[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Xetec Fastrack

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) (04/03/91)

Recently there was a post from somone who had a Xetec Fasttrack for a couple
of years.  He said that the driver disabled interupts for an unreasonably long
time.  Does anyone know if the current driver shipped still does this?  I do
an awful lot of up/downloading........

Also, the AmigaWhirld article states that the Xetec is a DMA controler.
Is this really a new controller or did amiga or did AmigaWhirled screw up
again?

Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

iank@microsoft.UUCP (Ian KENNEDY) (04/10/91)

In article <22887@know.pws.bull.com> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) writes:
>Recently there was a post from somone who had a Xetec Fasttrack for a couple
>of years.  He said that the driver disabled interupts for an unreasonably long
>time.  Does anyone know if the current driver shipped still does this?  I do
>an awful lot of up/downloading........
>
>Also, the AmigaWhirld article states that the Xetec is a DMA controler.
>Is this really a new controller or did amiga or did AmigaWhirled screw up
>again?
The XETEC controler uses what the manufacturer calls DMAx, which they claim
produces DMA like speeds without the DMA bus contention when working
with hi-res screens. However, I believe that the controler is really NON-DMA
and uses really efficient driver software.

I own a XETEC FastTrack controller driving a 48 MB 28ms seagate drive.
Even with the pathetic Seagate I get throughput of about 400 Kps. The Claims
of 750 Kps (Kilobytes per second) can only be realized with a really fast
hard disk. I have also added the 4MB fast ram daughter board for $360 from
the manufacturer with 80ns simms.

I'm running it on a circa 1987 rev 5 A500 and it works great. I've never
experienced any waiting while the hard drive is accessed. I've even been
able to work on one partition while de-fragmenting/optimizing another.

Hope this helps...

Ian.

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (04/18/91)

In article <71795@microsoft.UUCP> iank@microsoft.UUCP (Ian KENNEDY) writes:
>In article <22887@know.pws.bull.com> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Eric Edwards) writes:
>>Recently there was a post from somone who had a Xetec Fasttrack for a couple
>>of years.  He said that the driver disabled interupts for an unreasonably long
>>time.  Does anyone know if the current driver shipped still does this?  I do
>>an awful lot of up/downloading........
>>
>>Also, the AmigaWhirld article states that the Xetec is a DMA controler.
>>Is this really a new controller or did amiga or did AmigaWhirled screw up
>>again?
>The XETEC controler uses what the manufacturer calls DMAx, which they claim
>produces DMA like speeds without the DMA bus contention when working
>with hi-res screens. However, I believe that the controler is really NON-DMA
>and uses really efficient driver software.
>
>I own a XETEC FastTrack controller driving a 48 MB 28ms seagate drive.
>Even with the pathetic Seagate I get throughput of about 400 Kps. The Claims
>of 750 Kps (Kilobytes per second) can only be realized with a really fast
>hard disk. I have also added the 4MB fast ram daughter board for $360 from
>the manufacturer with 80ns simms.
>
>I'm running it on a circa 1987 rev 5 A500 and it works great. I've never
>experienced any waiting while the hard drive is accessed. I've even been
>able to work on one partition while de-fragmenting/optimizing another.
>
>Hope this helps...
>
>Ian.
>>
>>Eric Edwards: c506634 @    "The 3090.  Proof that by applying state of the
>>Inet: umcvmb.missouri.edu   art technology to an obsolete architecture,
>>Bitnet: umcvmb.bitnet       one can achieve mediocre performance."

I'm even worse.  I bought the Xetec and put in a Conner cp-340.
When I bought the Conner, we tested it out on the sellers Hard Frame.
It got 600+k/sec (with no HD noise!)

When I got it home though, I was dissappointed to find that the max
the Xetec can do for my A500 is a VERY pathetic 150k/sec!

I tried everything....but no go.  The Conner is weird.  It works with the
the Miniscribe asyncronous driver AND the Quantum syncronous driver.  I
bet that the Conner needs it's own syncronious driver to perform it's max....

oh well
Phil Dietz

-- Subliminal Signature
                                                            Phil Dietz