[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] HD for A500

v104nmym@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Sherman T Chan) (04/19/91)

Can someone tell me what is the absolute, most dir cheap
way to add a hard drive to the A500?

Thanx

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/21/91)

In article <71822@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v104nmym@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>Can someone tell me what is the absolute, most dir cheap
>way to add a hard drive to the A500?
>
>Thanx

  AdIDE-40 drive controller - $120
  IDE 40 meg drive - $200 and up
  splitter cable for floppy power supply - $1

for a grand total of $350 or so, and should cost no more than $400.

  Make sure that the IDE drive uses the same power supply as the floppy,
not the big bulky ones that most SCSI drives use. The IDE drive must also
be low profile, otherwise you will have to remove the floppy drive and place
the floppy drive externally (which I am doing). Otherwise the drive may
vibrate inside the computer too much.

  The Software Shop has a nice 40 meg Teac drive for $260. I thought about
using velcro to keep the drive in place, by putting some of the velcro
stickers on top of chips, but there may be too much heat interference.

  If you decide to use the floppy bay for the hard drive, the floppy can
be set atop the A500, but you won't be able to move it around too much. It
will still boot as df0:. If you use an external df1: drive, it can boot
DOS disks just as df0: would, but not games that use non-DOS disks.

  It migrates to the A2000.
--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.