[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Math Co- Question..

dcantrel@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Daniel T Cantrell) (04/12/91)

I just got a educational price list yesterday,
and the description for the A3000-16/50 system
includes a 68881 Math Co-Processor, as does the
A3000-25/100.   But, the A3000-25/50 includes
a 68882 Co-Proc.  I was wondering what difference
this makes for the machines, and what the
difference there is between the two chips.

Dan.

I read this one on the alt.evil board:

In the middle of EVIL is "VI"

In article <1991Apr11.170352.20467@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> dcantrel@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Daniel T Cantrell) writes:
>I just got a educational price list yesterday,
>and the description for the A3000-16/50 system
>includes a 68881 Math Co-Processor, as does the
>A3000-25/100.   But, the A3000-25/50 includes
>a 68882 Co-Proc.  I was wondering what difference
>this makes for the machines, and what the
>difference there is between the two chips.
>
>Dan.
>
>I read this one on the alt.evil board:
>
>In the middle of EVIL is "VI"

	Actually the 16MHz model comes with the 881, the others
all come with an 882. The difference is mainly speed.
	-- Ethan

Q: How many Comp Sci majors does it take to change a lightbulb
A: None. It's a hardware problem.

In article <1991Apr11.170352.20467@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> dcantrel@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Daniel T Cantrell) writes:
>   But, the A3000-25/50 includes
>a 68882 Co-Proc.  I was wondering what difference
>this makes for the machines, and what the
>difference there is between the two chips.

The 68882 is newer, more expensive and double as fast as the 68881.
I think it also provides afew (very few) additional operations?

>I read this one on the alt.evil board:
>
>In the middle of EVIL is "VI"

Agreed.