[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Blue screen

neil@pnet01.cts.com (Neil Coito) (04/12/91)

Could someone tell me what a blue screen mean on bootup.  I have a B2000 and
on powerup I only get a blue screen.  Is this ROM failure?  Thanks for any
help.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!neil
ARPA: crash!pnet01!neil@nosc.mil
INET: neil@pnet01.cts.com

pzajax@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Peter Zajax) (04/12/91)

In article <8525@crash.cts.com> neil@pnet01.cts.com (Neil Coito) writes:
>Could someone tell me what a blue screen mean on bootup.  I have a B2000 and
>on powerup I only get a blue screen.  Is this ROM failure?  Thanks for any
>help.

I can't quite remember but I think you are right! and I think green is
RAM failure. I have the document somewere but can't find it right now.
You know what's it like when you need something :-)

Hope I'm right. Sorry for you,
Pete.

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (04/13/91)

In article <8525@crash.cts.com> neil@pnet01.cts.com (Neil Coito) writes:
>Could someone tell me what a blue screen mean on bootup.  I have a B2000 and
>on powerup I only get a blue screen.  Is this ROM failure?  Thanks for any
>help.

A Blue screen indicates an error in the custom chips.  The other colors are
as follows :

  RED: Error in the ROMs
  GREEN: Error in the CHIP RAM
  YELLOW: An error in the 68000 before a GURU could kick in.

I believe that these are correct and if anyone KNOWS better, please let
the world know.

* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
*                           *                   \\\///030 *
*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
	    -=[ In Stereo Where Available ]=-

plav@cup.portal.com (Rick M Plavnicky) (04/14/91)

pzajax@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Peter Zajax) writes:

>In article <8525@crash.cts.com> neil@pnet01.cts.com (Neil Coito) writes:
>>Could someone tell me what a blue screen mean on bootup.  I have a B2000 and
>>on powerup I only get a blue screen.  Is this ROM failure?  Thanks for any
>>help.
>
>I can't quite remember but I think you are right! and I think green is
>RAM failure. I have the document somewere but can't find it right now.
>You know what's it like when you need something :-)
>
>Hope I'm right. Sorry for you,
>Pete.

No, blue is a problem with the custom chips.  To wit:

	Dark gray     Ok Hardware
	Light gray    Ok Software
	Red           Bad ROM Checksum
	Green         Bad RAM
	Blue          Bad Custom Chips
	Yellow        Exception

There's another copy of the chart, Pete.  Good luck, Neil.

/* Rick Plavnicky ...!sun!cup.portal.com!plav  -or-  plav@cup.portal.com */