[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Homemade MIDI interface

ekarlin@csws5.ic.sunysb.edu (Erik S Karlin) (04/06/91)

  I recently got the file midischem.lzh from ab20 and built the interface.

  Other than not knowing whether the actual chips are bad (I doubt it) I have
  checked and re-checked my work several times.

  The problem is that I cannot get it to work.

  I have a Casio CZ101 and tried MIDI in/out to MIDI in/out and
  MIDI in/out to MIDI out/in  and still nothing.

  The software that I have tried is:

  MED 2.3 , MED 3.0
  CZEd, AlgoRhythms, MidiTools --from the fish disks

  all did nothing.

  Then what I did was look up in my 2000 manual the pinouts for the serial
  port and noticed that pin 21 doesn't supply +5v as the schematic led me
  to believe (I have a new (2 mos.) 2000 if it matters)

  What I am wondering is has anyone gotten this interface to work, what
  programs does it work with, are there any updates to this schematic,
  am I missing something, or should I give up.

  Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

  Also- Since I did have fun building the interface
        (and now that I have all of the materials)
	are there any other hardware projects out there?
	Like a digitizer or something????OS

 ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

 Erik

 ekarlin@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

hamilton@intersil.uucp (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr6.064405.25982@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, ekarlin@csws5.ic.sunysb.edu (Erik S Karlin) writes:
>   I recently got the file midischem.lzh from ab20 and built the interface.
>   Other than not knowing whether the actual chips are bad (I doubt it) I have
>   checked and re-checked my work several times.
>   The problem is that I cannot get it to work.
>   I have a Casio CZ101 and tried MIDI in/out to MIDI in/out and
>   MIDI in/out to MIDI out/in  and still nothing.
>   The software that I have tried is:
>   MED 2.3 , MED 3.0
>   CZEd, AlgoRhythms, MidiTools --from the fish disks
>   all did nothing.

I had a similar problem with my homemade MIDI interface (actually it's a
MIDI OUT only-it's all I need right now and it's just a resistor hardware-
wise).  It wouldn't work with any of the software I tried, but it did work
whenever I'd probe it with my scope!  It turns out that the schematic I had
told you to connect the MIDI ground to shield ground (or something) rather
than system ground (or whatever it was).  When I moved the ground from one
pin to the next, it started working fine.  I'm sorry I don't remember
exactly what I did, but it was a while ago.  Anyway, it was ground-related.
--
Fred Hamilton                          "Unlike most of you,
Harris Semiconductor                    I am not a nut..."

xbl21@EVAX.IASTATE.EDU (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr6.064405.25982@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, ekarlin@csws5.ic.sunysb.edu (Erik S Karlin) writes:

>  I recently got the file midischem.lzh from ab20 and built the interface.
>
>  Other than not knowing whether the actual chips are bad (I doubt it) I have
>  checked and re-checked my work several times.
>
>  The problem is that I cannot get it to work.
>  What I am wondering is has anyone gotten this interface to work, what
>  programs does it work with, are there any updates to this schematic,
>  am I missing something, or should I give up.

I built a MIDI interface that was originally designed for the Amiga 1000
several years ago.  A friend of mine adapted the power input for the
500/2000/3000.  It works just fine.  On mine I have two MIDI/in, two MIDI/out,
and one MIDI/thru port.  I will check out the one posted on ab20 and if it is
not the same thing, I will see about posting my own project schematics.  (IF I
can find the disk ;-)

Oh, and it works with everything I have tried it with... MED 2.0/3.0, Tiger Cub
(gasp!), and Bars & Pipes.  It has been used with a CZ-101 and a Roland MT-32.

>  Also- Since I did have fun building the interface
>        (and now that I have all of the materials)
>	are there any other hardware projects out there?
>	Like a digitizer or something????OS

I have schematics for two audio digitizers.  They are both basically the same.
Mono, max speed only 14000 samples/sec, and the sound is not exactly commercial
quality.

I also have schematics for a Digi-View clone.  That one looks like a real
handfull so I haven't (and probably won't since I wouldn't have any software
without buying the real DigiView hardware) built it.  Those schematics MAY be
on ab20 as well.  I'll check if you are interested.