[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 Harddrive Update

cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (03/21/91)

Well, yesterday I turned off my Amiga 3000 (This is important, it is
something I very rarely do...) and moved some wires around and tried
to get everything to come back up again.  My second internal harddrive
refused to come up.  (System Info: 1 40 meg internal quantum as boot
drive, 1 ST157N as the second drive, 1 internal floppy).  I took the
A3000 apart, listened to the seagate, and I SWEAR, imagine a little
man inside the harddrive knocking on the case...THAT is EXACTLY what
it sounded like.

No amount of poking, proding, switching drives around, nor all the
kings horses and all the kings men could get this drive back up.

Has anyone else had this problem with seagates in general?

My next question...I am sure everyone reading this knows about the
'second harddrive wont come up need to do a warmboot' problem to get
the harddrive to come up right.  Could this have been related to my
harddrive finally giving out and *Apparently* not working now?

I talked to commdore.  They said it was either my harddrive or my
A2091, but how weird for it to be the A2091 given the set of
circumstances. The dealer tells me it is likely the Seagate.  I sure
hope so, bause I just went and ordered a 50 meg Quauantum drive....

Will some kind sole who has successfully installed two hard drives in
their Amiga 3000 please tell me how they did it.  I know how to do it,
but I just want to make real sure I'm getting the same setup as
everyone else that this seems to work for.  (kind sole...hee hee).

Final question.  If I go into HDToolbox, and I tell it to turn
reselection OFF on a harddrive, does it really do it?

Fortunately, the Quantum drive that came with the A3000 is working
fine, as always.

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (03/25/91)

>In article <48804@nigel.ee.udel.edu> lou@vaxsc writes:
[...]
>Here, Blaine specifies that his drives are external drives.  So I'm assuming
>that they are set up as
>
>Internal - Lun 0, Unit 0
>External - Lun 1, Unit 0,
>           Lun 2, Unit 0,
>	   Lun 3, Unit 0.
>
>Hence, the LUN changes, but they are ALL unit 0.  Is this the common config,
>or is someone else trying to use LUN 0, Units 0 and 1?

Your terminology appears to be confused. Each SCSI unit can have sub-units
with different LUN's. So his drives are probably units 0,1,2,3, with all
having LUN 0.

>I mention this because I have dealt with other types (non-Amiga) of SCSI
>controllers that DO have problems with multiple units on the same LUN, but
>DO NOT have problems with Multiple LUNS, all using unit 0.

Again, I thing you have LUN and unit backwards.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/26/91)

cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:
>Will some kind sole who has successfully installed two hard drives in
>their Amiga 3000 please tell me how they did it.  I know how to do it,
>but I just want to make real sure I'm getting the same setup as
>everyone else that this seems to work for.  (kind sole...hee hee).

One internal Quantum 170S, terminated. No termination on the
motherboard. Three CDC Wren III's in their own cases with power, all
daisy chained from the A3000's external DB-25 SCSI connector, all Wrens
unterminated except for the on on the end of the chain.

Then I ran HDToolbox, and formatted, and everything has worked 100%
reliably since. I got the A3000 in July '90, and have run with two
drives since then. Turning off reselection fixed the only problem I had.
The other two drives were added a month or two ago, still no problems.

I've tested a number of other drives, and the only problem I encountered
was a Sony 40 meg that would lock up the SCSI bus. I never got the
system up far enough to even format that one.

>Final question.  If I go into HDToolbox, and I tell it to turn
>reselection OFF on a harddrive, does it really do it?

Only if you had to re-enter all your partition data. If you didn't have
to do that, you only changed the config file, not the RigidDiskBlock.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne

lou@vaxsc (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.170704.6504@javelin.es.com>,  Blaine Gardner
<blgardne@javelin.es.com> writes:

>One internal Quantum 170S, terminated. No termination on the
>motherboard. Three CDC Wren III's in their own cases with power, all
>daisy chained from the A3000's external DB-25 SCSI connector,

This may or may not be helpful, but I've noted that no one seems to be asking
or mentioning this fact.   (I could be wrong, I may have just missed it).

Here, Blaine specifies that his drives are external drives.  So I'm assuming
that they are set up as

Internal - Lun 0, Unit 0
External - Lun 1, Unit 0,
           Lun 2, Unit 0,
	   Lun 3, Unit 0.

Hence, the LUN changes, but they are ALL unit 0.  Is this the common config,
or is someone else trying to use LUN 0, Units 0 and 1?

I mention this because I have dealt with other types (non-Amiga) of SCSI
controllers that DO have problems with multiple units on the same LUN, but
DO NOT have problems with Multiple LUNS, all using unit 0.

Just a thought.

        -Lou Williams            Via Bitnet :   william8@niehs.bitnet
                                Via Internet:   lou@vaxsc.niehs.nih.gov
        Computer Sciences Corporation,    Research Triangle Park, NC
        -Sometimes in order to feel better about yourself, you have to
        make others feel bad, and I'm tired of making others feel good
        about themselves.               -Homer Simpson.

cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar25.170704.6504@javelin.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:

>One internal Quantum 170S, terminated. No termination on the
>motherboard. Three CDC Wren III's in their own cases with power, all

   No termination on the motherboard...what do you mean by this? I
know the harddrives have terminators on them...but the motherboard?

>Only if you had to re-enter all your partition data. If you didn't have
>to do that, you only changed the config file, not the RigidDiskBlock.

  Okay, I have to re-enter *All* of my partition data to turn
reselection off.  Is there another way to do this?

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/27/91)

lou@vaxsc writes:
>In article <1991Mar25.170704.6504@javelin.es.com>,  Blaine Gardner
><blgardne@javelin.es.com> writes:
>>One internal Quantum 170S, terminated. No termination on the
>>motherboard. Three CDC Wren III's in their own cases with power, all
>>daisy chained from the A3000's external DB-25 SCSI connector,

>This may or may not be helpful, but I've noted that no one seems to be asking
>or mentioning this fact.   (I could be wrong, I may have just missed it).

>Here, Blaine specifies that his drives are external drives.  So I'm assuming
>that they are set up as

>Internal - Lun 0, Unit 0
>External - Lun 1, Unit 0,
>           Lun 2, Unit 0,
>	   Lun 3, Unit 0.

>Hence, the LUN changes, but they are ALL unit 0.  Is this the common config,
>or is someone else trying to use LUN 0, Units 0 and 1?

>I mention this because I have dealt with other types (non-Amiga) of SCSI
>controllers that DO have problems with multiple units on the same LUN, but
>DO NOT have problems with Multiple LUNS, all using unit 0.

I think you've got your SCSI ID (Unit) numbers and LUN numbers mixed up.
All drives are LUN 0, with ID numbers 0-6. The only way to get multiple
LUNs is if you've got something like an Adaptec ST-506->SCSI adaptor
that would occupy one SCSI address ID number, and provide two LUN
numbers for the ST-506 drives.

I doubt SCSI ID is a problem anyway, as I've changed things around with
no problem. Originally my setup was:

Internal Quantum	Unit 6	LUN 0 (All drives)
External Wren #1	Unit 0
External Wren #2	Unit 2
External Wren #3	Unit 3

Now it's setup as:

Internal Quantum	Unit 0
External Wren #1	Unit 1
External Wren #2	Unit 2
External Wren #3	Unit 3

Plus I've run a number of other drives and tape devices at anything from
SCSI ID 0 through ID 6 without any problems.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne
DoD #0046   My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.         BIX: blaine_g
                        289 miles to go....

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/27/91)

cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:
>In article <1991Mar25.170704.6504@javelin.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>>One internal Quantum 170S, terminated. No termination on the
>>motherboard. Three CDC Wren III's in their own cases with power, all

>   No termination on the motherboard...what do you mean by this? I
>know the harddrives have terminators on them...but the motherboard?

The A3000 motherboard has sockets near the internal SCSI cable for
terminators, mine shipped without any terminators installed, but I
mentioned it just to cover all the bases.

>>Only if you had to re-enter all your partition data. If you didn't have
>>to do that, you only changed the config file, not the RigidDiskBlock.

>  Okay, I have to re-enter *All* of my partition data to turn
>reselection off.  Is there another way to do this?

Not with HDToolbox. If you carefully note all your partition data first,
you should be able to re-enter the data and not have to reformat your
partitions. Of course a full backup would be a good idea just in case.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne
DoD #0046   My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.         BIX: blaine_g
                        289 miles to go....

GHGAQZ4@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (03/27/91)

And now for an easy question.

     HERE IT IS|
                o  I
                 o I
                  oI
              -----I

                    What is reselection ?

Jorrit Tyberghein

m0154@tnc.UUCP (GUY GARNETT) (03/29/91)

In article <27548@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:

>Well, yesterday I turned off my Amiga 3000 (This is important, it is
>something I very rarely do...) and moved some wires around and tried
>to get everything to come back up again.  My second internal harddrive
>refused to come up.  (System Info: 1 40 meg internal quantum as boot
>drive, 1 ST157N as the second drive, 1 internal floppy).  I took the
>A3000 apart, listened to the seagate, and I SWEAR, imagine a little
>man inside the harddrive knocking on the case...THAT is EXACTLY what
>it sounded like.
>
>No amount of poking, proding, switching drives around, nor all the
>kings horses and all the kings men could get this drive back up.
>
>Has anyone else had this problem with seagates in general?

Well, I don't have two drives in my A3000 (I don't even have a 3000),
but I do have some experience with Seagate drives (I was responsible
for the installation and maintainance of about 30 PClones for a number
of years).

All of those PClones had Seagate drives, and I had no end of trouble
with drive failures.  One of the shure signs of a completely hosed
drive was a "Boooinkk, Booinkk" sound when power was applied
(sometimes accompanied by a very dim drive light).  To me it sounded
like someone was dropping a ball bearing onto the drive shell (is is
probably the sound of the drive heads smacking against their stops as
a demented drive controller has electronic spasms).

My diagnosis: dead drive.  Solution: replace it with a Quantum (or
some other non-Seagate manufacturer); drives that fail in this way can
also be repaired, but this is typically less cost effective than
replacing the thing.

Strangest Seagate failure mode I encountered: Dark smoke pours from
case of computer.  Power is rapidly disconnected, and the computer
brought down to the shop for examination.  A resistor on the drive
electronics board fried (so well that it actually scorched a hole in
the board).  How this could possible happen, I don't know.

Wildstar

sl242003@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon Paul Baker) (03/29/91)

THAT ST-157N IS NOT DEAD!

Last time you shut it off. when the drive spun down the heads stuck
to the media.  Usually if you park the 157N andd then shut it off
this won't happen.

The clicking sound is the drive trying to get the platters spinning
and the heads are holding them up.

If your ST-157N is old, it DOES NOT autopark.  There is a fix for
this and it costs about $50.  If you need the drive to work NOW,
you can use a tweaker to flick the spindle that the drives mount
on.  (The spindle is visible from the bottom of the drive, and you
will have to move the circuit board out a little.  I make NO
guarrantees that this will work, altho it worked for me.  All I
can say is be VERY careful.)

As an aside, I build about 200 PC clones with Segates in them, and
none of them had any problems.  I build about 10 with Miniscribe,
and every last one of them died.  Go figure.  I am using an ST296N
now and it works wonderfully.