[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Roland MPU-401 and the Amiga?

lll@iris.brown.edu (Larry Larrivee) (03/29/91)

I'm posting this for a friend with a brain-dead newsreader:
---------------
Has anyone ever attempted to use this device with an Amiga?  I recently
found
a source of these for dirt cheap; unfortunately, they come without
software or
documentation.  All I have is a 4"x6"x1" box with some MIDI ports, 1/4"
jacks
and what looks to be a RS-232 serial port.  I know that these are common
in the
MeSsy-DOS world, but I don't know if they will only run with that box.  Can
anyone familiar with this unit come up with a couple of pointers??  I am
not
a MIDI novice, I've been running Dr. T's KCS for years now, but just don't
know my way around this piece of hardware.  Thanx!

akf@iris.brown.edu
-------------
You may reply to the above address or to me at lll@iris.brown.edu.  Thanks.

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/30/91)

In article <54447@inkwell.UUCP> lll@iris.brown.edu (Larry Larrivee) writes:
>Has anyone ever attempted to use this device with an Amiga?  I recently
>found
>a source of these for dirt cheap; unfortunately, they come without
>software or
>documentation.  All I have is a 4"x6"x1" box with some MIDI ports, 1/4"
>jacks
>and what looks to be a RS-232 serial port.

It's not a serial port on the back, it's a special parallel interface that
happens to use a DB-25 connector.  The MPU-401 has a small processor and
some timers inside; it offloads some of the functions required of a
sequencer.

This was very useful back in the Apple II days.  The speed of modern
machines, and the MPU's 8-track limit, have made it such that, these
days, most of the sequencers that I know of (mostly Sequencer Plus Mark
III) just put it in "dumb UART" mode.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl		Keeping 255 messages and deleting 158.