[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A500 HD general

pk1s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul A. Karlin) (04/04/91)

Hi... I hate to ask what I've seen pass by on this group so many times,
but I'm in the market for a hard drive for my A500 (old 1.2 ROMs, 1
ext.floppy, A501).  I know I need KickStart 1.3 to get autoboot
capability.  I'm basically looking for specs and experiences that anyone
would like to share with me.

I'm currently considering the following (in no particular order):
TrumpCard 500 (regular or Pro)
DataFlyer 500
SupraDrive 500XP
GVP Impact 500/Series II (whatever they call it now)
ICD's AdIDE

I'm almost definitely going to get a Quantum 40- or 52-MB drive with
whatever controller I buy.

For each controller, I'm interested in the following information:
* RAM expandability (amounts AND methods, e.g. Do I need to buy a
special board, or can I just plug SIMMs into on-board sockets?)

* Price (what's the best you've seen and where?  I'm on a somewhat tight
budget.  While I'm at it, what's the best price you've seen for Quantum
40/52 HD's and/or HD+controller packages?)

* Reliability (any praises/horror stories based on experiences?)

* Speed (I'm curious, but not as important as the rest--anything's MUCH
better than floppy speed)

I guess that's about it.  Please respond BY E-MAIL;  if there's enough
interest and if I get enough info, I can post a summary to .introduction
(as this seems to be a relatively common question)...

Thanks in advance,
--Paul Karlin

Replies to:  pk1s@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University -- Pittsburgh, PA -- Undergraduate Class of 1994

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/05/91)

In article <obybVOu00VIG8yDkMy@andrew.cmu.edu> pk1s+@andrew.cmu.edu (Paul A. Karlin) writes:
>ext.floppy, A501).  I know I need KickStart 1.3 to get autoboot

>TrumpCard 500 (regular or Pro)

  I hear that in order to get a real use out of the Trumpcard Pro you have
to buy a $3000 hard drive. Otherwise, the controller works in the A500 and
the A2000, so it is good if you plan to move up. It is very bulky next to
the A500. It has a power supply, and you can buy a 4 meg ram board for it
which also plugs into a 2000 expansion slot. Power supply available
separately.

>DataFlyer 500

  Probably one of the least expensive, but I have no more info on it.

>SupraDrive 500XP

  Nice slimline design, but it uses a little bit of space extended behind the
A500, which may or not be a problem. Probably the second fastest controller.
2 megs are added on board using DRAMS, but an adapter board can be used to
get up to 8 megs using a different type of ram chip (probably SIMM). Power
supply available separately. Disable ram with DIP switches. Factory
installed drives.

>GVP Impact 500/Series II (whatever they call it now)

  By far the fastest controller, in both reading and writing. Comes with
a power supply. 8 megs of ram expansion on board using SIMM modules. The
most aesthetic, exactly matching the A500 case. Disable ram with switch.
Factory installed drives. Mini pass thru slo for future GVP add on boards.

>ICD's AdIDE

  Smallest controller, and the cheapest. Yet, the IDE (not SCSI) drives
may be more expensive depending on which ty you prefer. Works with any
A2000, A1000, or A500. Plugs into the 68000 chip. Uses 40 pin IDE drives,
but you need to hook up the power some how (easy to do on an A2000). 40
pin IDE drives are usually cheaper than SCSI drives.
  For the A500, a 44 pin IDE controller is often used. It requires no
external power, and the drives are small enough to fit internally into
the A500 without removing the floppy drive or wrrying about a bad mounting.
The 44 pin drives are newer and harder to find, plus a little more expensive.
No ram expansion is provided. Since it is internal, you won't even notice
it is in the computer.

  Trump Card  about $160   power supply $80
  Trump Card Pro    $240   power supply $80
  Data Flyer        $140   ?
  Supra                    separately       $600 w/20 megs + 2 meg ram
  GVP                      included         $600 w/40-52 megs
  AdIDE 40          $115   in A2000
        IDE 40 pin drive     $230 - $350,  power supply needed for A500
  AdIDE 44          $130   not needed
        IDE 44 pin drive     $330 20 megs, $450 40 megs

  SCSI controllers can access about 8 drives. IDE can access 2 drives.

David

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr5.150818.19008@javelin.sim.es.com>,
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:

> I believe that the new GVP includes a power supply in the
> base price.

Correct.

Ralph

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/05/91)

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>>SupraDrive 500XP

> Power supply available separately.

To which I'd add, "available seperately, but absolutely required if you
want a reliable system". If you get the Supra, plan on the extra cost
of the power supply. I believe that the new GVP includes a power supply
in the base price.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne