[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Snapping Monitor Problem

morgana@canard.wrc.xerox.com (Steve Morgana) (03/26/91)

I think this has been asked several times before, but I did not pay
attention since I didn't think it could happen to me :-), perhaps it
should go into the frequently asked questions posting.

The rgb monitor attached to my A1000 has started "snapping", about once
every 5 or 6 minutes.  At first I didnt think it was a big deal, but
once, when I was debugging my LUCAS board, I noticed that whenever the
monitor snapped, my logic probe would indicate a pulse occured even when
it was not actually in use.  I assume that something nasty is happening
to the power supply during these snapping episodes.

I dont remember the model number of the monitor, but its the one that
was sold back in the very beginning of Amiga time.

Stephen
morgana.wbst128@xerox.com

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (03/26/91)

morgana@canard.wrc.xerox.com (Steve Morgana) writes:
>I think this has been asked several times before, but I did not pay
>attention since I didn't think it could happen to me :-), perhaps it
>should go into the frequently asked questions posting.
>The rgb monitor attached to my A1000 has started "snapping", about once
>every 5 or 6 minutes.  At first I didnt think it was a big deal, but
>once, when I was debugging my LUCAS board, I noticed that whenever the
>monitor snapped, my logic probe would indicate a pulse occured even when
>it was not actually in use.  I assume that something nasty is happening
>to the power supply during these snapping episodes.
>I dont remember the model number of the monitor, but its the one that
>was sold back in the very beginning of Amiga time.

Mine is very OLD also, and mi would "snap" and have a little "starburst"
in the middle of the screen, (A little Explosion)
and then of late, it's been "blacking" out.
The picture would die, turing it on/off would correct it on SOME
instances..

But it seems a LOT better NOW. What i did.

1) Opend the Dang thing. (BE CAREFULL, Ya COULD KILL YA SELF)
2) Dusted it out. (with a feather duster.)
3) Removed the internal speaker.(I broke it opening the case :^( )
 (Removing the speaker will help airflow through the case :^)

4) Took black tape, and there appeared to be "melted" plastic
on the main CRT tube, at the small end, near some plastic rings.
I cleande off the "melted" stuff, (Very brittle)
and wraped the area in Black tape.

Well it ain't gone bad since.

I don't know what the OTHER people did to fix their problem.. :^)
.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  aka Willis F York   aka Squid on IRC
The only thing that Apple invented is the idea to borrow Xerox-invented ideas.

tbissett@nstar.rn.com (Travis Bissett) (03/29/91)

morgana@canard.wrc.xerox.com (Steve Morgana) writes:

> The rgb monitor attached to my A1000 has started "snapping", about once
> every 5 or 6 minutes.  At first I didnt think it was a big deal, but
> once, when I was debugging my LUCAS board, I noticed that whenever the
> monitor snapped, my logic probe would indicate a pulse occured even when
> it was not actually in use.  I assume that something nasty is happening
> to the power supply during these snapping episodes.
>
> I dont remember the model number of the monitor, but its the one that
> was sold back in the very beginning of Amiga time.

This may be a lightning bug common to early 1080 monitors manufactured for
CBM by Toshiba. If so, then it is near catastrophic failure. If this msg
reaches you in time I advise you to not use that monitor until repairs can
be made. Start searching right away for AMAZING COMPUTING FOR THE COMMODORE
AMIGA volume 5 number 7 (July '90) where the fix is well documented. It
seems that a heat sink near the high voltage section inadvertently acts as a
capacitor -- and discharges thru board components. 2 years ago mine snapped
for a while (ignorance is not always bliss) then smoked a resistor and an
inductor. The resistor was simple but the inductor was impossible. Neither
Toshiba nor CBM would sell me that part nor provide engineering info that
would allow me to replace it. I sold it for $50 as salvage to a guy who
happened to have a CBM repairman for a friend. This guy worked CBM service
hard for 3 months and they finally sent him a salvaged component. And that
monitor is working well for him to this day. The moral is that it can be
fixed if caught in time -- but if not it may be fatal to the monitor. Good
luck!

Travis

--
Travis Bissett                       NSTAR conferencing site 219-289-0287
internet: tbissett@nstar.rn.com              1300 newsgroups - 8 inbound lines

dtiberio@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/01/91)

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)