[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A500 HD and memory expansion questions

ECZ5ACK@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Andy Kohler) (04/09/91)

   I'm just about to add a hard drive and 4 megs of memory to
my A500, and I have a couple questions.  I've decided to get the
GVP Series II controller and Quantum 80 or 105 meg drive, but
I also want to increase memory.  Should I get 4 megs of RAM in
the controller (rather expensive) or buy a Baseboard w/4 megs
($299)?  What are the advantages/disadvantages of each way?

Also, I'm not sure whether to buy through Computability (low
prices) or Briwall (good service) (judging just by their
ads in AmigaWorld).  Any recommendations/comparisons would be
welcomed.

Send e-mail and I will gladly summarize to the net.

Thanks much.
Andy Kohler
ecz5ack@mvs.oac.ucla.edu  or  ecz5ack@UCLAMVS

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/09/91)

In article <9104082116.AA23378@lilac.berkeley.edu> ECZ5ACK@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Andy Kohler) writes:

>   I'm just about to add a hard drive and 4 megs of memory to
>my A500, and I have a couple questions.  I've decided to get the
>GVP Series II controller and Quantum 80 or 105 meg drive, but
>I also want to increase memory.  Should I get 4 megs of RAM in
>the controller (rather expensive) or buy a Baseboard w/4 megs
>($299)?  What are the advantages/disadvantages of each way?

  I suggest you put the ram into the GVP drive. Otherwise you may have
to worry about getting a bigger power supply for your amiga. The GVP
comes with enough power for the drive and ram. And I do not see why it
costs more to put ram into the GVP. The GVP uses SIMM modules which should
cost about $60 each at the most. It should be cheaper to put in the 4 megs
into the GVP (however, if you order the ram already in the GVP the dealer
may be trying to make some quick money). For a new a3000, you can get an
additional 3 megs for $500 from the dealer. Or you can buy them separately
for a lower price; 4 megs for $400.  4/400 / 3/500 = $100/meg or $170/meg.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casal Bordino, Italia.

mascot@bnr.ca (Scott Mason) (04/11/91)

In article <9104082116.AA23378@lilac.berkeley.edu> ECZ5ACK@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (Andy Kohler) writes:

>   I'm just about to add a hard drive and 4 megs of memory to
>my A500, and I have a couple questions.  I've decided to get the
>GVP Series II controller and Quantum 80 or 105 meg drive, but
>I also want to increase memory.  Should I get 4 megs of RAM in
>the controller (rather expensive) or buy a Baseboard w/4 megs
>($299)?  What are the advantages/disadvantages of each way?

The Baseboard, which plugs into the trapdoor expansion, is interfaced
via the Chip Bus. In the future, it would be theoretically possible
to use memory installed on the Baseboard to expand Chip Memory. This
would likely require support on the Baseboard, and may involve an
upgrade of your Angus custom chip. A501 expanders are sometimes used
in this fashion (see other postings in this group).

Memory on the Baseboard which is not accessible to the custom chips
is allocated as Fast Memory. However, because it is interfaced with
the Chip Bus, it cannot be used by the processor whenever the custom
chips are accessing chip memory. This memory is often called Slow-
Fast memory, because it is allocated as Fast memory but cannot usually
be accessed as quickly as true Fast memory. True fast memory, such as
that installed in accessories interfaced to the expansion port, are
interfaced to the processor via the Zorro bus.

Scott.