[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP Acceleratorsz

baker@wbc.enet.dec.com (03/29/91)

In In comp.sys.amiga.hardware dltaylor@cns.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Dan Taylor) writes:

>>	In particular, can a rev7 GVP 50 MHz run Unix?
.
.
.
>So, what is the problem with GVP boards?  Just because I use Syvania
>light bulbs instead of Phillips light bulbs doesn't mean I should have
>to port my electricity.  It runs AmigaDOS/EXEC right?  Have they
>lobotomized the MMU? (difficult when its on the same chip with the cpu)
.
.
.
>I've never seen the GVP board, but if this is a legitimate claim (that it
>won't run commodore UNIX)  i'd like to know what they did to achieve this.

	I think a lot of this confusion about GVP boards is because they
	pulled the Unix boot ROM sockets off the Rev 7 accelerator board.
	All at once, rumors began to fly that GVP couldn't run CBM Unix.

	The truth of it is that CBM changed their bootstrap procedure so
	that special Unix ROM's are no longer needed.  The ones used for
	booting AmigaDOS do the Unix boot as well.

	The only Unix porting issue that GVP has to contend with is that
	they need to write a Unix device driver for the IDE hard drive
	controller on their accelerator board.  That's it.  They don't
	need to "port" Unix.  They just need to supply device drivers
	for any of their controllers that they want to support...

	Last year sometime, I spoke to one of the GVP engineers at a
	Commodore show about running Unix on their boards.  At that time,
	he said that they had been running CBM Unix in-house quite
	succesfully on their accelerators; they were beta-testers in fact.

	Regards,
	 Art Baker

	* Art Baker			| "Whatever happened	*
	* baker@wbc.enet.dec.com	|   to Fay Wray..."	*
	* PLINK: A*BAKER		|			*

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar29.145809.24285@decuac.dec.com>,
baker@wbc.enet.dec.com writes:

> I think a lot of this confusion about GVP boards is
> because they pulled the Unix boot ROM sockets off the Rev
> 7 accelerator board.

They didn't.

Ralph