[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Adding a external drive on A500

Gelson Dias Santos <GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu> (04/06/91)

I want to add an external drive in my A500 but commodore's drive coast US$ 200
in the nearest dealer (and it is on Paraguay! I live on Brazil...). Once my
internal drive is a Chinon FB354, I was wondering if I can buy a FZ354 (US$ 75)
and make a cable to connect it. Will that drive work ok?

         *****    # Gelson Dias Santos                #
   /\/\       **  # BITNET: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  #  Please, don't look my
  /    \-------\* # HOME: Av. Bento Goncalves 948/12  # grammar/spelling errors.
 ! 0  0 !    _  ! #       Porto Alegre - RS CEP:90620 # I am learning english !
 !  ^^  !   (   ! #       Brazil                      #
  \_()_/  _(    ) #=============================================================
 (__(____(_____)  #     Alguem ai fala portugues?     #

s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Luke Mewburn) (04/06/91)

GELSON%SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR@uicvm.uic.edu (Gelson Dias Santos) writes:

>I want to add an external drive in my A500 but commodore's drive coast US$ 200
>in the nearest dealer (and it is on Paraguay! I live on Brazil...). Once my
>internal drive is a Chinon FB354, I was wondering if I can buy a FZ354 (US$ 75)
>and make a cable to connect it. Will that drive work ok?

Virtually *ANY* IBuM 720K-type drives should work, but you need to note
the following:
- Unlike IBuM's which need a separate power line into the drive, the power
is supplied out the back on some of the external drive connection lines.
Just wire up the cable like normal, and separate the 4 power lines at the
drive end, crimp these to another connecter, & try it out.
(The amiga end of the cable can be found in the back of the ring-boung
manual, and the drive end of things can usually be obtained from a doc
sheet.
I have a list of the pin-outs for a standard drive connection (36 pin IDC plug)
at home, so email if you need them.

>         *****    # Gelson Dias Santos                #
>   /\/\       **  # BITNET: GELSON@SBU.UFRGS.ANRS.BR  #  Please, don't look my
>  /    \-------\* # HOME: Av. Bento Goncalves 948/12  # grammar/spelling errors.
> ! 0  0 !    _  ! #       Porto Alegre - RS CEP:90620 # I am learning english !
> !  ^^  !   (   ! #       Brazil                      #
> (__(____(_____)  #     Alguem ai fala portugues?     #

| Luke Mewburn   (Zak)                |     This side for rent...      |
| s902113@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au        |                                |