[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] DCTV + CDTV = A SMASH HIT!

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (04/05/91)

	I have a proposal for Commodore and it's CDTV....

	Commodore, give Digital Creations a call, and see what they think
	about incorporating the DCTV decoder hardware/software into
	the CDTV.

	As CDTV is pointed primarily as a NTSC device, DCTV would be right
	at home in the CDTV, and would give it an AMAZING jump on the
	competetion...  HAM is ok.  but 16 million NTSC colors is FANTASTIC!

	And the way DCTV works, .anim files could be made to playback
	in all 16M colors... full or partial screen... at a reasonable rate.

	After all, DCTV frames are really nothing more than Hi-res/interlace
	16 color IFF images as far as the Amiga hardware is concerned.  DCTV
	would perform all the rest of the magic....

	Other views on this???

	-Mike-

xgr39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU (Marc Barrett) (04/07/91)

In article <10000026@hpmwmat.HP.COM>, mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:

>	I have a proposal for Commodore and it's CDTV....
>
>	Commodore, give Digital Creations a call, and see what they think
>	about incorporating the DCTV decoder hardware/software into
>	the CDTV.
>
>	As CDTV is pointed primarily as a NTSC device, DCTV would be right
>	at home in the CDTV, and would give it an AMAZING jump on the
>	competetion...  HAM is ok.  but 16 million NTSC colors is FANTASTIC!
>
>	And the way DCTV works, .anim files could be made to playback
>	in all 16M colors... full or partial screen... at a reasonable rate.
>
>	After all, DCTV frames are really nothing more than Hi-res/interlace
>	16 color IFF images as far as the Amiga hardware is concerned.  DCTV
>	would perform all the rest of the magic....
>
>	Other views on this???
>
>	-Mike-

   I think the DCTV is a tad bit too expensive to incorporate into the
CDTV and still keep the price of the CDTV under $1000.  A better solution
might be to use the HAM-E instead.

   BTW, doesn't the CDTV have an A2000-style video slot (intended mainly
for use with genlocks)?  If so, Black Belt could redesign the HAM-E to
fit into the CDTV's video slot, and sell it for that purpose, with a
CD-ROM of software to use with it.  Fitting the HAM-E for the video slot
instead of the RGB port might actually make the HAM-E less expensive,
because the circuitry to decode the analog RGB output back into digital
form would no longer be needed.

                              -MB-
 / Marc Barrett       | BITNET:   XGR39@ISUVAX.BITNET      /
/  ISU COM S Student  | Internet: XGR39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU /

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/07/91)

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:

> As CDTV is pointed primarily as a NTSC device, DCTV would be right
> at home in the CDTV, and would give it an AMAZING jump on the
> competetion...  HAM is ok.  but 16 million NTSC colors is FANTASTIC!

A good idea, but I'm afraid that it would hardly "give it an amazing jump"
on CD-I, which is CDTV's competition.  In fact, not even close.

CD-I has two main image planes, each with a full video chip and 512K RAM.
Either one _alone_ has modes superior to Amiga gfx... but they can also
be swapped in priority, each can be of almost any mode (see below), and
the planes can be color-keyed, dissolved, or overlaid, all in hardware.
Of course, modes can be changed on a line/line basis, just as in the Amiga.

The main modes have 4/7/8 bits/pixel from a choice of 4 or 16 million colors.
In other words, 256-colors in a 360x480 screen mode, with a 3/7-bit screen
also available for overlays.

There are also 3/7 bit color RLE modes: the data consists of color RLE
lines (perfect for cartoons), which the chip decodes/displays _on the fly_
instead of having to have the cpu unpack the data in memory first.

Then there is the Delta-YUV (DYUV) mode, which is superior to HAM
[ I've been told the Amiga was originally supposed to have DYUV ] because
it allows luminance changes on a per-pixel basis while the color changes
slower.  As the eye is more sensitive to luminance, the pic looks better.

Finally, both planes may be combined to form a 15-bits/pixel direct RGB mode.

Each plane can also be fitted with its own blitter.  CPU->video RAM accesses
are always interleaved half and half... meaning gfx updates are faster than
the equivalent Amiga modes.  The cpu is also around 50% faster than CDTV's.

To be blunt, CD-I gfx is what the basic Amiga gfx should've been by now.
Perhaps CBM should use CD-I chips.  best - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

In article <1991Apr7.003336.3219@ncsu.edu> kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
>mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) writes:
>
>> As CDTV is pointed primarily as a NTSC device, DCTV would be right
>> at home in the CDTV, and would give it an AMAZING jump on the
>> competetion...  HAM is ok.  but 16 million NTSC colors is FANTASTIC!
>
>A good idea, but I'm afraid that it would hardly "give it an amazing jump"
>on CD-I, which is CDTV's competition.  In fact, not even close.

>To be blunt, CD-I gfx is what the basic Amiga gfx should've been by now.
>Perhaps CBM should use CD-I chips.  best - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

	Kevin, you should take a look at the CDTV before being so
judgemental. Yes, the graphics modes are better. But Gail
Wellington made a good point: Who's going to buy a home machine
that can't play games? Where the blitter? The advantage that CDTV
has is that it is an Amiga. It has the whole library of Amiga
software if you add a diskdrive. There were 7 different titles
being sold at the show, a list of 50 titles which will be
shipping by the end of June, and 150 titles promised to
Commodore.
	The applications were excellent. There was the World
Atlas, which had a full digitized atlas you could scroll around
in. It had digitized voices and music from different countries.
It had digitized pictures from all around the world as well.
Those 600MB were well used. The best thing was how easy it was to
use. There was no keyboard, just the IR control, and it was still
easy. It is basically just very well thought out.
	I've also seen the American Heritage Dictionary, which
was very well laid out, easy to use, had digitized pictures and a
hypertext style to it (every word in a definition could be jumped
to).
	Basically, it is shipping. There are titles. It is
selling for about $800. Commodore has excellent distribution for
it.
	To make it even better, without any additional hardware
they were doing 1/4 screen (1/2 x 1/2) animation in HAM in 12fps.
saying "1/4 screen", you have to realize that most applications
will be supplementing their normal program with the animation,
and for those 1/4 screen is fine. And of course if you slow down
the frame rate you can get larger area. And we all know what can
be done in a 512K Amiga 500 with animation and these come
standard with 1MB.
	The big-names are developing for it, including Grolier's,
Sieera On-Line and Psygnosis.  I really don't see how CD-I can
possibly succeed. The Amiga operating system has had 4-5 years of
thorough in-use testing and there are already lots of programmers
familiar with programming it. CD-I isn't shipping. It seems like
it keeps getting new and new screen resolutions and nothing
ships. Also, Commodore can cut prices a lot better than the CD-I
people can, the CDTV is made of already mass-produced contents.
	CD-I was delayed too long. I'd recommend you look at CDTV
and its applications before condemning them.
	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (04/08/91)

In <1991Apr7.023811.5758@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

> Kevin, you should take a look at the CDTV before being so judgemental.

Hi Ethan.  Umm. It doesn't sound like you read the articles at all.  This
thread was about making CDTV gfx amazingly better than the capabilities
of its competition.  Obviously you can't start on that road until you know
what the competition has.  So I posted specs.  Here, I'll summarize again:

A 68xxx (base cpu is 15Mhz 68070) computer with _dual_ video subsystems,
each of which has a copper and blitter, DYUV/3/4/7/8/15-bit gfx out of
at least 4 million colors; plus hardware special effects between the two.

You honestly wouldn't wish features like those for the Amiga?  If not,
then I guess you have no need for DCTV or Colorburst or HAM or Firecracker
or any kind of basic gfx upgrade ;-).  But seriously...

The rest of your message I might respond to in .advocacy, since most was
non-hardware/technical in nature.  thanks - kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.185336.26417@news.iastate.edu> xgr39@CCVAX.IASTATE.EDU writes:

>   BTW, doesn't the CDTV have an A2000-style video slot (intended mainly
>for use with genlocks)?  If so, Black Belt could redesign the HAM-E to
>fit into the CDTV's video slot, and sell it for that purpose, with a
>CD-ROM of software to use with it.  Fitting the HAM-E for the video slot
>instead of the RGB port might actually make the HAM-E less expensive,
>because the circuitry to decode the analog RGB output back into digital
>form would no longer be needed.

>                              -MB-

   The HAM-E device is BIG people -- Prolly a 7" x 7"box. Unless they
did VLSI or Suface Mount I don't think it could get much smaller. The
CDTV video slot is connected to a pullout board that has RF, Comp
output on it. So one could build a Genlock, Toaster :-) whatever to
plug in.

--
 adam hill --  hill@evax.uta.edu        ASOCC - University of Texas at UTA
     I programmed for three days          Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!