[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Help on Setting up harddrive to run with AMIGA

tqhoang@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Toan Hoang) (04/05/91)

I thought all A2000 have one meg of CHIP ram in it.  The last I type avail
it said I have 512k of CHIP and 512k of fastmem.  Do I have to change something
to get one meg of CHIP ram?  And I also having hard time trying to set up my
hard drive to work.  When I bought the computer, the hard drive have already
been setup and workbench has been installed.  But, because it has some read
write error (probably due to shipping) I have to reformat.  I thought you
can just use the amiga FORMAT command and FORMAT drive DH0: .
But, after I finish formatting.  The request menu said the harddrive is not
A DOS DISK.  I load the workbench, and the Icon shows DH0:BOOTS as a name
of the harddrive.

How can I get the harddrive to work?  Any help would be appreciated.

Toan

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.152201.13407@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> Toan Hoang <tqhoang@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> writes:
>I thought all A2000 have one meg of CHIP ram in it.  The last I type avail
>it said I have 512k of CHIP and 512k of fastmem.  Do I have to change something
>to get one meg of CHIP ram?  And I also having hard time trying to set up my
>hard drive to work.  When I bought the computer, the hard drive have already
>been setup and workbench has been installed.  But, because it has some read
>write error (probably due to shipping) I have to reformat.  I thought you
>can just use the amiga FORMAT command and FORMAT drive DH0: .
>But, after I finish formatting.  The request menu said the harddrive is not
>A DOS DISK.  I load the workbench, and the Icon shows DH0:BOOTS as a name
>of the harddrive.
>
>How can I get the harddrive to work?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Toan

Not all A2000's.  My Rev 4.2 A2000 had only the Fat Agnus until I upgraded
it a year ago.  You need an ECS Agnus (verify you don't have one on your
motherboard already) and to change a jumper on the motherboard.

As for your hard disk, it sounds like you have an auto-booting HD with its
RigidDiskBlock filesystem set to FastFileSystem.  You need to reformat with:

		FORMAT drive DH0: name "NewName" FFS QUICK

Note the FFS keyword.  You didn't say if your drive was SCSI or not, or
what kind of controller you have, but I think a FastFileSystem SCSI partition
only requires a QUICK format (much, much faster than a full format.)

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.