[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Tape Drives, Parnet & CIA's

etac@levels.sait.edu.au (04/01/91)

        I have a 3000UX with an A3070 tape drive. could someone
tell me how make use of my tape drive under AmigaDos.  Is it
simply a matter of putting an entry in the mount list?  if so,
what should I put in it.

        My flat mate also has an A1000 and we're trying to run
Parnet to network the two machine.  We've made two cables
one about 10 inches the other about 15 metres. The short one
works fine but the long one just won't go. I've checked the
cable a thousand times. I can't see whats wrong.

        I've also got an old Epson MX100 III printer and I've
found that my parallel port is not capable of driving the
centronics port on the printer.

        Is this all due to just the poor drive of the 8520 CIA
chips or what?

Could someone please suggest what the problem is.

thanks

Andrew Chalmers.

Digital Communication Group D.C.G.
University of South Australia

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (04/04/91)

In article <16081.27f751e7@levels.sait.edu.au> etac@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>        My flat mate also has an A1000 and we're trying to run
>Parnet to network the two machine.  We've made two cables
>one about 10 inches the other about 15 metres. The short one
>works fine but the long one just won't go. I've checked the
>cable a thousand times. I can't see whats wrong.

	10 inches VS 15 metres (approx 1 yard X 15 = 45 feet). Try attenuation.

>        Is this all due to just the poor drive of the 8520 CIA
>chips or what?

	I wouldn't go as far to say poor drive. Overdrive - yes.

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/04/91)

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>In article <16081.27f751e7@levels.sait.edu.au> etac@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>>        My flat mate also has an A1000 and we're trying to run
>>Parnet to network the two machine.  We've made two cables
>>one about 10 inches the other about 15 metres. The short one
>>works fine but the long one just won't go. I've checked the
>>cable a thousand times. I can't see whats wrong.

>	10 inches VS 15 metres (approx 1 yard X 15 = 45 feet). Try attenuation.

It could be a problem, especially with small gauge wire, but I've
successfully run Parnet between an A2500 and A1000 with a cable about 50
feet long. The wire used was one of those bundles of solid wire used by
the phone company. Do you have ALL the grounds connected end to end?
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne

jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr4.144908.9660@javelin.sim.es.com> blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com writes:
>jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>>In article <16081.27f751e7@levels.sait.edu.au> etac@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>>>        My flat mate also has an A1000 and we're trying to run
>>>Parnet to network the two machine.  We've made two cables
>>>one about 10 inches the other about 15 metres. The short one
>>>works fine but the long one just won't go. I've checked the
>>>cable a thousand times. I can't see whats wrong.
>
>>	10 inches VS 15 metres (approx 1 yard X 15 = 45 feet). Try attenuation.
>
>It could be a problem, especially with small gauge wire, but I've
>successfully run Parnet between an A2500 and A1000 with a cable about 50
>feet long. The wire used was one of those bundles of solid wire used by
>the phone company. Do you have ALL the grounds connected end to end?
>--
>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
>blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com     or    ...dsd.es.com!javelin!blgardne
>DoD #0046   My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.         BIX: blaine_g
>                        28 miles to go....

	Use shielded cable and make sure you tie the sheild to earth ground.

			-jeff

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (04/05/91)

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>jdickson@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>>In article <16081.27f751e7@levels.sait.edu.au> etac@levels.sait.edu.au writes:

>>>Parnet to network the two machine.  We've made two cables
>>>one about 10 inches the other about 15 metres. The short one
>>>works fine but the long one just won't go. I've checked the

>It could be a problem, especially with small gauge wire, but I've
>successfully run Parnet between an A2500 and A1000 with a cable about 50
>feet long. The wire used was one of those bundles of solid wire used by

The last ParNet cable I made was 35 - 40 feet long.  Due to convenience
(and laziness) I used unshielded ribbon cable (horrors).  Anyway, it works
fine and is used daily.  It has been both stretched to length, and now is
mostly rolled up between two machine close together.

Has anyone heard *ANYTHING* recently about NET: from John Toebes/SAS?  It's
been several months since I heard any news.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/05/91)

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:

>Has anyone heard *ANYTHING* recently about NET: from John Toebes/SAS?  It's
>been several months since I heard any news.

The last I heard was it's on the back burner while other, more urgent,
projects are worked on.
--

mascot@bnr.ca (Scott Mason) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr3.193247.13318@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> jdickson@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>In article <16081.27f751e7@levels.sait.edu.au> etac@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>>
>>        My flat mate also has an A1000 and we're trying to run
>>Parnet to network the two machine.  We've made two cables
>>one about 10 inches the other about 15 metres. The short one
>>works fine but the long one just won't go. I've checked the
>>cable a thousand times. I can't see whats wrong.
>
>	10 inches VS 15 metres (approx 1 yard X 15 = 45 feet). Try attenuation.

I would recommend a visit to your local electronics supply or hi-end audio
store. Select the cable with the lowest capacitance per metre (that you can
afford). Each time the output switches, the driver must charge the cable
to the new logic state. The capacitance of the cable will have a direct
affect on this switching time. If you have routed near other electrical
appliances, such as power supplies or monitors, the cable may be picking
up considerable noise. A shielded cable will help eliminate these types
of problems. The shield should be grounded at one end *only*, and left
unconnected at the other end. This prevents currents from flowing in the
shield. If you can control the data rate, a lower data rate should be able
to communicate over a longer distance.

>>        Is this all due to just the poor drive of the 8520 CIA
>>chips or what?

15 metres is asking a lot.

>>Andrew Chalmers.
>>
>>Digital Communication Group D.C.G.

You're kidding, right :)

>>University of South Australia

--

Scott_Busse@mindlink.UUCP (Scott Busse) (04/08/91)

Can someone tell me what Parnet is? I've heard a few mentions of it now, but
never seen it anywhere...
* Scott Busse email:           O    O   O_     _      ___ .....
* CIS 73040,2114              |||  /|\  /\   O/\_     /         O    )=|
* a763@mindlink.UUCP           l   | |   |\    / \   /\                _\
* uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Scott_Busse     Live Long and Animate... \

etac@levels.sait.edu.au (04/09/91)

In article <4290@bnr-rsc.UUCP>, mascot@bnr.ca (Scott Mason) writes:
> In article <1991Apr3.193247.13318@jato.jpl.nasa.gov> jdickson@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Jeff Dickson) writes:
>>In article <16081.27f751e7@levels.sait.edu.au> etac@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>>>
>>>        My flat mate also has an A1000 and we're trying to run
>>>Parnet to network the two machine.  We've made two cables
>>>one about 10 inches the other about 15 metres. The short one
>>>works fine but the long one just won't go. I've checked the
>>>cable a thousand times. I can't see whats wrong.
>>
>>      10 inches VS 15 metres (approx 1 yard X 15 = 45 feet). Try attenuation.
>>

> I would recommend a visit to your local electronics supply or hi-end audio
> store. Select the cable with the lowest capacitance per metre (that you can
> afford). Each time the output switches, the driver must charge the cable
> to the new logic state. The capacitance of the cable will have a direct
> affect on this switching time. If you have routed near other electrical
> appliances, such as power supplies or monitors, the cable may be picking
> up considerable noise. A shielded cable will help eliminate these types
> of problems. The shield should be grounded at one end *only*, and left
> unconnected at the other end. This prevents currents from flowing in the
> shield. If you can control the data rate, a lower data rate should be able
> to communicate over a longer distance.
>
>>>        Is this all due to just the poor drive of the 8520 CIA
>>>chips or what?
>>

> 15 metres is asking a lot.

Thanks guys for your comments.  Sounds to me like there are two basic
problems.
         1)  The 8520 have bugger all drive, and were probably neverl
               designed to drive cables directly. (buffering was obviously
               assumed to be used).
             15 metres is not really a lot. That should be a piece of
               cake for the serial port.  (I have tried it,it works
               fine, and I know the port is buffered.)

         2)  PARNET's error checking is obviously not good enough to
               let you know the connection is not there or is
               unreliable. (This is not a flame, just an observation)

>>>Andrew Chalmers.
>>>
>>>Digital Communication Group D.C.G.
>
> You're kidding, right :)

                I jest you not!