[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] GVP series II and BridgeBoard

siannce@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Twinkie the Sponge Cake) (04/13/91)

I posted an earlier message about not being able to use these 2 devices
together and have narrowed it down a little. When both devices are in their
slots (The GVP controller has 2 megabytes on it and is the new one) the
binddrivers command doesn't work on the bridge-board. I know it isn't working
because when I remove the hardcard and do the binddrivers command the light
on the 5.25" drive will go on for a little bit, and then I can use PCWINDOWs
and everything will work just fine. But when I put the hardcard back in and
issue the binddrivers command I don't get any light on the 5.25" and will
get that "Can't find libraries" requester if I attempt to use PCWINDOWS. I've
even tried doing the binddrivers with the gvp.scsi stuff removed from the
expansion drawer with no luck... Anyone have a similar problem? Or do you have
a GVP II & a A2088 working fine? I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who's
experienced this problem...

	Thanks in advance
		-Stephan

	-Stephan Iannce (siannce@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU)     // YAAJ (Yet Another
          	   On the E^4 Year plan.            	\X/      Amiga Junkie)

jmundt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jeffrey Steven Mundt) (04/13/91)

siannce@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Twinkie the Sponge Cake) writes:

>I posted an earlier message about not being able to use these 2 devices
>together and have narrowed it down a little. When both devices are in their
>slots (The GVP controller has 2 megabytes on it and is the new one) the
>binddrivers command doesn't work on the bridge-board. I know it isn't working
>because when I remove the hardcard and do the binddrivers command the light
>on the 5.25" drive will go on for a little bit, and then I can use PCWINDOWs
>and everything will work just fine. But when I put the hardcard back in and
>issue the binddrivers command I don't get any light on the 5.25" and will
>get that "Can't find libraries" requester if I attempt to use PCWINDOWS. I've
>even tried doing the binddrivers with the gvp.scsi stuff removed from the
>expansion drawer with no luck... Anyone have a similar problem? Or do you have
>a GVP II & a A2088 working fine? I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who's
>experienced this problem...
>
>	Thanks in advance
>		-Stephan

Well, I'm successfully (sort-of, anyhow) using a 2088 with a Series II card.
The only problem is that the bridgeboard sometimes doesn't come up when the
machine is cold-started, giving a Janus setup failure.  This didn't happen when
I had a Series I card (that is, everything worked fine).  Just for the record,
I have the 2088, the Series II w/ 2 meg of RAM, an ancient 2090, an ST-506
hooked up to the 2090, and a SCSI hooked up to the GVP.  As usual, there is
no pattern whatsoever to when it decides to work.  However, if you leave the
machine sit there on and wait about five minutes and re-execute binddrivers, it
works as usual; re-booting will sometimes do the same thing.

--Jeff

"Are you suggesting that cocoanuts migrate?"
  -- Monty Python