[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HELP! AMIGA won't boot with new Fujitsu drive

dvf@unhd.unh.edu (David V Feldman) (04/18/91)

I am trying to connect a new Fujitsu drive (1.2 Gig) to my AMIGA 2500.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this.  When I power
up with the 2091 Installation Software in the floppy drive, the system
locks up.  I have checked that the cables are correctly aligned and that
the new drives address does not conflict with the internal quantum drive.
A puzzling thing is that the AMIGA freezes even when the cable is not
connected to the new external drive, but only to the 2091!  Is this to
be expected, or might there be a short in the cable?  There are a number of
jumpers on the drive that can be removed to change various characteristic,
synchronous mode to asynchronous mode, cut down max transfer rate, etc. and
I would be very happy not to try all the combinations if someone knows what
works.  Thanks very much.

David Feldman

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr18.044724.6677@unhd.unh.edu> dvf@unhd.unh.edu (David V Feldman) writes:
>I am trying to connect a new Fujitsu drive (1.2 Gig) to my AMIGA 2500.

Once you get it working, watch out for extra-large partitions.  I found that
my Amiga 3000 has problems if any partition is over 512 megabytes in size.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/19/91)

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:

>In article <1991Apr18.044724.6677@unhd.unh.edu> dvf@unhd.unh.edu (David V Feldman) writes:
>>I am trying to connect a new Fujitsu drive (1.2 Gig) to my AMIGA 2500.

>Once you get it working, watch out for extra-large partitions.  I found that
>my Amiga 3000 has problems if any partition is over 512 megabytes in size.

Yep, that's a bug in 2.02, fixed in later versions, and not present in
1.3. Though there is another bug that affects partitions over 1GB.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g