[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] a500 mem expansion

dimick@CAE.WISC.EDU (04/17/91)

Hiya,
	I have some questions about memory expansion on the A500.
I don't own an amiga (yet) and am curious as to the options
available to upgrade memory.
	Recently I was paging thru a copy of Amigawoild and saw
an ad for the adIde ICD hard drive controller.  What interested me most
though was the picture of the A500 motherboard, or at least part of
it.
        The corner with the expansion slots and memory was in view and
I happened to notice that there were empty, solder filled holes just
waiting for memory chips. . . or so I imagine.
	Now, for the questions:
	I am pretty good with a soldering iron and have anti-static
equiptment.  So other than a voided warranty, does the added memory
cause any other problems?
	Are the memory chips 256 X 4 or some other configuration?
If something else, what kind are they?
	Has anyone else tried this, and if so could you let me know how
it worked?
	One more:  I am not sure what revision of motherboard this was.
Are these holes existant in all the motherboards? some of them? just
one? none? (my imagination gone wild . . . )

			Marcus Dimick
			dimick@cae.wisc.edu

Many thanks in advance. .. (out of order)

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/20/91)

In article <9104170524.AA04874@ws-82.cae.wisc.edu> dimick@CAE.WISC.EDU writes:

>Hiya,
>	I have some questions about memory expansion on the A500.
>I don't own an amiga (yet) and am curious as to the options
>available to upgrade memory.
>	Recently I was paging thru a copy of Amigawoild and saw
>an ad for the adIde ICD hard drive controller.  What interested me most
>though was the picture of the A500 motherboard, or at least part of
>it.
>        The corner with the expansion slots and memory was in view and
>I happened to notice that there were empty, solder filled holes just
>waiting for memory chips. . . or so I imagine.
>	Now, for the questions:
>	I am pretty good with a soldering iron and have anti-static
>equiptment.  So other than a voided warranty, does the added memory
>cause any other problems?

  It would probably be configured as chip ram, which would be 'slow' memory,
but it would allow you to run more applications and use larger data bytes for
graphics and sound.

>	Are the memory chips 256 X 4 or some other configuration?
>If something else, what kind are they?
>	Has anyone else tried this, and if so could you let me know how
>it worked?
>	One more:  I am not sure what revision of motherboard this was.
>Are these holes existant in all the motherboards? some of them? just
>one? none? (my imagination gone wild . . . )

  Probably rev 6 and up (there may be a 6b or something like that).

>			Marcus Dimick
>			dimick@cae.wisc.edu
>
>Many thanks in advance. .. (out of order)

  Also, it may depend on whether it has the Fatter/Super/Obese Agnus chip.
I think it would be model 8372 or 8372a (well, it doesn't end in 0 or 1).
8xx0 is NTSC, 8xx1 is PAL, 8xx2 is NTSC/PAL.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.