[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Compatibility info requested on 15" tall Packard-Bell monitor

erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) (04/15/91)

I have the chance to buy a monitor which will (on a PC clone) display
an 8" x 11.5" image.  I would like to find out if it will interface
to an Amiga, either with the scan-deinterlacer (VGA compatible) or
with the ECS Denise.  I do not know the range of outputs that the
Denise can be driven to, but I do have the specs on the monitor.

The monitor is made by Packard-Bell and appears to come with its own
proprietary PC/XT card for driving it at 736 x 1006.  It is also
(apparently) Hercules (w/ parallel) compatible (resolution unspecified)

Horizontal Frequency: 62.75 kHz.
Vertical Frequency: 59.88 kHz.
Maximum Resolution: 1006 x 1048.

How do these scan rates compare with NTSC, MGA, CGA, EGA and VGA?

Thanks for any info you anyone can provide,
-ethan

--
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

watters@sphere.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (04/15/91)

In article <107827@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) writes:
>The monitor is made by Packard-Bell and appears to come with its own
>proprietary PC/XT card for driving it at 736 x 1006.  It is also
>(apparently) Hercules (w/ parallel) compatible (resolution unspecified)
>
>Horizontal Frequency: 62.75 kHz.
>Vertical Frequency: 59.88 kHz.
>Maximum Resolution: 1006 x 1048.

These numbers seem way out of line.
The Amiga 1084 has:
horizontal blank: 15.?kHz
vertical blank: 60Hz(NTSC) & 50Hz(PAL)

To use a multisync with the Amiga w/ a deinterlacer/new denise and all the new
modes it needs to be able to drop down to 15.?kHz and go up to ~30-31kHz for
the horizontal blanking frequency.  For the NTSC modes it needs to have a
vertical blank of 60Hz, and for the PAL modes it needs to be able to drop
to 50Hz.

A popular resolution nowdays is 1024(H) x 768(V) in both interlaced and
noninterlaced versions, the latter being much more expensive.  I have
cought a few words that with 2.0, the ECS, and a monitor that's capable,  you
can have a screen up near 1300x900?! (Anyone with exact figures pleas comment.)

David

-=-
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars.
 All of us do time in the gutter, dreamers turn to look at the cars!" - RUSH
David watters@cis.ohio-state.edu  "It's 12:35... and Michigan STILL sucks."
_-_-_-__---_---_---__-_-_-____ TurboExpress : The Neo*Geo of portables _____