free space and name
> it test:.  The program resquest a reboot --fine.  After reboot, two
> partition appear with strange name as WORK:NDOS and TEST:??? (some
> junk charactar).  I was try to use Icom rename option to rename them
> after rename they disappear for a moment and reappear with the old
> name.  I tried only narrow the work: partition it come back with the
> same odd.  I click it WB response No tools related to this partition.
> It only allow me to extend the full remaining space for work:
>
> What should I do?

Yes, this can be confusing for the novice user.  I wish CBM would make the
manual a little clearer for new users.  Anyway, here goes: After you chop the
WORK: partition into two pieces, you have to reboot to have the partitions
remount.  THEN, you MUST reformat them with AmigaDOS.  If you use the CLI or
shell, the commands would be:

  1.> format drive work: name "WhateverYouLike" FFS
  1.> format drive test: name "TheOtherName" FFS

Since you seem to use WorkBench, select one of the weird icons, then use the
"Format Disk..." option from the Icon menu.  Select "OK" on the requestors
you are shown, and the new partition will be just fine.  Do the same for the
other new icon.  One final reboot and you should be up and running.

The reasons are: When you monkey around with the RDBs (RigidDiskBlocks,
information tables used by AmigaDOS which tell it how big your partitions are
and other useful stuff) using HDToolBox, you essentially throw away all of the
AmigaDOS formatting information.  HDToolBox modifies the RDBs for the various
partitions, and gives a device name for them (note I said a DEVICE name, not a
VOLUME name).  Ok, now you have two new DEVICES, WORK: and TEST:.  Now, you
have to format the media to allow AmigaDOS to use them.  If you want to, you
can think of them as really big floppies mounted in drives WORK: and TEST:
(instead of DF0:).  You gotta format floppies, don't you?  The same thing is
true of hard disks.

Just to prove that this all works, my 3000 is happily running on a Conner
CP3200 that's partitioned into 4 parts, WB 1.3.2 (5MB), WB-2.x (5MB), Work1:
(95MB), and Work2: (95MB).  The system came with a 50MB Quantum (which now
lives in my 2500/30).

> By the way, there is some confusion as I read amiga manual.  what is
> difference between work bench and AmigaShell and AmigaDOS?  It seems
> to me they all accept amigaDOS command and  workbench command!

AmigaDOS is the underlying Amiga operating system.  WorkBench (the desktop
environment) uses AmigaDOS to do its work.  When you click on icons and such,
you cause WorkBench to issue commands to AmigaDOS.  If you wish to give
AmigaDOS the commands yourself, you use the CLI (Command Line Interface).
The Shell is a program which adds lots of functionality to the CLI.  Any
AmigaDOS command that can be entered on the CLI can be entered in the Shell.
The Shell provides things such as a command line history, command line editing,
user-defined prompts (instead of the standard CLI "x> " prompt), and lots of
other goodies.

> My machine comes with a disk called KickStart.  I check the index on
> the manual there is no such entry for it.  What does it do?  How
> can I use it?  The manual only said to use workbench disk to reboot
> the machine.

The A3000 currently doesn't use a ROM to hold the low-level operating system
as is done in many different systems (in the IBM world, it's called "BIOS").
Instead, the 3000 uses something called WCS (writeable control store).  When
the system is started, some stuff is copied from a special spot on the hard
disk into this WCS, and the WCS is used instead of ROMs. This allows much
simpler updates to the operating system than a ROM-based beastie.  For example,
if the BIOS changes in a PC, you have to open the box, pull out a couple of
chips, and replace them with a couple of new chips.  On the Amiga, all you
have to do is run a program, and stick the KickStart disk into DF0: when you're
told to.  Simple, no?

Now, what is KickStart?  KickStart is this special, low level operating system
stored in that special spot on the hard disk which gets copied to the WCS when
you turn on your machine.  On the 3000, the KickStart disk is only used when
the system gets a new hard disk, or a new version of the operating system
comes out.  During the software installation, the contents of the KickStart
disk are copied the special location on your hard disk.  Once that's done, you
don't need the diskette in normal operations.  You will need it, however, if
your hard disk crashes completely (God forbid!) or you put in a bigger one.

> I will really appreciate if you can help me out.
>
> Maji

Hope all of this stuff helps.  I tried to keep it non-technical, but if you
have more questions, don't hesitate to repost or contact me directly via
EMail or phone.
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |
|  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop     |
|  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)           |
|                                                                          |
|   "If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid."                        |
'--------------------------------------------------------------------------`

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/29/91)

In article <3721@tmiuv0.uucp> rick@tmiuv0.uucp writes:
>If you use the CLI or
>shell, the commands would be:
>
>  1.> format drive work: name "WhateverYouLike" FFS
>  1.> format drive test: name "TheOtherName" FFS
You might should consider using the "quick" option since this significantly
reduces the format time.  This is even more evident when formatting a large
HD like a Conner 3200 or other large HD partitions.

--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu