[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP HC+RAM Series II - Booting

jakester@dorsai.com (Jake Richter) (04/03/91)

Hi all, I'm VERY new to this so please be patient....

I have a question which I'm sorta Idly curious about... it doesnt cause me
any trouble, but it seems kinda strange... maybe someone can help...

I recently upgraded my Amiga 2000 (quite old... bought in April of 1988)
from a 2090 and Miniscribe 20Meg to a GVP Series II HC+RAM (card only) and a
Quantum 52Meg Slimline.  Now... the only experience I have with SCSI is with
my new PC-Clone at work.  When booting it up, the machine goes through a
"SCSI Initialization" which takes approx 30 seconds.  However, if I
warm-boot the machine, this initialization does not occur.

Ok.  Back to my Amiga.  Upon powerup, the disk drive light flashes at low
intensity for about 45 seconds, then finally starts acting like its reading
from the drive and goes thru the boot sequence.  No problem, I assume,
that's just the Initialization (could someone confirm this?).  But....
everytime I boot - cold, warm, whatever - the machine goes thru this
sequence.  Is this right?  In actuality, I'm not saving any time during my
boot sequence, even though the startup-sequence is running faster because
its on a HD instead of a floppy...

Again, no big deal... its easy to live with..... but is it CORRECT???

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Jake

//
?

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (04/04/91)

In article <w3FuZ1w163w@dorsai.com>, jakester@dorsai.com
(Jake Richter) writes:

> Upon powerup, the disk drive light flashes at low
> intensity for about 45 seconds, then finally starts acting
> like its reading from the drive and goes thru the boot
> sequence. No problem, I assume, that's just the
> Initialization (could someone confirm this?).

With a Quantum harddisk, this is way too long. Apparently,
you have an old driver ROM that expects SCSI ID 0 to be
present all the time. To speed things up, either remove
jumpers A0, A1, and A2 from your Quantum drive and select
"Last Disk" in FaaastPrep, or upgrade to V3.8 or later.

Ralph

krauss@mansw1.enet.dec.com (Michael Krauss) (04/05/91)

In article <w3FuZ1w163w@dorsai.com>, jakester@dorsai.com (Jake Richter) writes:

>Ok.  Back to my Amiga.  Upon powerup, the disk drive light flashes at low
>intensity for about 45 seconds, then finally starts acting like its reading
>from the drive and goes thru the boot sequence.  No problem, I assume,
>that's just the Initialization (could someone confirm this?).  But....
>everytime I boot - cold, warm, whatever - the machine goes thru this
>sequence.  Is this right?  In actuality, I'm not saving any time during my
>boot sequence, even though the startup-sequence is running faster because
>its on a HD instead of a floppy...

firs make shure, that your harddisk is set to SCSI-id 0.
then try the 'Faaast Prep' program you got on your GVP install disk.
use 'manual instalation' with the SCSI option (i don't remember the exact
usage). at the right boarder there are three ? little buttons saying 'last
lun' and 'last unit'(?). select them so that they get marked. select the
'save' button and exit the program.
this should fix your problem.

REMEMBER: BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE PERFORMIG ANY CHANGES YOUR SETUP !

i recalled this from memory 'cause i sold my 2000 system some month ago,
(a3000 is really a nice machine) so don't blame me for any mistakes.
the faaast prep program is very easy to use, so you should be able to make
the changes.

>Again, no big deal... its easy to live with..... but is it CORRECT???
>
>Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
>Jake
>
>//
>?

Michael Krauss			#include <std_disclaimer.h>
DEC Mannheim, Germany		"AMIGA or VAX, nothing else please !"
"krauss@mansw1.enet.dec.com" or "...!decwrl!mansw1.enet!krauss"

keith@actrix.gen.nz (Keith Stewart) (04/07/91)

writes:
> Hi all, I'm VERY new to this so please be patient....
>
> I have a question which I'm sorta Idly curious about... it doesnt
cause me
> any trouble, but it seems kinda strange... maybe someone can help...
>
> I recently upgraded my Amiga 2000 (quite old... bought in April of
1988)
> from a 2090 and Miniscribe 20Meg to a GVP Series II HC+RAM (card only)
and a
> Quantum 52Meg Slimline.  Now... the only experience I have with SCSI
is with
> my new PC-Clone at work.  When booting it up, the machine goes through
> "SCSI Initialization" which takes approx 30 seconds.  However, if I
> warm-boot the machine, this initialization does not occur.
>
> Ok.  Back to my Amiga.  Upon powerup, the disk drive light flashes at
low
> intensity for about 45 seconds, then finally starts acting like its
reading
> from the drive and goes thru the boot sequence.  No problem, I assume,

> that's just the Initialization (could someone confirm this?).  But....

> everytime I boot - cold, warm, whatever - the machine goes thru this
> sequence.  Is this right?  In actuality, I'm not saving any time
during my
> boot sequence, even though the startup-sequence is running faster
because
> its on a HD instead of a floppy...
>
> Again, no big deal... its easy to live with..... but is it CORRECT???
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>
> Jake
>
> //
> ?

I have a GVP Series II with 40 meg Quantum as well.
In the instruction book it says if you donot have the maximum number of
seven SCSI devices connected then you can set the "LAst LUN" flags of
the RDB. With the Fastprep programme that came with the GVP when the ID
is 0 set the Last LUN gadget so it shows a tick. This is in the manual
installation programme part of FASTPREP.
Its a good and fast controller I am pleased with it.