[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Serial Port

cs472119@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs472119) (11/06/90)

Well, today I put my A500 in the shop.  My serial port can send, but
not receive.  I haven't received an estimate yet, and was wondering if
anyone has any input that might help me to decide if the estimate is resonable.

The port itself is ok.  U39 (an IC - NOR gates) seems to be getting a signal.
(I have only a battery checker to test this!!!!)

Paula seems fine in all other respects.

I've tried swithing the CIA's (8520's), with absolutely no change in symptoms.

I think I need a new "U39" installed (forgot the IC numbers).

BTW: Don't hook the parallel and serial ports of an HPlaserIIP to two
different computers which might eventually be turned on together.

Have YOU ever had this problem?
What do YOU think is wrong?

Thanks,
 Larry Augsburger

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/12/91)

I am having a problem with my serial port. I don't know if it is a progamming
error or a hardware error. The problem is that I have to open and close the
serial device after every access to the device. I have noted that other
programmers can open the port and read during the course of the program's
execution. If I try this the program performs only 1 read and then keeps
returning the same data. If I open and close the port for each read, it works
fine. Thanks.

neil

--
Only 3186 shopping days left till the next millenium!
Neil F. Richmond         INTERNET: celia!neil@usc.edu

patrik@hexagon.se (Patrik ]berg) (04/15/91)

In article <982@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:

>I am having a problem with my serial port. I don't know if it is a progamming
>error or a hardware error. The problem is that I have to open and close the
>serial device after every access to the device. I have noted that other

Please tell me what language you are using, and I will try to help you.

neil@celia.UUCP (Neil Richmond) (04/16/91)

In article <982@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:

>I am having a problem with my serial port. I don't know if it is a progamming
>error or a hardware error. The problem is that I have to open and close the
>serial device after every access to the device. I have noted that other
>programmers can open the port and read during the course of the program's
>execution. If I try this the program performs only 1 read and then keeps
>returning the same data. If I open and close the port for each read, it works
>fine. Thanks.

I just wanted to add some info that might help someone tell me what the problem
is. If I open the serial port and leave it open, it runs okay till I start
doing anything in other windows. If I open another application, the mouse
pointer gets very unresponsive. It starts putting out spurious data and the
mouse pointer goes kind of cuckoo. The way it currently is, opening and closing
the serial port each time, I lose the port when I make the code load and
stay resident. The only way it works now is to run it from workbench or cli.
This might be okay, but I would like to open the serial port just once. I
figure I am losing some speed by opening and closing the serial device each
time I access the port. Thanks

neil

--
Only 3183 shopping days left till the next millenium!

In article <3405@hexagon.se> patrik@hexagon.se (Patrik ]berg) writes:
>In article <982@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:

>>I am having a problem with my serial port. I don't know if it is a progamming
>>error or a hardware error. The problem is that I have to open and close the

>Please tell me what language you are using, and I will try to help you.

I am using the SAS/C version 5.10a Compiler.

neil

--
Only 3182 shopping days left till the next millenium!

patrik@hexagon.se (Patrik ]berg) (04/19/91)

In article <986@celia.UUCP> celia!neil@usc.edu (Neil Richmond) writes:

>I am using the SAS/C version 5.10a Compiler.

I have never tested that compiler, but if you are using C you can always
try to write a small and handy asm-routine.

--
Patrik ]berg
EUnet: patrik@hexagon.se