[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Adding 16-bit memory to a 2500

kenny@mazurka.UUCP (Kenneth Fletcher Yarnall, Ab.D.) (04/09/91)

I asked this before, but I have my suspicions as to whether it got out...

I am thinking of adding memory to the 2091 in my 2500/30.  I recall Dave
commenting a long time ago that it was possible to regulate the order in
which memory was used by the system, and thus ensure that this 16 bit memory
would be used only after all the 32 bit stuff had been soaked up.
Unfortunately, I didn't save the article.  Could someone (Dave??? :-) re-
explain this?  I promise to write it down this time...

Thanks,
(PS.  Replying via email probably won't work.  Use one of the addresses below)
--
      Ken Yarnall                 ///    kenny%mazurka@opusc.csd.scarolina.EDU
       Math Department, USC   \\\///    yarnall@usceast.cs.scarolina.EDU

In article <kenny.3647@mazurka.UUCP> kenny@mazurka.UUCP (Kenneth Fletcher Yarnall, Ab.D.) writes:
>I asked this before, but I have my suspicions as to whether it got out...

>I am thinking of adding memory to the 2091 in my 2500/30.  I recall Dave
>commenting a long time ago that it was possible to regulate the order in
>which memory was used by the system, and thus ensure that this 16 bit memory
>would be used only after all the 32 bit stuff had been soaked up.

It's done automatically.  The memory lists are ordered by expansion.library in
the same order the configuration is done.  The A26x0 magically makes the 32
bit memory the first configuration unit, regardless of what else might be in
the system.  So 32 bit memory always shows up first.  Poof!

Excepting, of course, that silly $00C0xxxx memory.  You can always run
FastMemFirst to reorder that list, or better yet, convert over to 1MB of Chip
RAM and eliminate the problem alltogether.

>      Ken Yarnall                 ///    kenny%mazurka@opusc.csd.scarolina.EDU

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.