[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] sysinfo crashes my System with 50Mhz GVP board.

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar25.160246.19670@cbnewse.att.com>,
hjanssen@cbnewse.att.com (hank janssen) writes:

> I tried to run the sysinfo command to see what i thinks my
> system consists off. And the result is always a visit to
> the guru.

I can't say anything about this particular version of
sysinfo, but most sysinfo programs I know of do very bad
things when trying to determine the speed of the processor,
for example. You can't really blame them, it's not an easy
thing to do on a machine like the Amiga.

Maybe try GvpInfo. It is available for downloading on GVP's
BBS and should also be on their latest installation disk.

> I called up GVP technical support and they advised me to
> take out the bootrom for an AT drive on the accelerator
> board.

Put the ROM back in (hopefully it's V3.0 or later) and make
sure J18 is shorted.

> (It seems unlikely that the sysinfo tool can not handle a
> 50 Mhz board.)

Well ...

Ralph

hjanssen@cbnewse.att.com (hank janssen) (03/26/91)

I recently installed an GVP accelerator board (50 Mhz version) into
my Amiga. I tried to run the sysinfo command to see what i thinks my
system consists off. And the result is always a visit to the guru.
I see that it fills in as a processor type an 68030 processor but when
it  should fill in my 68882 it chokes.

When i got the board it seemed that all the straps and jumpers where set
for an AT drive. I let them be because i have an SCSI GVP controller
with Hard disk. I called up GVP technical support and they advised me
to take out the bootrom for an AT drive on the accelerator board.
And i didn't need to do anything to the jumpers. ANd after that i
could try to run the sysinfo program again. But again no luck it
still chokes on me and chrashes the system.
When i remove the board and run the program all is fine and my system
does not chrash on me at all.

I don't think the sysinfo information that the program gives is that
importent but it makes me wonder why it chrashes the system.
Since i hope that it isn't the board that is at fault.

My system configuration s as follows:

	Amiga B2000.   (PAL version)
	A2320 Display enhancer.
	NEC 3D Monitor.
	4 Mb 32 Bits ram.
	3 Mb 16 Bits ram.
	GVP 50 Mhz Accelerator.
	GVP Impact HD controller, 40 Mb Quantum Harddisk.

My question is, has anybody ever seen the same problem, or does
anybody what is causing this problem.  (It seems unlikely that the
sysinfo tool can not handle a 50 Mhz board.)

Most other programs i tried run fine, except ofcourse the GNU-EMACS
but that one crashed even in my old configuration. :-)

Any help is apreciated....

Hank Janssen
att!ihlpb!hjanssen

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) (04/08/91)

In article <helmutn.671114107@cip-s01>,
helmutn@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Helmut Neumann) writes:

> can you describe a little more precise what the difference
> between V2.3 and V3.X is ?

V3.x supports GVP's new 50-MHz '030 and the new RAM32 memory
expansion. The driver now recognizes a drive's proper vendor
name, and it also supports the new 2.0 TD_GETGEOMETRY call,
which is required by GVP's A-Max AT driver. Some minor
changes have been made to the automounting code, but there
are _no_functional_differences_ between V2.3 and V3.x in the
AT driver's I/O section itself!

> But sometimes, espacially when running Kick 2.0 at Adress
> 200000 with zkick, i get read/write Errors, sometimes i
> even can not do retry, they are stable (in this IO). Next
> time i use the Problem-File everything is ok again. When i
> start Kick 2.0 with setcpu at f00000 there are NO
> read/write errors (and the system is MUCH faster).

Might be a problem related to an old developer's version of
Kickstart 2.0, but it might also be timing-related: Maybe
the AT drive you are using is not really mode-2 (or faster),
as required by GVP's AT interface.

> An other interesting thing is, that Write-Performance on
> my 210-MB Rodime is only 2/3 of the speed of my 110 MB
> Rodime, why ? [...] with 4096 KB-Writes the 110 MB goes to
> 180 KB/s and the 210 MB just reaches 100 KB/s.

Might be disk fragmentation, might be the drive's firmware,
or maybe it's different density zones.

> However, the read-speeds are excellent on both HDs,
> expacially the 210 MB goes over 850 KB/s for Reads greater
> than 4096 Bytes. So why is Write-Access so slow ?

Theoretically, the driver can _write_ data as fast as it can
_read_ data, but most drives are faster during reads.

> Have you changed something in the ROM V3.X that may solve
> this curiosity ?

It's certainly not driver-related.

> Please give me a PM where i can get the new ROMs, DTM told
> me that they are not out now.

V3.x has been shipping since last year. Ask GVP about
upgrades.

Ralph

helmutn@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Helmut Neumann) (04/08/91)

rbabel@babylon.rmt.sub.org (Ralph Babel) writes:

>Put the ROM back in (hopefully it's V3.0 or later) and make
>sure J18 is shorted.

>Ralph

Hello,
can you describe a little more precise what the difference between
V2.3 and V3.X is ? I bought V2.3 ROM for 100 Deutschmarks. Everything
works NEARLY Perfect. But sometimes, espacially when running Kick 2.0
at Adress 200000 with zkick, i get read/write Errors, sometimes i even
can not do retry, they are stable (in this IO). Next time i use the Problem-
File everything is ok again. When i start Kick 2.0 with setcpu at f00000 there
are NO read/write errors (and the system is MUCH faster). An other interesting
thing is, that Write-Performance on my 210-MB Rodime is only 2/3 of the speed
of my 110 MB Rodime, why ? With 512 Byte-Writes i get the standard 30 KB/s on
both HDs, with 4096 KB-Writes the 110 MB goes to 180 KB/s and the 210 MB just
reaches 100 KB/s. I think this value is a little low, even my old 1096 Seagate
with 2090 was faster at this point. However, the read-speeds are excellent on
both HDs, expacially the 210 MB goes over 850 KB/s for Reads greater than
4096 Bytes. So why is Write-Access so slow ? Have you changed something in
the ROM V3.X that may solve this curiosity ? Please give me a PM where i can
get the new ROMs, DTM told me that they are not out now.

Bye, Helmut.