[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 486 PC in an Amiga

dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) (04/20/91)

Was just looking at a System Integrators Magazine and seeing a rather
interesting product made me want to pose a question to the Commodore
hardware types.  The product in particular which I saw was a 25Mhz
486 with up to 32M of RAM, a parallel port, a serial port, IDE port,
SCSI port, a floppy port, PS/2 keyboard port, and a PS/2 mouse port.
All of this was located on one AT card.  Mind you the board probably
costs a fortune but, nevertheless given my limited understanding
of the PC bus inside the 2000/3000 I figured the board probably should
work and it would give you a high powered PC and an Amiga all in one box.
Even has a spot on board for a ROM drive.
Of course, it wouldn't have the bridge board's capability to communicate
to the Amiga side and you would probably want to use a VGA card and a switch
box to flip between the Amiga display and the PC display.  Also, you
would need to install a floppy and hard drive somewhere for the PC
to use.  Still, it is an interesting idea.  Any reason it wouldn't work?

David Albrecht

drysdale@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Drysdale) (04/21/91)

In article <337@toylnd.UUCP> dca@toylnd.UUCP (David C. Albrecht) writes:
>Was just looking at a System Integrators Magazine and seeing a rather
>interesting product made me want to pose a question to the Commodore
>hardware types.  The product in particular which I saw was a 25Mhz
>486 with up to 32M of RAM, a parallel port, a serial port, IDE port,
>SCSI port, a floppy port, PS/2 keyboard port, and a PS/2 mouse port.
>All of this was located on one AT card.  Mind you the board probably
>costs a fortune but, nevertheless given my limited understanding
>of the PC bus inside the 2000/3000 I figured the board probably should
>work and it would give you a high powered PC and an Amiga all in one box.
>Even has a spot on board for a ROM drive.
>Of course, it wouldn't have the bridge board's capability to communicate
>to the Amiga side and you would probably want to use a VGA card and a switch
>box to flip between the Amiga display and the PC display.  Also, you
>would need to install a floppy and hard drive somewhere for the PC
>to use.  Still, it is an interesting idea.  Any reason it wouldn't work?

this and similar products that are designed to drive a passive xt or at
backplane should work in the 2000 or 3000's xt/at slots.  no guarantees,
of course.

>David Albrecht

  --Scotty
Scott Drysdale           Software Engineer
Commodore Amiga Inc.     UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!drysdale
		         PHONE - yes.
"Have you hugged your hog today?"