[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] What A500s can use New Agnus?

echadez@isis.cs.du.edu (Edward Vincent Chadez) (03/24/91)

I have a REV 5 mother board in my A500.  My always-eager-to-sell dealer says
that *ALL* A500s can use the new (1Meg CHIP) Angus, but I have heard other-
wise from several sources.  Please enlighten me and other A500 owners.

--ed

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/30/91)

>In article <1991Mar24.042934.16700@isis.cs.du.edu> echadez@isis.cs.du.edu (Edward Vincent Chadez) writes:
>I have a REV 5 mother board in my A500.  My always-eager-to-sell dealer says
>that *ALL* A500s can use the new (1Meg CHIP) Angus, but I have heard other-
>wise from several sources.  Please enlighten me and other A500 owners.
>
>--ed

The "Fatter Agnus" works fine on my Rev. 5 MB. I would suggest (If you haven't
already) adding ram to push total ram well over 1 Meg, before configuring your
machine for 1 Meg of chip ram. Amigas thrive on fast ram for speed.

Chip ram is shared by two processors, the 680X0 and the Agnus chip. This
is considered as "slow ram". "Fast ram" is used only by the 680X0 processor.

--
Erick Parsons, Sacramento  erick@sactoh0.sac.ca.us <-- Right off the freeway  --
{ames att sun }!pacbell!sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk <-- At the end of the road --