[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HELP! Problems w/ SupraRam 500RX

rrizzo@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Robert J Rizzo) (03/30/91)

Here is the situation, I bought the Supra Ram 500 RX with 1meg installed
and installed an extra meg of chips myself.  It works fine except when
I mount a RAD device and reboot.  It won't reboot it either sits there
or gives me an error telling me that the drive in df0: is unreadable.
I have tried many different size rad: drives and have unhooked all of my
external devices to see if the power was being drained (all I have is
an A501 memory expansion and CA-880 external drive anyway ).

Is there anyone out there with the same problem?  I have called Supra's
lame technical support (at my expense I might add) and they are still
jerking me around.  They told me that I have to wait for a disk with
a program to check the ram chips, which should have been in the box
when I bought it at the AmigaWorld Expo but wasn't because they didn't
finish writing the program yet!  Nice, real nice, they sold me an UNFINISHED
product AND told me that I would have no problem with my configuration.
Not only that, they kept me on hold for 20 minutes the first time, and for
15 the second (they don't have an 300 number and their tech support hours are
during the most expensive times to call Oregon from New York).  The technical
rep told me that I would just have to wait for the disk before they could
know for sure if it was the expansion or the chips.  Now I am really screwed,
I spent 140 bucks for the expansion and 65 for the chips and by the time I
get the ram test disk my warrantee will be up on the chips.  Any suggestions?
Dig a hole and bury the damn thing?  Sorry for being so lengthy I really need
help.

thanks,
bob

rrizzo@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

rrizzo@csws5.ic.sunysb.edu (Robert J Rizzo) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.161901.2942@sbcs.sunysb.edu> rrizzo@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (Robert J Rizzo) writes:

>Here is the situation, I bought the Supra Ram 500 RX with 1meg installed
>and installed an extra meg of chips myself.  It works fine except when
>I mount a RAD device and reboot.  It won't reboot it either sits there
>or gives me an error telling me that the drive in df0: is unreadable.
>I have tried many different size rad: drives and have unhooked all of my
>external devices to see if the power was being drained (all I have is
>an A501 memory expansion and CA-880 external drive anyway ).
>
>Is there anyone out there with the same problem?  I have called Supra's
>lame technical support (at my expense I might add) and they are still
>jerking me around.  They told me that I have to wait for a disk with
>a program to check the ram chips, which should have been in the box
>when I bought it at the AmigaWorld Expo but wasn't because they didn't
>finish writing the program yet!  Nice, real nice, they sold me an UNFINISHED
>product AND told me that I would have no problem with my configuration.
>Not only that, they kept me on hold for 20 minutes the first time, and for
>15 the second (they don't have an 300 number and their tech support hours are
>during the most expensive times to call Oregon from New York).  The technical
>rep told me that I would just have to wait for the disk before they could
>know for sure if it was the expansion or the chips.  Now I am really screwed,
>I spent 140 bucks for the expansion and 65 for the chips and by the time I
>get the ram test disk my warrantee will be up on the chips.  Any suggestions?
>Dig a hole and bury the damn thing?  Sorry for being so lengthy I really need
>help.

	One more thing I want to add.  On page 15 of this months issue
	of Amiga World Supra has a full page add for their memory
	products.  They say that the 500RX comes with test and trouble
	shooting sofware, When I talked to them last week their technical
	rep told me it wasn't done yet!  They also couldn't give me
	any firm specs on what power supply I could use with the unit.
	Mind you the power supply could be the source of my problems so
	BEWARE if you buy this product ask ALOT of questions before you
	do it don't be like me and get screwed afterwards!!!

rrizzo@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu