[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 2MB SIMM modules?

BYRNE@muppet.dnet.ge.com (03/29/91)

Well, I think I am finally going to get a hard drive for my A500 (If it clears
with the wife :-).  I've decided on the GVP Series II A500-HD+.  It says it can
handle 8 MB of RAM expansion using the provided 4 SIMM sockets. Amiga World had
an article saying you can upgrade in multiples of 2 MB which suggests the slots
take 2 MB SIMMs.  The question I have is do 2 MB SIMMs exist?  I've only heard
of 1 MB and 4 MB SIMMs.  Also, any article in Amiga World implied that a full 8
MB expansion only cost them $269!?!  Thanks...

                        - FB

P.S.  If anyone owns one of these beasts I'm interested in your comments.

tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Todd A. Green) (03/29/91)

In article <49217@nigel.ee.udel.edu> BYRNE@muppet.dnet.ge.com writes:
>take 2 MB SIMMs.  The question I have is do 2 MB SIMMs exist?  I've only heard

2mb simms do exist and are used in the newer Macs.  Somewhat recent prices for
1mb simms were $35-40.

Todd
Todd A. Green   "<_CyberWolf_>"  --> Pascal <- InterNet:
Unix Systems Administration      --> Unix <--- tagreen@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu
Macintosh Systems Administration --> VMS <---- tagreen@rose.ucs.indiana.edu
WCC:136.04  Phone:(812) 855-0949 --> C <------ BitNet:
"This is the end, my only        --> Mac <---- tagreen@iubacs.BITNET
 friend, the end"                --> NeXT <--- NeXT Mail:
-Jim Morrison                    --> SunOS <-- tagreen@lothario.ucs.indiana.edu

GaryWeir@cup.portal.com (Gary M Weir) (03/29/91)

BYRNE@muppet.dnet.ge.com writes:

>Well, I think I am finally going to get a hard drive for my A500 (If
>it clears with the wife :-).  I've decided on the GVP Series II
>A500-HD+.  It says it can handle 8 MB of RAM expansion using the
>provided 4 SIMM sockets. Amiga World had an article saying you can
>upgrade in multiples of 2 MB which suggests the slots take 2 MB
>SIMMs.  The question I have is do 2 MB SIMMs exist?  I've only heard
>of 1 MB and 4 MB SIMMs.  Also, any article in Amiga World implied
>that a full 8 MB expansion only cost them $269!?!  Thanks...

I have the drive and it takes either 1 meg SIMMs or 4 meg SIMMS.
The 1 meg SIMMs must be installed in pairs though.  I doubt the
price on the 8 MB expansion since the going price for 4 meg SIMMs
is about in the $250 range.

         GaryWeir@cup.portal.com

P.S.  I got my drive in December.  I love it but then again it is
my first so I have nothing to compare it to.  Haven't had any
problems though.

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (03/29/91)

BYRNE@muppet.dnet.ge.com writes:

>Well, I think I am finally going to get a hard drive for my A500 (If it clears
>with the wife :-).  I've decided on the GVP Series II A500-HD+.  It says it can
>handle 8 MB of RAM expansion using the provided 4 SIMM sockets. Amiga World had
>an article saying you can upgrade in multiples of 2 MB which suggests the slots
>take 2 MB SIMMs.  The question I have is do 2 MB SIMMs exist?  I've only heard
>of 1 MB and 4 MB SIMMs.  Also, any article in Amiga World implied that a full 8
>MB expansion only cost them $269!?!  Thanks...
No - it does not imply 2MB SIMMs. The 68k has a 16 bit data bus, so you
need multiples of 2 SIMMS to keep it happy. So:
2MB  =  2*1MB SIMMs
4MB  =  4*1MB SIMMs
6MB  =  err, umm
8MB  =  2*4MB SIMMs
it could continue
10MB =  2*4MB, 2*1MB
16MB =  4*4MB

but the 68k can only access 16MB, and some (I'd guess 1/2) of the space
would be allocated for other things (like ROM, I/O). Does this beast
actually do 6MB? If so, does anyone know how they fit it into 4 slots?

John West (stealing Andrew's account)
Once upon a time there was a fish

GaryWeir@cup.portal.com (Gary M Weir) (03/30/91)

John West asks:  How does GVP get 6 megs?

I'm at work and away from my Amiga but as I recall, they have one 4 meg
SIMM in the first slot and then two 1 meg SIMMs in slots 3 and 4.

As an aside, the 4 meg SIMMs must go in the first two slots.

       GaryWeir@cup.portal.com

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (03/30/91)

In article <40656@cup.portal.com> GaryWeir@cup.portal.com (Gary M Weir) writes:

>I have the drive and it takes either 1 meg SIMMs or 4 meg SIMMS.
>The 1 meg SIMMs must be installed in pairs though.  I doubt the
>price on the 8 MB expansion since the going price for 4 meg SIMMs
>is about in the $250 range.

This is from memory, but I think The Chip Merchant has 4 meg SIMMs for $159,
and several other vendors have them for under $200.  I don't have the number
handy, but you could probably post in comp.sys.mac.hardware and get a quick
phone number reference.

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (04/02/91)

GaryWeir@cup.portal.com (Gary M Weir) writes:

>John West asks:  How does GVP get 6 megs?

>I'm at work and away from my Amiga but as I recall, they have one 4 meg
>SIMM in the first slot and then two 1 meg SIMMs in slots 3 and 4.

>As an aside, the 4 meg SIMMs must go in the first two slots.

>       GaryWeir@cup.portal.com
Excuse my ignorance, but are 4MB SIMMs 16 bits wide? I'm only a poor
pennyless student, who will probably never have the cash to get one of
my very own to check. At least not until I graduate (not for a while at
the rate I'm going)

John West (stealing Andrew's account)
Eric's a happy fish