[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Hardrives and the A3000

cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (03/18/91)

Has anyone out there found a viable solution/reason for the second
hard drive problem that is bugging so many of us A3000 owners?  I am
going to call commdore *Again* and try to get someone on the phone who
can help me.  I urge all of you A3000 owners out there experiencing
similar problems to get on the phones or get your pen and pencil out
and bug commdore until we find out what the heck the problem is.

ping commdore

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/19/91)

In article <27494@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:

>Has anyone out there found a viable solution/reason for the second
>hard drive problem that is bugging so many of us A3000 owners?  I am
>going to call commdore *Again* and try to get someone on the phone who
>can help me.  I urge all of you A3000 owners out there experiencing
>similar problems to get on the phones or get your pen and pencil out
>and bug commdore until we find out what the heck the problem is.
>
>ping commdore

I am still having the same problem, too!
I finally received SOME e-mail from a CBM guy who asked the same questions:
  1. Termination on last HD in SCSI chain?
  2. Is 2nd HD spinning up in time?
  3. Is reselection bit set to "NO" on both?

Of course I have answered these questions a <1000...> times. 8)
I wish CBM would just admit the problem is hw and not setup/operator error!

--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu

cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.204049.9791@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
>In article <27494@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> cr1@shark.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) writes:
>>
>>Has anyone out there found a viable solution/reason for the second
>>hard drive problem that is bugging so many of us A3000 owners?  I am

>I finally received SOME e-mail from a CBM guy who asked the same questions:
>  1. Termination on last HD in SCSI chain?
>  2. Is 2nd HD spinning up in time?
>  3. Is reselection bit set to "NO" on both?
>
>Of course I have answered these questions a <1000...> times. 8)
>I wish CBM would just admit the problem is hw and not setup/operator error!

Apparently lots of us are having problems and we aren't having a hell
of a lot of luck finding a solution.

The best answer I have received so far is 'well, the ST157N you are
using is just too slow in its warm-up', I don't buy that because there
are people out there with two quantums having the same problem...

Sure wish 'the crew that never rests' could find a solution to all
this.

Ping Commodore

GHGAQZ4@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be (03/19/91)

From the discussions going on in this newsgroup it seems that there can
be a lot of troubles with adding a second harddisk to the Amiga 3000.
Are there troubles for all types of harddisks or is it just some
types (like seagate) that cause troubles.
I want to buy a second Quantum 200 MB harddisk (or 105 MB) to add to
my Amiga 3000. What must I keep in mind ? What are the possible problems
that I must be aware of ? ...

Thanks in advance

                     Jorrit Tyberghein

frank@morpheus.UUCP (Frank McPherson) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar18.204049.9791@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:

>I am still having the same problem, too!
>I finally received SOME e-mail from a CBM guy who asked the same questions:
>  1. Termination on last HD in SCSI chain?
>  2. Is 2nd HD spinning up in time?
>  3. Is reselection bit set to "NO" on both?
>
>Of course I have answered these questions a <1000...> times. 8)
>I wish CBM would just admit the problem is hw and not setup/operator error!
>
>--
>Art Warner
>wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu
>Amiga makes it happen.......IBM, Mac, Sun, and Next make it expensive!

--
How are you so absolutely positive that it's a hardware problem, and
not an operator problem?  I am posting this article from an Amiga 3000 with

-- Frank McPherson		    INTERNET: emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu --

gt1619a@prism.gatech.EDU (l'Harbinger de la Voyage Eternel) (03/19/91)

In article <91078.112040GHGAQZ4@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be> GHGAQZ4@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be writes:
>From the discussions going on in this newsgroup it seems that there can
>be a lot of troubles with adding a second harddisk to the Amiga 3000.
>Are there troubles for all types of harddisks or is it just some
>types (like seagate) that cause troubles.
>I want to buy a second Quantum 200 MB harddisk (or 105 MB) to add to
>my Amiga 3000. What must I keep in mind ? What are the possible problems
>that I must be aware of ? ...
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>                     Jorrit Tyberghein

Well, I'm not sure of any problems, personally. I have an A3000/25, and bought
a second hard-disk and installed it and it works beautifully. I've had no prob-
lems and I use both drives pretty heavily....

James D. McIninch
School of Applied Biology
Georgia Institute of Technology, Box 31619
Atlanta, Georgia 30332
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt1619a
Internet: gt1619a@prism.gatech.edu
*   The goal: to design CAD/CAM software and hardware for the creation   *
*             of living things...                                        *

denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson) (03/20/91)

Commodore has had this problem with 2 SCSI drives since the 2091 controller
and the 590 on the A500. They have not owned up to the problem for a couple of
years so don't expect them to face the music now. They just keep repeating the
same old bunk about be sure to have reseltion turned off on both drives and
that this is difficult to do so YOU must be doing something wrong and all your
problems are therefore user caused. There have been so many problems reported
about these controllers that the problems CANNOT be all user error. Good luck
and if you find out any REAL info let the rest of us know.
                                                 Dennis Anderson

sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) (03/20/91)

 I plug CDC SCSI drive to my A3000, strait from a MAC.
 I also use ESDI Hitachi drives.
 Both work fine, only setpu was plug the cable and click 2 or 3 time
 to creat partition...
 I get good benchmark with both, no boot up problems or any other
 kind of problems....
 The ESDI is 170meg and the SCSI is 380meg...

 I get the problem describe by other on my A2000, with a not full
 implemented system reset.(but nothing to do with CBM)

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/20/91)

In article <frank.3536@morpheus.UUCP> frank@morpheus.UUCP (Frank McPherson) writes:
>In article <1991Mar18.204049.9791@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
>>
>>I am still having the same problem, too!
>>I finally received SOME e-mail from a CBM guy who asked the same questions:
>>  1. Termination on last HD in SCSI chain?
>>  2. Is 2nd HD spinning up in time?
>>  3. Is reselection bit set to "NO" on both?
>>
>>Of course I have answered these questions a <1000...> times. 8)
>>I wish CBM would just admit the problem is hw and not setup/operator error!
>>
>>--
>>Art Warner
>>wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu
>>Amiga makes it happen.......IBM, Mac, Sun, and Next make it expensive!
>
>--
>How are you so absolutely positive that it's a hardware problem, and
>not an operator problem?  I am posting this article from an Amiga 3000 with
>TWO internal hard drives.  One is in the rear bay, a Quantum 105.  The
>other is in the second floppy bay (had to drill some extra holes for it)
>and is a Quantum 170.  I've never had any problems with my drives.
>

>-- Frank McPherson		    INTERNET: emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu --

Just because you haven't had troubles with your particular setup doesn't
necessarily mean that all of the 3000's having troubles are setup wrong.
I am an electronics technician and know troubleshooting procedures thoroughly!
It can not be a setup/operator error if someone follows all given directions
"to the letter" and still has problems.  This puts the blame on either
poor directions (left out procedures) or faulty system hw/sw.
  If I were the only person having this problem and posting to this net, then
I might tend to agree with you.  Due to the fact that I have received over
25 e-mails from different individuals with different setups, I have to disagree.
There were Seagates, Conners, Quantums, Miniscribes, etc that were not being
recognized upon cold startups and alternating warm-reboots therafter.
  If anyone has solved this problem or has EDUCATED suggestions, PLEASE write
or post.
Thank-you.
--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu
Amiga makes it happen.......IBM, Mac, Sun, and Next make it expensive!

passaret@brahe.crd.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti) (03/20/91)

#include "nomex.h"

Notice:  This article contains what may seem to be a flame.  As I
don't wish to alarm you, there is also an explanation of why the
flame started in the first place.  I thought about deleting it
and just sending off the rational part, but it doesn't make the
point quite as plainly.  Read with a grain (nay, a slab) of salt.

In article <1991Mar19.222827.16244@en.ecn.purdue.edu>
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
# >How are you so absolutely positive that it's a hardware problem, and
# >not an operator problem?  I am posting this article from an Amiga 3000 with
# >TWO internal hard drives.  One is in the rear bay, a Quantum 105.  The
# >other is in the second floppy bay (had to drill some extra holes for it)
# >and is a Quantum 170.  I've never had any problems with my drives.
# >
# >
# >-- Frank McPherson		    INTERNET: emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu --
#
[...]
#    --
#    Art Warner
#    wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu
#    Amiga makes it happen.......IBM, Mac, Sun, and Next make it expensive!

#define HARSH_WORDS_AHEAD

OK "Mr. I know troubleshooting procedures thoroughly", what's
the common denominator?  If you have 25 cases, then you ought to
have enough info to tell us that, and to solve the problem,
instead of griping about how Commodore has their heads wedged.
Have you at least sent this compilation of problems to
"bugs@cbmvax"?  Are you, in fact, trying to solve this, or are
you just trying to be a squeaky wheel and make someone else do
the work?

I've got two Quantums (the stock 105 and an 80) on my 3000 and
they work great.  Give me until tomorrow and I'll send you the
Kick/Work revisions, my partition list, and my motherboard revs.
Get that info from everybody else on your list, and then if you
don't feel like doing the skull work yourself, pass it off to me
and I'll be glad to collate it and try to find the LCD.  Just do
your cause a favor and stop screaming your head off without
providing any more useful info than "It's broken and those nasty
people at Commodore can't read my mind and my system config long
distance over the network and fix it!"

#undef HARSH_WORDS_AHEAD
#define   EXPLANATION_FOLLOWS

Sorry about the flaming here, but I'm just tired of all this
flak.  I'm serious here.  Send me the info you've recieved,
and I'll try and take a serious look at the problem.  Anybody who
is having this problem, send me the Kick/Work revisions, your
startup-sequences, mountlists, etc.  Motherboard revs and HD
specs will be useful as well.  I'll post a summary as soon as the
expected flood turns into a trickle.  Let's see if we can nail
this sucker.  I don't think you're all crazy, I just think that
we need to apply a little less Chicken Little and a little more
scientific method to this problem.

                                                        - MM

--
passaretti@crd.ge.com                     {whatever}!crdgw1!brahe!passaret

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/21/91)

>Notice:  This article contains what may seem to be a flame.  As I
>don't wish to alarm you, there is also an explanation of why the
>flame started in the first place.  I thought about deleting it
>and just sending off the rational part, but it doesn't make the
>point quite as plainly.  Read with a grain (nay, a slab) of salt.

>#define HARSH_WORDS_AHEAD

>OK "Mr. I know troubleshooting procedures thoroughly", what's
>the common denominator?  If you have 25 cases, then you ought to

Mr. "know-it-all" here to report that the 25 cases that I recieved
included only the fact that they too were having the same proble
with a 3000 and various 2nd HDrives.  I realize that the more info
that you have, the better you can diagnose the problem, but
unfortunately I have only my own specs to give you.  I will
get them to you ASAP.
  I apologize if I seemed to be flaming, but I am just frustrated
with the HD problem and some of the idiotic questions/suggestions
that I have been receiving from some people.  (ie. Did you format
the drive?.....No, I just happen to be accessing/using it every other
reboot through the mystery of trons!)   Sorry, I digress.

>have enough info to tell us that, and to solve the problem,
>instead of griping about how Commodore has their heads wedged.
>Have you at least sent this compilation of problems to
>"bugs@cbmvax"?

Yes, Yes and Yes.  I have written them, called them (phone bill to
prove it, and e-mailed them (several times over) and posted.
I will have to say that they "seem" concerned.  I got e-mail from
3 C= reps, including Dave H.  They are aware of the problem and
have been since the release of the 2091.

>Are you, in fact, trying to solve this, or are
>you just trying to be a squeaky wheel and make someone else do
>the work?

I have noticed that the squeaky wheel usually gets greased first.
By your correspondence, this seems to hold true.  Would you have
responded, if you never heard it?

             <stuff deleted>
>don't feel like doing the skull work yourself, pass it off to me
>and I'll be glad to collate it and try to find the LCD.  Just do
>your cause a favor and stop screaming your head off without
>providing any more useful info than "It's broken and those nasty
>people at Commodore can't read my mind and my system config long
>distance over the network and fix it!"
              <more stuff deleted>
>we need to apply a little less Chicken Little and a little more
>scientific method to this problem.

My 3000 specs will be "in the mail" to you ASAP.
Again, I apologize for any apparent "flaming" on my part and we
would appreciate any help that you could give us.
Thank-you.

PS: who knows....maybe even a "know-it-all" like myself can still learn
    a few tricks.

BTW: Passeretti: I tried to e-mail you, but your address doesn't seem to work.
     I tried both addresses in your post.  I hate posting something
     that could be e-mailed.
--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu
Amiga makes it happen.......IBM, Mac, Sun, and Next make it expensive!

aaron@stat.tamu.edu (Aaron Hightower) (03/21/91)

Unrelated to the discussion, but still relating to the subject...

I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could access the inactive boot
partition on the Amiga 1000.  (IE access the WB_1.3 partition while booted in
WB_2.0).

What I would like to do is use ParNet as a file server, and attempt to use
some of the common resources of the system from the A3000 hard drive, but I
want to use the WB_1.3 partition from the other machine, and the 3000 is
usually in WB_2.x.

Please send responses to mail.  If it isn't a trivial answer (and if there is
one) I'll summarize it and put it here (or wherever it should go).

Later,
 Aaron

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (03/22/91)

In article <91078.112040GHGAQZ4@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be>, GHGAQZ4@cc1.kuleuven.ac.be writes...

>From the discussions going on in this newsgroup it seems that there can
>be a lot of troubles with adding a second harddisk to the Amiga 3000.
>Are there troubles for all types of harddisks or is it just some
>types (like seagate) that cause troubles.
>I want to buy a second Quantum 200 MB harddisk (or 105 MB) to add to

I am using a Quantum 105PS and have not had any problems with it as a second
drive.

	John

In article <1991Mar20.220547.4677@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:

>I will have to say that they "seem" concerned.  I got e-mail from
>3 C= reps, including Dave H.  They are aware of the problem and
>have been since the release of the 2091.

"The problem", which has been around since the A2091 or so, is a conflict
between the scsi.device and the WC33C93A SCSI controller chip, which causes
reselection to fail.  There also seems to be some interrupt timing conflict
in one release of the A2091 ROM; I don't believe that has ever been an issue
on the A3000 release of the scsi.device.  Both of these problems result in
the same thing, a hard disk lockup potential when both drives are
simultaneously accessed.  The software people can elaborate, but to my
knowledge the current release of the A3000 software hides all of the user setup
issues in the scsi.device, eg, you can set your drives for reselection if you
like, and the driver will start to use that feature as soon as it's capable of
doing this safely.  Anyway, this problem is well known.

On the other hand, there have been a variety of complaints from people who have
not been able to [a] get two scsi drives working, period, or [b] get the scsi
drives working as fast as Randell does.  That isn't the result of this bug.  As
far as we know, it is a user setup issue.  That's why the questions get asked
as they do, we're only trying to help out.  SCSI isn't my responsibility on the
A3000 or Randell's in 2.0, we're just trying to get people going in the most
expediant way possible.  If you appear to be having a SCSI bus problem, I ask
the same questions I would ask myself if I had a problem setting up an A3000
with two drives (I use at least two drives on every one of my A3000 and
A2500/30 system):

	- Got those unit numbers set properly?
	- Got termination only at the bus ends?  Realizing, of course, that
	  early A3000s had termination on the motherboard, later ones didn't,
	  so "I have termination on SCSI drives at either end of the bus" isn't
	  necessarily the right answer.
	- Got the "Segate" bit set, where appropriate?
	- Are you sure your cables work?  I probably destroy them more than
	  the average person, since I'll plug one cable in over and over again
	  in the lab during system development.  Makes me distrust an arbitrary
	  cable.
	- "SCSI black magic" issues?  I have run into SCSI strangeness, which
	  may just be based on the drive types.  Like I said, I'm not the SCSI
	  wiz around here.  We have a Mac IIcx in the lab which is really testy
	  about anything properly added or deleted from its SCSI bus.  I have a
	  100Meg Conner drive that refuses to work together with any Quantum,
	  but plays just fine with a Sony drive on the bus (well, it did until
	  I dropped the Sony off my lab bench, the Sony now just makes grinding
	  noises).  Anyway, there seems to be some bit of mystery (to me at
	  least) that's independent of the host adaptor involved.  Fortunately,
	  it doesn't seem to show up very often.

And for disk speed questions:

	- Got your MASK, MaxTransfer, and Memory Type values set up for the
	  fastest transfers.
	- You aren't using Diskperf, are you!
	- You're not running out of Fast memory in that test, are you?

>PS: who knows....maybe even a "know-it-all" like myself can still learn
>    a few tricks.

I certainly hope so.  I learn new stuff every day.  If you stop learning, you
stagnate and die; that's a basic law of nature.

>Art Warner

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) (03/22/91)

The only way I know of to access both boot partitions at once is to use the
HDToolBox program provided and change the boot priorities (or something similar)

You also may be able to Mount the partition by setting up a mountlist entry
using the scsi.device - get the cylinder information from HDToolBox.

Jon.

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (03/22/91)

In article <20023@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

>Yes    - Got those unit numbers set properly?
>Yes	- Got termination only at the bus ends?  Realizing, of course, that
>	  early A3000s had termination on the motherboard, later ones didn't,
>	  so "I have termination on SCSI drives at either end of the bus" isn't
>	  necessarily the right answer.
>How?	- Got the "Segate" bit set, where appropriate?
>Yes	- Are you sure your cables work?  I probably destroy them more than
>	  the average person, since I'll plug one cable in over and over again
>	  in the lab during system development.  Makes me distrust an arbitrary
>	  cable.
>Maybe	- "SCSI black magic" issues?  I have run into SCSI strangeness, which
>	  may just be based on the drive types.  Like I said, I'm not the SCSI
>	  wiz around here.  We have a Mac IIcx in the lab which is really testy
>	  about anything properly added or deleted from its SCSI bus.  I have a
>	  100Meg Conner drive that refuses to work together with any Quantum,
>	  but plays just fine with a Sony drive on the bus (well, it did until
>	  I dropped the Sony off my lab bench, the Sony now just makes grinding
>	  noises).  Anyway, there seems to be some bit of mystery (to me at
>	  least) that's independent of the host adaptor involved.  Fortunately,
>	  it doesn't seem to show up very often.
>
>And for disk speed questions:
>
>Yes	- Got your MASK, MaxTransfer, and Memory Type values set up for the
>	  fastest transfers.
>No	- You aren't using Diskperf, are you!
>??	- You're not running out of Fast memory in that test, are you?

One small thing that I have noticed is that different types of reboots affect
the 2nd HD problem.
Here are my current symptoms again:
  Cold boot-up:  No 2nd HD recognized.  Both HD's spinup no problem.
   1st warm rb:     2nd HD recognized.
   2nd  "   rb:  Not recognized
   3rd  "   rb:        "  "
   4th  "   rb:  Not   "  "
   etc .......etc.......etc   forever and forever.......AMEN.

Now does this sound like a sporatic occurence to you?
A glitch?  A borerline timing problem?.....I didn't think so.
I am not saying that it can't be one of these, but it just seems too
coincidental to me.  It acts almost like a switch being turned on and off!

Also, I would like to add that when I reboot after being inside Amax or
"HDtoolbox" an extra reboot is not required to see HD#2.
Is this weird or what?
Now if anyone knows what AMY does different between these reboots, then we
might have figured out what our problem is.

Has anyone figured out yet why the 3000 flashes a yellow screen at you
instead of automaticly rebooting after a crash?  This didn't start occuring
until I added more RAM.  Dave, is this occuring on any of your "maxed-out"
3000's????   Is anyone else having this symptom occur?  I went to the
trouble of removing my extra memory just to verify this and sure enough
the yellow flashies went away. (it would then auto-reboot after any crash or
"kickreboot", nice pd program!, without yellow screen flashes)
--

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (03/22/91)

In article <20023@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Dave Haynie writes:

> "The problem", which has been around since the A2091 or so, is a conflict
> between the scsi.device and the WC33C93A SCSI controller chip, which causes
> reselection to fail.  There also seems to be some interrupt timing conflict
> in one release of the A2091 ROM; [Stuff about the A3000 deleted ]

I have proper termination, and am not using reselection on any of my
drives, therefore, I assume that I am getting bittin by the "interrupt
timing conflict" in the ROM, I have rev 5.92 ROMS, are these by chance the
ones with the timming problem?  Are you sure its specific to one set of the
ROMS?  If it is only in the 5.92 ROMS I will go out today and get 6.1 ROMS,
but if its not corrected by 6.1 then I would prefer to wait until a new
set of ROMS is available.  I have heard of revisions as high at 6.6 (rumors
only) but the highest available version to dealers is 6.1.

Thanks again,

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (03/22/91)

In article <2637@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au>, jpotter@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Jonathan Potter) writes:
> The only way I know of to access both boot partitions at once is to use the
> HDToolBox program provided and change the boot priorities (or something similar)
>
> You also may be able to Mount the partition by setting up a mountlist entry
> using the scsi.device - get the cylinder information from HDToolBox.
>
> Jon.

It is very simple actually.  Turn your A3000 off, turn it on again while
holding both mouse buttons.  Now insert your floppy kickstart disk.  Now
insert your floppy Workbench 2.0.  whalla...  all partitions are visiible.

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.064048.12805@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes...

>In article <20023@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>
>>Yes    - Got those unit numbers set properly?
>>Yes	- Got termination only at the bus ends?  Realizing, of course, that
.
.
.

>One small thing that I have noticed is that different types of reboots affect
>the 2nd HD problem.
>Here are my current symptoms again:
>  Cold boot-up:  No 2nd HD recognized.  Both HD's spinup no problem.
>   1st warm rb:     2nd HD recognized.
>   2nd  "   rb:  Not recognized
>   3rd  "   rb:        "  "
>   4th  "   rb:  Not   "  "
>   etc .......etc.......etc   forever and forever.......AMEN.
>
>Now does this sound like a sporatic occurence to you?

Curious.  Although I've never had a problem like that with my A1000 or A3000,
a friend of mine who has a A2000 has a problem with his floppy that behaves
exactly like that.  It requires two reboots to get it to be recongized.  Its
very consistent.

	John

blgardne@javelin.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (03/23/91)

aaron@stat.tamu.edu (Aaron Hightower) writes:
>I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could access the inactive boot
>partition on the Amiga 1000.  (IE access the WB_1.3 partition while booted in
>WB_2.0).

Just create a mountlist entry for the partition, and use the mount
command. Of course you should remember that any headaches you might
create are now your own, not CBM's.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (03/23/91)

In article <20023@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Dave Haynie writes:

> In article <1991Mar20.220547.4677@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
>
> >I will have to say that they "seem" concerned.  I got e-mail from
> >3 C= reps, including Dave H.  They are aware of the problem and
> >have been since the release of the 2091.
>
> "The problem", which has been around since the A2091 or so, is a conflict
> between the scsi.device and the WC33C93A SCSI controller chip, which causes
> reselection to fail.  There also seems to be some interrupt timing conflict
> in one release of the A2091 ROM; I don't believe that has ever been an issue
> on the A3000 release of the scsi.device.
   [stuff deleted]
> --
> Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>    {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
> 	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

Dave,

     There has to be more to the problems, I have had lockup problems with
my A2091 since I first exchanged my slow Segates for Quantums.  I
definately have reselection turned off on all drives and have proper
termination, I can reliable cause the drive to lock-up with either 5.92
ROMS or 6.1 ROMS.  There is currently no latter ROM available to dealers!
To cause a lockup I need only open two Shells and execute "dir dh0: all" in
one and "dir fh0: all" in the other.  There is a 50/50 chance this will
lock up the system, if it doesn't then repeating the procedure a second
time does.  After reading your post I replaced my 5.92 ROMS with 6.1 and it
made no difference (well actuall it didn't mess up memory location zero any
more, but it still locks up).
     What should I try next?  I really want to get this thing working since
I have always been happy with CBM products in the past and because I would
like to be able to run Unix (which would be a pain if I upgrade to the GVP
controller).  By whole system is:

A2000 rev 4.4 (small upgrade to work with A2630).
A2091 WD "A" Proto chip, 5.92 (and 6.1) ROMS
A2058 2 Megs
A2630 2 Megs
A2320

The A2091 has a Quantum 40P on the card and a Quantum105 in the 5 1/4" bay.
Everything is properly terminated and I have reselection turned off on both
drives (yes, I am sure).

Is there something else I should try.  Is there someone I can write to, in
order to prompt someone to work on this?  Should I upgrade to a GVP and
hope that GVP writes a driver to link with v2.0 of Unix (the current
release will not support external links!).

Thanks for any suggestions, keep up the great work!

P.S. Which drives/ROMS/WD/etc... do you have in your A2500?

johnv@tower.actrix.gen.nz (John Veldthuis) (03/23/91)

Quoted from <20023@cbmvax.commodore.com> by daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie):

> 	- Got your MASK, MaxTransfer, and Memory Type values set up for the
> 	  fastest transfers.

Can someone please explain how to use the MASK value. The documentation on
it is very scimpy.
I have an A2620 in my Amiga and I have lockup troubles when DMA'ing to 32
bit memory with my HardFrame Harddisk and want to set the MASK so that the
HardFrame only uses the 4 meg of Fast memory starting at $00600000 as
buffers
--
*** John Veldthuis, NZAmigaUG.         johnv@tower.actrix.gen.nz       ***

wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.064048.12805@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, William A Warner writes:

> Has anyone figured out yet why the 3000 flashes a yellow screen at you
> instead of automaticly rebooting after a crash?

I have encountered simular problems on two 3000.  They all were
related to the "extra" board with the expansion slots! So check
out this board, if it's installed properly. After un/plugging this
board everything works fine...
-----
Wolf Faust    UUCP:cbmvax.commodore.com!cbmehq!cbmger!venus!wfaust
Tel: (+49)69 5486556         FIDO: 2:243/43.5

In article <1991Mar22.064048.12805@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:

>Has anyone figured out yet why the 3000 flashes a yellow screen at you
>instead of automaticly rebooting after a crash?  This didn't start occuring
>until I added more RAM.  Dave, is this occuring on any of your "maxed-out"
>3000's????

No, I never ran into yellow flashes.  I used to get a nice, deep blue for a
sec on my A3000 prototypes when powering up, under 1.3 ROMs.  I haven't
noticed any color flashes so far under 2.0x and SuperKickStart.  Though I
haven't been using a system with 16MB in it much (when I set up a 52MB system,
it was with loaner DRAM).  There's always a chance, when you add more of
something, that the computer takes just a tad longer to figure out your total,
and lets you see something you wouldn't ordinarily see (and perhaps the OS
people themselves missed?).  The only normal reason for a yellow screen is a
processor exception that happens before alerts are possible, though I have
never run into a situation where that flashes for a second, it's generally the
equivalent of a GURU or System Error, it stays yellow.

>Art Warner

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

wendell@medsys.uucp (Wendell Dingus) (03/27/91)

This thread has been running for some time now, but I haven't been keeping
up with it very closely. Now though, I'm having a problem with a new hard
drive on my A3000. System is an A3000/16 with 6MB Ram, stock Quantum 50
Meg drive, and a new Quantum 105 Meg drive. Because of drive size, I moved
the (thinner) 50 megger over to the front (floppy) bay, and put the 100
meg in the back. The stock drive was jumpered as SCSI ID 6, and I put the
new drive as ID 5. Left all three partitions intact on the 50 Meg, and just
added two new partitions on the 100 Meg. Reselection is off on both drives
(Don't remember what the problem is here, but I remember reading to do
this).

Anyway, things work fine at first. After a cold boot though, "Volume
System2.0: has a read/write error" and it won't read in the Kickstart
image. Oh well, maybe I shook it around too much or some such... re
low-level formatted it, partitioned it, and installed system software.
Works fine for a day, things must be fixed. Next day, after being powered
off, "read/write error". This time I take Quarterback tools to it, and
am informed that WB_2.x: has 72 hard errors on it. Oh brother, I go
ahead and mark them as bad, and re-format. Works fine..... now it's the
next day.. read/write error again. What is the deal here?????

Here's how things are:

SCSI on MB               Quantum 105                Quantum 52
(appeared unterminated)  (unterminated)             (terminated)
(SCSI ID 7???)           (SCSI ID 5)                (SCSI ID 6)
                         (no bootable partitions)   (WB_2.x: boot part.)
    O-----SCSI-Cable--------------O------------------------O

PS. I took the stock cable out and used it in a Xenix system I needed
a SCSI cable for at work, and made a new one for this system. Put all
the connectors on a length of cable with a vise, and I'm fairly
confident all have solid connections.

Any ideas on how I can clean this up will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

-----
Wendell Dingus               UseNet: ...uunet!medsys!wendell

In article <8088@crash.cts.com> denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson) writes:
>Commodore has had this problem with 2 SCSI drives since the 2091 controller
>and the 590 on the A500. They have not owned up to the problem for a couple of
>years so don't expect them to face the music now. They just keep repeating the
>same old bunk about be sure to have reseltion turned off on both drives and
>that this is difficult to do so YOU must be doing something wrong and all your
>problems are therefore user caused. There have been so many problems reported
>about these controllers that the problems CANNOT be all user error. Good luck
>and if you find out any REAL info let the rest of us know.

	I think if you read my (and other C= peoples') posts you'll find that
you're exaggerating the situation.  I understand that you're frustrated by
the situation (suprise, so am I), but that's no reason to misrepresent our
statements.

	To repeat: most problems with the WD 'a' chip (-04/-08) are due
to a change in the WD part (the non-'a' chip is no longer available).  Most
of the problems resulting from this are fixed by turning off reselection; for
many users all the problems are solved this way.  Various users have reported
here that turning off reselection solved their problems or greatly reduced
them in intensity.  The remaining problems require a software revision (and
are most frequent in expanded systems that have interrupt drivers in the
device drivers for the other expansion boards, like serial boards).  You
should be hearing something about the software revision _really_ soon now
(I advise counting hours or days instead of weeks while waiting ;-).  (Not
an official statement, of course.)

	There is a separate issue, which the person you replied to was talking
about.  Certain drives, particularily Seagates (such as the ST 157N), are
notoriously slow at booting, at responding to selections while busy (they
push the spec to the very limit), etc.  These issues are addressed by a
jumper on the 2091, a dip switch on the 590, and a NVRAM bit in the clock
on the 3000.  This lengthens the timeout well beyond spec, and is often
referred to as the "seagate bit".  This is an (arguable) bug in the Seagate
SCSI implementation, but since Seagates are common we have to deal with
them.  If you're running a 3000, no program has been released by commodore
yet to play with the bit; as I sent in mail to the original poster some
time ago there is a PD utility for setting these bits.  For A590/A2901, see
your manual.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is in anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

In article <1991Mar19.192551.4397@starnet.uucp> sschaem@starnet.uucp (Stephan Schaem) writes:

> I plug CDC SCSI drive to my A3000, strait from a MAC.
> Both work fine, only setpu was plug the cable and click 2 or 3 time
> to creat partition...
> I get good benchmark with both, no boot up problems or any other
> kind of problems....

> I get the problem describe by other on my A2000, with a not full
> implemented system reset.(but nothing to do with CBM)

	Yes, often drives set up for macs (as many low-end scsi drives are)
have the reset pin disabled, or the cabling/wiring doesn't connect it (Macs
apparently don't deal with reset issues well).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is in anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

>In article <1991Mar22.064048.12805@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes...

>>One small thing that I have noticed is that different types of reboots affect
>>the 2nd HD problem.
>>Here are my current symptoms again:
>>  Cold boot-up:  No 2nd HD recognized.  Both HD's spinup no problem.
>>   1st warm rb:     2nd HD recognized.
>>   2nd  "   rb:  Not recognized
>>   3rd  "   rb:        "  "
>>   4th  "   rb:  Not   "  "
>>   etc .......etc.......etc   forever and forever.......AMEN.
>>
>>Now does this sound like a sporatic occurence to you?

	Hmmm.  Are you _certain_ that the reset line is connected to both
drives, and that both drives are set up to reset properly?  (have you
tested the reset connection with a VOM?)  It can be hard to tell, but does
the second drive appear to reset when you reboot?  Drives/cables designed/
modified for use with macs often ignore the reset signal.  I also advise
getting the NVRAM program to set the "seagate" bit.  (It's called BattMem,
or some such, and has been mentioned here before.  If you can't find it,
I might be persuaded to whip a rough one up, but I know it's been done
already.)

	Unfortunately, the drive's exact response to reset is hard to quantify
without a scsi test program or (far better/more likely to work) a SCSI
analyzer ($$).

In article <18e0ae8a.ARN1503@venus.UUCP> wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) writes:
>In article <1991Mar22.064048.12805@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, William A Warner writes:
>
>> Has anyone figured out yet why the 3000 flashes a yellow screen at you
>> instead of automaticly rebooting after a crash?
>
>I have encountered simular problems on two 3000.  They all were
>related to the "extra" board with the expansion slots! So check
>out this board, if it's installed properly. After un/plugging this
>board everything works fine...

	Hmmm, the prototypes and early ones used to fail to boot at all
(yellow screen) if the daughterboard wasn't plugged in (caught DaveH trying
to figure out why a 3000-type machine wouldn't boot just a week or two
ago - "hey dave, wouldn't this here daughterboard help?".  :-)  It's
always fun to kibitz at hardware when you're a software type... :-)  Just
shows that even hardware gods like Dave can forget things at times.

	Yellow screen does seem correlated with daughterboard issues.  I
don't know what it means myself (bryce would know).  Aren't the colors
part of the FAQ?

In article <4216.tnews@tower.actrix.gen.nz> johnv@tower.actrix.gen.nz (John Veldthuis) writes:
>Quoted from <20023@cbmvax.commodore.com> by daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie):
>>
>> 	- Got your MASK, MaxTransfer, and Memory Type values set up for the
>> 	  fastest transfers.
>
>Can someone please explain how to use the MASK value. The documentation on
>it is very scimpy.
>I have an A2620 in my Amiga and I have lockup troubles when DMA'ing to 32
>bit memory with my HardFrame Harddisk and want to set the MASK so that the
>HardFrame only uses the 4 meg of Fast memory starting at $00600000 as
>buffers

	There was some motherboard/2630 issue like this, perhaps it affects
2620's as well (dave?)  A pullup or some such if my vague recollection is
right.

	As for Mask, leave it to it's default.  For a A2000 system, it should
default to something like 0x00ffffff, or 0x00fffffe (depending on controller/
setup software).  For A3000's, either 0x7ffffffc or 0x7ffffffe are ok for
the built-in scsi (you can replace 7 with f as well, really doesn't matter).
The real tricks to scsi speed are:

	Enough buffers (I usually use 30-250, depending on what I use the
partition for).

	Correct mask (you'll find some difference between 0x7ffffffe and
0x7ffffffc, though which is faster depends on what you're doing with the
partition.)

	"good" setup of the drive params (HDToolbox makes a good guess, but
often a human with the drive manual can produce a better one.  Note that with
Zone-recorded drives like quantums, the optimum setup varies across the disk,
and the guess HDToolbox makes will be best at the start of the disk.  Disk
speed is usually fastest at the start of the drive on ZR drives, slowest on
the end.  My Swift ST1480N goes from 2MB/s on the first 100 meg to 1.5MB/s
by the last 100 meg (400Meg, 4400rpm, 3.5" drive)).

	fast ram: transfers to chip ram are slow, make sure the test program
didn't run out and start allocating chip (standard 2M A3000's will often run
out with diskspeed).

	Background stuff:  Turn off your commodities, screen blankers, mouse
toys, etc, etc.  Often cna make a big difference.

	SCRAM vs non-SCRAM:  Noticable difference (haven't checked it with
disks, but it makes a ~15% difference to CPU benchmarks).  May not be a major
factor.

	Fragmentation: obvious.  Less obvious is how full the drive is.  If
the test pushes it past the 50% mark (even if it's totally non-fragmented),
access will slow down, since it won' be contiguous any more.  May interact
with fragmentation.  The only way to get totally safe numbers is with a
freshly formatted partition (also means files/data will be near the root
block and bitmaps, speeding writes).

	Caches: obvious.  On 2620/30's, you want to use SetCPU to put stuff
in ram instead of ROM.  Not an issue on the 3000.

	Program: I recomment DiskSpeed, though it needs some improvements
(%CPU used, differing offsets of transfers, noticing failed writes, check
small-file read/write as well as large file with small buffers etc). DiskPerf,
diskperfa: just say no.

	I'm sure I'll think of more...

In article <20249@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <4216.tnews@tower.actrix.gen.nz> johnv@tower.actrix.gen.nz (John Veldthuis) writes:
>>Quoted from <20023@cbmvax.commodore.com> by daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie):

>>Can someone please explain how to use the MASK value. The documentation on
>>it is very scimpy.
>>I have an A2620 in my Amiga and I have lockup troubles when DMA'ing to 32
>>bit memory with my HardFrame Harddisk and want to set the MASK so that the
>>HardFrame only uses the 4 meg of Fast memory starting at $00600000 as
>>buffers

>	There was some motherboard/2630 issue like this, perhaps it affects
>2620's as well (dave?)  A pullup or some such if my vague recollection is
>right.

There are actually two potential problems.  An unknown number of A2000
motherboards prior to Revision 4.5 have a particular brand of buffer chip in
one location between local and expansion buses that causes a marginal condition
to exist for a short during DMA handoff.  Most 32 bit memory systems, being
faster, can see this condition as the start of a valid memory cycle.  This is
cured by adding a 1K resistor between pins 11 and 20 of U605 in the A2000, and
it's the way we fixed it in production.  It's OK to do regardless of whether or
not you have this particular manufacturer's part, so anyone with DMA troubles
involving 32 bit RAM on such motherboards should consider this update.

Early Hardframes also had a problem, essentially a marginal bit of timing on
their DMA handoff logic, nothing off enough to affect the slower 68000, but
trouble for any coprocessor board with fast onboard memory.  Microbotics has
a fix for this, if you have one of the older boards.

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (04/03/91)

In article <20248@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>In article <18e0ae8a.ARN1503@venus.UUCP> wfaust@venus.UUCP (Wolf Faust) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar22.064048.12805@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, William A Warner writes:
>>
>>> Has anyone figured out yet why the 3000 flashes a yellow screen at you
>>> instead of automaticly rebooting after a crash?
>>
>>I have encountered simular problems on two 3000.  They all were
>>related to the "extra" board with the expansion slots! So check
>>out this board, if it's installed properly. After un/plugging this
>>board everything works fine...
>
>	Hmmm, the prototypes and early ones used to fail to boot at all
>(yellow screen) if the daughterboard wasn't plugged in (caught DaveH trying
>to figure out why a 3000-type machine wouldn't boot just a week or two
>ago - "hey dave, wouldn't this here daughterboard help?".  :-)  It's
>always fun to kibitz at hardware when you're a software type... :-)  Just
>shows that even hardware gods like Dave can forget things at times.
>
>	Yellow screen does seem correlated with daughterboard issues.  I
>don't know what it means myself (bryce would know).  Aren't the colors
>part of the FAQ?

I checked the daughter board out and it was OK. In fact, I removed it just
to see what the symptom would be. Without the daughter board, the machine
would not even boot.  It would just give you those nasty yellow screen flashes.
But, this is not my symptoms.  My symptoms are a normal boot, normal work,
then if I make it GURU then instead of just rebooting after selecting reboot
by clicking left mouse button it does the yellow screen flashes and I have
to do a three finger reboot.

--

In article <20247@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar22.064048.12805@en.ecn.purdue.edu>, wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes...
>
>>>One small thing that I have noticed is that different types of reboots affect
>>>the 2nd HD problem.
>>>Here are my current symptoms again:
>>>  Cold boot-up:  No 2nd HD recognized.  Both HD's spinup no problem.
>>>   1st warm rb:     2nd HD recognized.
>>>   2nd  "   rb:  Not recognized
>>>   3rd  "   rb:        "  "
>>>   4th  "   rb:  Not   "  "
>>>   etc .......etc.......etc   forever and forever.......AMEN.
>>>
>>>Now does this sound like a sporatic occurence to you?
>
>	Hmmm.  Are you _certain_ that the reset line is connected to both
>drives, and that both drives are set up to reset properly?  (have you
>tested the reset connection with a VOM?)  It can be hard to tell, but does
>the second drive appear to reset when you reboot?  Drives/cables designed/
>modified for use with macs often ignore the reset signal.  I also advise
>getting the NVRAM program to set the "seagate" bit.  (It's called BattMem,
>or some such, and has been mentioned here before.  If you can't find it,
>I might be persuaded to whip a rough one up, but I know it's been done
>already.)

I have used the Battmem program to set the "Seagate bit" to 2 secs, but
this did not change the symptoms whatsoever. (other than add 4 secs to my
startup!)  I also changed the SCSI to synchronous.  I did this because I
was told that both of my HDs support this.  Was this the right thing to
do?  It did seem to speed up my drives though!
  I did find that changing the SCSI id# for the drives did make difference.
I still have not completely solved the problem yet, but I am able to cold-
boot the 3000 and have the 2nd HD recognized now.  The problem, every
other warm-reboot not recognizing the 2nd HD, still exists though.

--
Art Warner
wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu
Amiga makes it happen.......IBM, Mac, Sun, and Next make it expensive!

rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) (04/04/91)

  Thanks for the help, Mr. Jesup. A got my 1.3 partition up and running now.

  You just said your were getting 1.5 - 2.0 MEG/S transfer on your swift
drive. I've also got a swift, but only get 500 KB/S trnsfer at the fastest.
(I have the 124 MB drive though,  ST1124N.
  What settings should I use to get closer to your performance?

In article <1991Apr2.223300.19258@en.ecn.purdue.edu> wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) writes:
>I have used the Battmem program to set the "Seagate bit" to 2 secs, but
>this did not change the symptoms whatsoever. (other than add 4 secs to my
>startup!)  I also changed the SCSI to synchronous.  I did this because I
>was told that both of my HDs support this.  Was this the right thing to
>do?  It did seem to speed up my drives though!

	I don't think the synchronous bit is actually read by the driver right
now...  The driver does support it if the other side initiates, and I could
be wrong about the bit.

>  I did find that changing the SCSI id# for the drives did make difference.
>I still have not completely solved the problem yet, but I am able to cold-
>boot the 3000 and have the 2nd HD recognized now.  The problem, every
>other warm-reboot not recognizing the 2nd HD, still exists though.

	It sounds very strongly like some wierd reset-behavior on the drive's
part.  Putting the drive at a higher address (especially combined with the
longer timeout) gives the drive longer to come up to "normal".

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.

In article <1991Apr3.165303.27006@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) writes:

>  Thanks for the help, Mr. Jesup. A got my 1.3 partition up and running now.
>
>  You just said your were getting 1.5 - 2.0 MEG/S transfer on your swift
>drive. I've also got a swift, but only get 500 KB/S trnsfer at the fastest.
>(I have the 124 MB drive though,  ST1124N.
>  What settings should I use to get closer to your performance?

	I can easily believe the small drive would provide less performance.
I posted an article giving a whole series of things that can affect
measurement of disk speed.  I measured mine by just starting it, but I tend
to keep my drives set up in a high-performance manner, and I also have a
3000T with 8Mb scram fast memory.  Running out of fastmem while measuring
will KILL your numbers.  I got the fastest numbers by making sure the cylinder
size matched that of the drive for the first partition, by measuring only the
first "notch" of the drive, making sure all background things are stopped,
no excessive overscan, etc.  The same drive on a 2500/030 with 2091 gets
1.7M/s on his setup.  I regularily get 1.9 without playing around.

	I would expect a bit faster than you say (600-1M/s), and more if it's
a 4400 rpm drive like the 1480N (say 1-1.5M/s).  Looking at my manual, the
smallest drive in the same series as mine is ~330Meg, so I suspect yours isn't
one of the super-fast ones.

wwarner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (William A Warner) (04/05/91)

In article <20350@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
 I wrote:
>>  I did find that changing the SCSI id# for the drives did make difference.
>>I still have not completely solved the problem yet, but I am able to cold-
>>boot the 3000 and have the 2nd HD recognized now.  The problem, every
>>other warm-reboot not recognizing the 2nd HD, still exists though.
>
>	It sounds very strongly like some wierd reset-behavior on the drive's
>part.  Putting the drive at a higher address (especially combined with the
>longer timeout) gives the drive longer to come up to "normal".

Like I said before, changing the timeout to 2 secs only made the startup
time increase by 2 secs for each HD attached.  This did NOT change my
problematic symtoms AT ALL.  Now can you tell me what timing difference
there is between SCSI ID#s ?  How can I increase this time?  It is not
just a matter of increasing the timeout.  I think the increase in timeout
is only good for those drives that are a slow in spinning-up to speed,
like Seagates.