[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Logitech Hi-res Bus Mouse with Amiga 1000

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (04/18/91)

I have a friend that wants to use a Logitech Hi-res Bus Mouse with his Amiga
1000.  He said he heard that it could be done, so I said I'd ask.  Has this
been done before, and if so, could someone send me the instructions so I can
pass it on to him?

Thanks
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

colin_fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) (04/19/91)

>I have a friend that wants to use a Logitech Hi-res Bus Mouse with his Amiga
>1000.  He said he heard that it could be done, so I said I'd ask.  Has this
>been done before, and if so, could someone send me the instructions so I can
>pass it on to him?

Well, I use the Logitec 3 button bus mouse on my Amiga 2500 with no
difficulties at all. The tricky part was hacking off the end plug and seeing
what colour wires went to which pins (took me all day to carve out that
stupid injection-moulded plug).

Of course, I can't find the documentation now :( but it's around here
somewhere.

While we're on the topic, could someone (or a bunch of people) talk to Logitec
and get them to make Amiga compatible plugs? When I made my busmouse work on
the Amiga, it was a simple re-wire. Nothing special to add, so for Logitec it
would simply be a case of them putting a different plug on the end of the
cord.

One last thing - I can testify to the quality of the Logitec product. For
example, the mouse cable has a steel mesh sleeve all along it for extra
strength. Took me a while to get through it (I was trying to be careful), but
it would seem to add extra years onto the life of the cable.

+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Colin_Fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca | "...heavy!"                      |
+-------------------------------------+ "There's that word again! Is     |
| Informal home of SIGGRAPH Vancouver,|  there a problem with gravity in |
| and proud of it!                    |  the future?" -- Doc             |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) (04/20/91)

In article <colin_fox.0241@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>, colin_fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) writes:

> While we're on the topic, could someone (or a bunch of people) talk to Logitec
> and get them to make Amiga compatible plugs? When I made my busmouse work on
> the Amiga, it was a simple re-wire. Nothing special to add, so for Logitec it
> would simply be a case of them putting a different plug on the end of the
> cord.

Actually, I think you'll find Logitech already ARE doing mice for the
Amiga - I was looking thru a catalog from our local Logitech dealer recently
and noticed they had mice for the CBM PC10-III and PC40 - both of which
have built in mouse ports that use Amiga mice (if you ever want to blow
one up try plugging a serial mouse in the port - our local CBM dealers
forever having problems with people doing that :-).

Now if Logitech would just update their advertising so it made it CLEAR
those mice also work on Amigas (and do a left handed version of the TrackMan
while they're at it :-)

| o  John Davis - CHEM194@canterbury.ac.nz               o |
| o  (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department      o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |

david@starsoft.hou.tx.us (Dave Lowrey) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr20.151845.495@csc.canterbury.ac.nz> chem194@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (John Davis) writes:

> In article <colin_fox.0241@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca>, colin_fox@ice.outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Colin Fox) writes:
>
> > While we're on the topic, could someone (or a bunch of people) talk to Logitec
> > and get them to make Amiga compatible plugs? When I made my busmouse work on
> > the Amiga, it was a simple re-wire. Nothing special to add, so for Logitec it
> > would simply be a case of them putting a different plug on the end of the
> > cord.
>
> Actually, I think you'll find Logitech already ARE doing mice for the
> Amiga - I was looking thru a catalog from our local Logitech dealer recently
> and noticed they had mice for the CBM PC10-III and PC40 - both of which
> have built in mouse ports that use Amiga mice (if you ever want to blow
> one up try plugging a serial mouse in the port - our local CBM dealers
> forever having problems with people doing that :-).

Are they making Trak-Balls also?

> Now if Logitech would just update their advertising so it made it CLEAR
> those mice also work on Amigas (and do a left handed version of the TrackMan
> while they're at it :-)

These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the company! :-)

      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
Starbound Software Group |
      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic