[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] New GVP All-in-one Accelerator

Gary_Coleman@mindlink.UUCP (Gary Coleman) (03/30/91)

re: New GVP accelerator/Series II card...
I would like to know if the HD controllor still works in 68000 mode.  I would
be happy for HD support, but the memory would be great!
/Gary Coleman...My job gets harder every day! G.Coleman Concrete

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (03/31/91)

Has anyone seen the advert for the newest GVP accelerators?  They
incorporate on one card in the CPU slot:

	- a "Series II" SCSI controller (32 bit DMA, since its on the
	  030 card)

	- a 22 or 33 Mhz processor w /68882

	- space for 16MB (which is quoted as requiring "custom" GVP
	  4 meg SIMMs. )

	- Software selectable 68000 mode.

Sounds really nice, but no price is given.  Plus the bit about the
custom SIMMs makes me a little leary.  Doesn't anyone have any other
info?

--
uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
		       |  			   |	(201)334-8450

csd006@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (04/01/91)

From article <1991Mar30.165751.26157@dialogic.com>, by gerry@dialogic.com
(Gerry Lachac):

> Has anyone seen the advert for the newest GVP accelerators?  They
> incorporate on one card in the CPU slot:

Where was the ad?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Matt Griffith

mgrifith@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
csd006@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

gerry@dialogic.com (Gerry Lachac) (04/02/91)

In article <5157@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> csd006@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu writes:
>From article <1991Mar30.165751.26157@dialogic.com>, by gerry@dialogic.com
>(Gerry Lachac):
>>
>> Has anyone seen the advert for the newest GVP accelerators?  They
>> incorporate on one card in the CPU slot:

>Where was the ad?  Enquiring minds want to know.

Whoops.  I should have mentioned that the ad was in the latest Amiga
World, the one with Todd Rudgren on the cover and the Amiga 3000T
article.

--
uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |  when the wind blows."	   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054
		       |  			   |	(201)334-8450

patyoung@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com (Patrick Young) (04/04/91)

I believe the ad mentioned is in the May 1991 issue of AMIGA WORLD
on page 2.  The ad looks something like this:

The Ultimate All-in-One Amiga 2000 Add-on
6830 POWER+16MB RAM+SCSI CONTROLLER
  Replaces up to FOUR "normal" expansion boards!

Now, a 22 or 33 Mhz 68030 accelerator board, up to
16MB of 32-bit wide RAM and a high-performance SCSI
hard disk controller in a single A2000 "CPU slot"
expansion board!

Check out these features:
*  The perfect companion for NewTek's Video Toaster.

*  Up to 16MB of 32-bit wide memory expansion.  4MB
   minimum factory installed memory on 33Mhz version,
   1MB minimum for 22Mhz.

*  GVP's new custom 32-bit wide, 1MB or 4MB, SIMM32
   memory modules offer flexible, easy-to-install
   memory expansion.  22Mhz model has 1MB facotry installed
   memory expandable to 13MB.  33Mhz model has 4MB factory
   installed memory, expandable to 16MB.

*  On-board high-performance "Series II" auto-booting SCSI
   controller with factory installed FAAASTROM SCSI driver
   and SCSI connectors for attaching both external and
   internal SCSI peripherals.

*  Direct DMA access to the full 16MB range of 32-bit wide
   memory expansion by the on-board SCSI controller.  Due to
   the A2000 bus architecture, this is ONLY possible when
   SCSI control is placed directly on the 68030 CPU bus (as
   is the case with the A3000!).  Provides ultimate SCSI
   harddisk performance!

*  GVP's legendary FAAASTROM SCSI driver supports virtually
   all SCSI devices currently on the market, including hard
   drives, Magneto-Optical drives, removable media drives and
   tape drives.

*  Switch to 68000 mode by simply clicking on our new "68000
   Mode" Icon, or include our special "mode switching" utility
   in your startup-sequence and select required mode each time
   system is rebooted, by holding down mouse button.

*  Provides the ultimate expandability of your A2000 system.
   Plugs into the "CPU accelerator" slot, thereby leaving ALL
   FIVE A2000 expansion slots free for future expansion.

dcantrel@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Daniel T Cantrell) (04/10/91)

I myself was rather excited about this new board from GVP.  I have not
found many (none really) mail order places that are carrying the new
accelerators, but the local dealer is selling the 22 MHz for aprox.
$900-$1000 (can't remember exactly, asked about 2 weeks ago).  I can't
wait till the mail order places get some of these in.

I especially like the built in SCSI port.

This brings me to a question I would like to put forth to the masses:
I have a A2000, and the A2320 video card.  I want  to move up in the
computer world to something faster, and get a self booting hard drive.
This leads me having to try to decide if I should go for a new GVP
series II accelerator and SCSI drive, or should I try to get a whole
A3000 system?

What will probably be the deciding factor is just what differences
there will be between the two systems.  I welcome everyones input
on my dilema.  Thanks.

Dan