[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] AMIGA 3000 INSTALL 2nd Drive

chucky@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Chuck Yorlano) (03/27/91)

I was wondering how you go about installing a second harddrive
in the 2nd floppy bay of the AMIGA 3000.  Is an adapter
bracket necessary and if so where do I get one.

A friend of mine could not get the harddrive to mount flush. It
was either too far forward or too far backward.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/27/91)

In article <3051@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM> chucky@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Chuck Yorlano) writes:
>I was wondering how you go about installing a second harddrive
>in the 2nd floppy bay of the AMIGA 3000.  Is an adapter
>bracket necessary and if so where do I get one.
>
>A friend of mine could not get the harddrive to mount flush. It
>was either too far forward or too far backward.

I used the bracket that was included with my A3000's 2nd floppy drive bay.
There are several different sets of holes for mounting in that bracket.
Having the HD mounted too far back shouldn't be a problem unless you are
crimping cables or physically hitting the power supply.  Also, some HDs
include a faceplate that is not necessary.  I removed one from a Seagate
St-296n once, so that it would fit in a 2000.  Mounting a HD flush is
not important like it is with a floppy drive.  As long as the HD is
physically stable and not going anywhere or in danger of coming in contact
with anything electrically, then you're in no danger.  In fact you can
stack several drives in the same bay if you adhere to this rule and also
allow for some ventilation between drives.  I posted earlier about the
ability to mount up 6 drives in a 3000 if one were to stack like this.
I have done it before in several machines.  Be advised though, that these
drives were the smaller 1/2 ht drives like floppies and Quantum's 50M drives.

--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu

wendell@medsys.uucp (Wendell Dingus) (03/29/91)

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:

>In article <3051@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM> chucky@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Chuck Yorlano) writes:
>>I was wondering how you go about installing a second harddrive
>>in the 2nd floppy bay of the AMIGA 3000.  Is an adapter
>>bracket necessary and if so where do I get one.
>>
>>A friend of mine could not get the harddrive to mount flush. It
>>was either too far forward or too far backward.
>>
>I used the bracket that was included with my A3000's 2nd floppy drive bay.

[much stuff deleted]

I think what Chuck may be having a problem with is a mounting bracket *without*
all the extra mounting holes. After trying to install a second HD in an _early_
A3000UX at work, I was ready to fire off a major flame to CBM for not designing
that mounting bracket properly. It too wouldn't allow for the mounting of a
Quantum 105 properly, and didn't have a big (1") wide power connector, only a
micro-sized one.. I ended up drilling some more holes in the bracket, and
clamping on an extra large-sized power connector. A week later I go to install
an extra hard drive in my machine at home, and the bracket has many more
mounting options, and there are power connectors of both sizes. This machine is
much newer than the other though...  This bracket change, and the addition of
the extra power connector was obviously an early A3000 design upgrade.
Thank goodness!  :-)

-----
Wendell Dingus                 UseNet: ...uunet!medsys!wendell