[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Desperately looking for an 86 pin connector

nj1@ra.MsState.Edu (Norman) (04/13/91)

 I am planning to add GVP series II A500 HD to my A1000, but don't want it
 to block the mouse/joystick ports. Can anybody tell me where to look for an
  86 pin connector that can help me solve the problem.
   Thanx in advance.

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (04/13/91)

In article <nj1.671483186@Ra.MsState.Edu> nj1@ra.MsState.Edu (Norman) writes:

> I am planning to add GVP series II A500 HD to my A1000, but don't want it
> to block the mouse/joystick ports. Can anybody tell me where to look for an
>  86 pin connector that can help me solve the problem.
>   Thanx in advance.

Frankly, nowhere. In order to let the controller slide into the side connector,
you will need to take to case off anyway, thus letting the joystick plug in as
easely as the mouse.

If you wish to keep the case on, you will have to cut the bottom half of the
the conecting tongue's shield. In such a case, you can probably also remove
the encasing of the joystick's connector.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

bj@cbmvax.commodore.com (Brian Jackson) (04/14/91)

In article <2366@public.BTR.COM> valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) writes:
>In article <nj1.671483186@Ra.MsState.Edu> nj1@ra.MsState.Edu (Norman) writes:
>>
>> I am planning to add GVP series II A500 HD to my A1000, but don't want it
>> to block the mouse/joystick ports. Can anybody tell me where to look for an
>>  86 pin connector that can help me solve the problem.
>>   Thanx in advance.
>
>Frankly, nowhere. In order to let the controller slide into the side connector,
>you will need to take to case off anyway, thus letting the joystick plug in as
>easely as the mouse.
>
>If you wish to keep the case on, you will have to cut the bottom half of the
>the conecting tongue's shield. In such a case, you can probably also remove
>the encasing of the joystick's connector.

Or, you can do what I did with my A590/A1000 combination - I used an
86-pin (female-male) extender. It adds about 1" to the A1000's
connector and eliminates the need to do any cutting or case removal
whatsoever.

Oh, and this is not, in any way, an official endorsement that this is
the way to expand your A1000. I speak for myself only (ie, sue ME when
this blows up your A1000 and not CBM, ok?  :grin: )

bj

 | Brian Jackson  Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga Inc.  GEnie: B.J. |
 | bj@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com    or  ...{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!bj     |
 | "Seek simplicity, and distrust it."                                 |