[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Anyone own an ICD SCSI hd controler? Others mentioned..

IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) (03/26/91)

  Does anyone have an ICD hd controler and wish to comment on its
performance?  Dperf2 results?  The reason I ask is that this is a
very cheap controler ($129) and a friend of mine is looking for a
cheap/fast controler. In fact Manta, a new Amiga Mail order dealer,
said that diskspeed tests indicated that the ICD Outperformed the
GVP series II by a good margin and blew away the Trump Card Pro.
  The salesman from Manta claims that the Trump Card Pro is actually
slower than most of the other, CHEAPER controllers and that to get
the 1.9 meg per sec you need a multi-thousand dollar 20 mega-bit hd.
  On a side note, I tested my HardFrame 2000 against a GVP series II
controller and the HF was about 100k per second faster and had 200 more
seeks per sec.  (I used the same hd on each controller to aviod
inconsistancies).  In 33mhz accelerated mode, my Hardframe increased
its lead over the GVP series II.
   Sorry to get side-tracked but I suspect a lot of people want to know
which controllers are really faster than others.. Rather than the
typical mail order shop which follows the following guideline:
"The controller in stock is always the fastest one available.."  :)

                      -Tom Nezwek

pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) (03/29/91)

In article <91084.191834IO91461@MAINE.BITNET> IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) writes:

>  Does anyone have an ICD hd controler and wish to comment on its
>performance?  Dperf2 results?  The reason I ask is that this is a

Well, I have an 'ADscsi 2000', or as they used to call it an 'Advantage
2000' SCSI host adaptor.  I use it with a Imprimis/Seagate 94350-230S/
ST-1239N 200 Meg. drive, which is rated at 15ms access.

While I don't seem to have the figures handy, it seemed to peak out
at somewhere around 600k reads, on my unaccelerated A2000.  This seems
to jibe fairly closely with the readings ICD publishes using Quantum
drives of similiar performance.  In those specs, it shows the ICD to
be faster than nearly every other controller shown (which includes the
GVP II, Wordsync, Trumpcard, 2091, and others) in most parameters.  Since
the ICD is not a DMA device, and since it uses data caching, the specs
are particularly impressive on an accelerated Amiga.  The only card that
had any significant number of parameters where it occasionally beat the
ICD (according to their tests) was the HardFrame.

On the other hand, someone mentioned recently in one of the Amiga
newsgroups, that because of the algorhythm that ICD uses for caching,
some bad stuff could happen if the cpu happens to crash at certain
moments.  I don't know much about that.  I don't have much experience
with a _good_ DMA controller (the A2090 I had before doesn't qualify!),
so I don't know what the differences would be.  I do notice with the
ICD that screen updates don't appear to happen until the transfer/directory
scan finishes.  This may be due to the fact that non-DMA controllers
tie up the CPU more.

The reason I bought the ICD was the price, the (reputed) speed, and the
removeable-media support.  Before anyone else, ICD claimed to support
auto-diskchange, and to this day I believe they are the only ones who
say you can interchange _differently partitioned_ Syquest cartridges
without having to restart everything.  Unfortunately, the documentation
I received with my board is pretty sketchy...one of the few that comes
close to rivalling Commodore in that respect, unfortunately.

By the way, I tested the speed with Diskspeed 3.1, which is by all
accounts a superior benchmark program to Dperf2.  Khalid Aldoseiri,
who wrote Dperf and frequents CI$, noted some of its limitations
himself, such as choking at very high data-transfer rates.  I believe
Diskspeed 3.1 is either PD or shareware, and commonly available.  It
might help to have a standard frame of reference for these comparisons.

>                      -Tom Nezwek

				Philip
				pk@wet.uucp
				{ucsfcca,claris,hoptoad}!wet!pk

In article <2254@wet.UUCP> pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:

>I do notice with the ICD that screen updates don't appear to happen until the
>transfer/directory scan finishes.  This may be due to the fact that non-DMA
>controllers tie up the CPU more.

Sure 'nuf.  And if the ICD that's shipping is the same design as the one we
tested last year on the A3000, it's using up ALL the CPU time during disk
reads.  Even during seeks.  It triggered the A3000's default timeout of just
over 8us (that's about 200 68030 wait states).  No functional problem on
production A3000s, which enable to longterm bus error timeout at 1/4 sec,
but an awful waste of your CPU time.  The A2091 uses around 40% of the CPU
time during a disk transfer, the A3000 about 6%.

>The reason I bought the ICD was the price, the (reputed) speed, and the
>removeable-media support.

That is the fastest way to run a hard disk, if all you care about is disk
performance (eg, CPU time doesn't limit you anywhere).  This technique is
very popular on single-tasking systems like PClones and Macs.

>By the way, I tested the speed with Diskspeed 3.1, which is by all
>accounts a superior benchmark program to Dperf2.

It really is.  DPerf doesn't have enough grain at higher speeds, and will
apparently die if it goes too fast.  Mike Sinz could fill in all the details.
One interesting test of SYSTEM performance is to run DiskSpeed and Dhrystone
2.1 at the same time.  What's really needed, though, is a simple "remaining
CPU time" mode in DiskSpeed, so you can not only guage the disk performance,
but the amount of CPU time you're paying for that speed.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

In article <2254@wet.UUCP> pk@wet.UUCP (Philip King) writes:
>In article <91084.191834IO91461@MAINE.BITNET> IO91461@MAINE.BITNET (Tom Nezwek) writes:
>>
>>  Does anyone have an ICD hd controler and wish to comment on its
>>performance?  Dperf2 results?  The reason I ask is that this is a
>
>Well, I have an 'ADscsi 2000', or as they used to call it an 'Advantage
>2000' SCSI host adaptor.  I use it with a Imprimis/Seagate 94350-230S/
>ST-1239N 200 Meg. drive, which is rated at 15ms access.
>
>While I don't seem to have the figures handy, it seemed to peak out
>at somewhere around 600k reads, on my unaccelerated A2000.  This seems
>to jibe fairly closely with the readings ICD publishes using Quantum
>drives of similiar performance.

	I would expect it to be in the same range as the other people using
Quantums, since the base hardware is the same, and for larger transfers
the speed is basicly limited by the speed at which the bits come off the
platter (assuming you have a controller/processor that can keep up - most
can).

>  In those specs, it shows the ICD to
>be faster than nearly every other controller shown (which includes the
>GVP II, Wordsync, Trumpcard, 2091, and others) in most parameters.  Since
>the ICD is not a DMA device, and since it uses data caching, the specs
>are particularly impressive on an accelerated Amiga.  The only card that
>had any significant number of parameters where it occasionally beat the
>ICD (according to their tests) was the HardFrame.

	Once again, see above.  One thing that current disk performance
modules don't do well is measure cpu usage (the diskspeed "cpu contention"
thing is pretty useless, since it's a busy-wait at priority 0, and the
cpu-intensive transfers occur from higher-priority tasks).  DMA contention
is a good testing idea, and does affect cpu-bound controllers to some degree.

>On the other hand, someone mentioned recently in one of the Amiga
>newsgroups, that because of the algorhythm that ICD uses for caching,
>some bad stuff could happen if the cpu happens to crash at certain
>moments.  I don't know much about that.  I don't have much experience
>with a _good_ DMA controller (the A2090 I had before doesn't qualify!),

	What do you mean by caching?  there are several different things:
cpu caching of data from memory in a cache, drives with sector caches on
them used to preread data or hold data already read, and cached controllers
which are like the drive caches, but the memory is on the card (a bit like
a fixed number of addbuffers).  CPU caching shouldn't cause any problems
with ICD.

>so I don't know what the differences would be.  I do notice with the
>ICD that screen updates don't appear to happen until the transfer/directory
>scan finishes.  This may be due to the fact that non-DMA controllers
>tie up the CPU more.

	Right. I think you'll find that you're hitting close to 100% CPU
usage (at high priority) when doing disk IO.  Acceptable to some people,
unacceptable to others (such as in multimedia it can be annoying, running
animations, etc).  Have you tested serial response (dropped characters) when
doing heavy disk I/O?  BTW, I do believe that IDE drives will show up as
slightly faster in some cases, at the cost of massive amounts of CPU overhead
(on reasonably fast CPUs, they can stay ahead of the interface, and there's
less setup/protocol overhead to start a transfer.  But they kill multitasking
performance to do this.)

>The reason I bought the ICD was the price, the (reputed) speed, and the
>removeable-media support.  Before anyone else, ICD claimed to support
>auto-diskchange, and to this day I believe they are the only ones who
>say you can interchange _differently partitioned_ Syquest cartridges
>without having to restart everything.

	Should be possible, though a bit tricky.  Long-term plans here are
to modify the rdb standard/implementation to make that easy for everyone.

>By the way, I tested the speed with Diskspeed 3.1, which is by all
>accounts a superior benchmark program to Dperf2.  Khalid Aldoseiri,
>who wrote Dperf and frequents CI$, noted some of its limitations
>himself, such as choking at very high data-transfer rates.  I believe
>Diskspeed 3.1 is either PD or shareware, and commonly available.  It
>might help to have a standard frame of reference for these comparisons.

	Diskspeed is far better, especially for fast drives.  I dumped
diskperf (not that I liked it before this) when the new 2.0 ramdisk was so
fast that diskperf tried to divide bytes transferred by 0 ticks.  (It does
~6-6.5 Mb/s on my A3000 nowadays).  It also said my changes had produced a
10x improvement in speed for exnext, when my own exnext benchmark showed more
like 10-20% (at the time).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (04/04/91)

writes:

> While I don't seem to have the figures handy, it seemed to
> peak out at somewhere around 600k reads, on my
> unaccelerated A2000.
> [...]
> In those specs, it shows the ICD to be faster than nearly
> every other controller shown (which includes the GVP II,
> Wordsync, Trumpcard, 2091, and others) in most parameters.

600k reads on a standard A2000 is no problem for the A2091
or GVP's Series-II (don't know about Wordsync or Trumpcard).

> Before anyone else, ICD claimed to support
> auto-diskchange,

GVP have supported removable media for >2 years now.

Ralph

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (04/04/91)

In article <20352@cbmvax.commodore.com>,
jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:

>> On the other hand, someone mentioned recently in one of
>> the Amiga newsgroups, that because of the algorhythm that
>> ICD uses for caching, some bad stuff could happen if the
>> cpu happens to crash at certain moments.
>
> What do you mean by caching?  there are several different
> things: cpu caching of data from memory in a cache, drives
> with sector caches on them used to preread data or hold
> data already read, and cached controllers which are like
> the drive caches, but the memory is on the card (a bit
> like a fixed number of addbuffers).  CPU caching shouldn't
> cause any problems with ICD.

True. Philip was referring to ICD's deferred writing of disk
sectors, however.

Ralph