[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Maxtor SCSI help needed

jh203s806@sycom.UUCP (Jim Harvey) (04/22/91)

I'm trying to get a new Maxtor LXT-100S 3 1/2 inch SCSI drive to work with
first, an Amiga 500 with an old C-Ltd controller, and second, a 2000 with a
2090 controller.  I'm having basiclly rotten luck.  PREP on the 2000 refuses
to deal with the Maxtor's 32 sectors per track.  I set this to 16 and doubled
the tracks to 1466 and I can get it to PREP but FORMAT locks up on the first
track.  The 500/C-Ltd controller won't talk to the drive at all.  How does one
trouble shoot something like this?  I have no way to see what's going on on
the SCSI interface and none of these programs give me any useful error
messages (like "Device not PREPed", that really helps a LOT).

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has gotten one of these little Maxtor's
going on and Amiga.  They were relatively cheap, $300 for 96 megs.  Will
somebody else's controller work?

Jim Harvey    jh203s806@sycom.UUCP

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (04/23/91)

In article <jh203s806.8482@sycom.UUCP> jh203s806@sycom.UUCP (Jim Harvey)
writes:

>I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has gotten one of these little Maxtor's
>going on and Amiga.  They were relatively cheap, $300 for 96 megs.  Will
>somebody else's controller work?

I have been using a Maxtor LXT-100S with my GVP HD+ controller without
problems for two weeks now. At $300, it was a good buy. It runs rather hot,
but without any apparent problems. My appartment needs heating during the
cold desert nights anyway.

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700

dlb28311@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (David Black) (04/24/91)

I *used to have one of those, which seemed to work well with my IVS
Trumpcard controller, but the bearings went out on the drive after
four weeks of use. I sent it back for a refund, and picked up a Quantum
105 for $379 from APS (in Computer Shopper). Twice the speed, and another 10
megs of storage make me a happy guy. :) Something caught my eye about your
post, though... 32 blocks/track? What about the spare block? I too had
problems when I tried to run it that way. It would be a good idea to leave
that last block free as a spare if at all possible.

David Black  University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory          ///
             Internet: dave-b@uiuc.edu                                    ///
             Bitnet:   black@uiucmrl                                  \\\///
             Usenet:   uunet!uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu!black%uimrl.dnet      \XX/

hansi@abalon.se (Hansi Tesarz) (04/24/91)

I hade the same problem with my Maxtor XT170 and A2090 controller
The problem seem to be in the maxtor
 The maxtor drive dont seem to answer the 2090 fast enough.

I solved the problem by first boting the amiga
then power on the maxtor
and then softreseting the amiga
I have heard that its possible to change a resistor on the 2090
that vill fix the problem.

please let me now if you fix it differently.

Hansi Tesarz
hansi@abalon.se
Abalon AB, Box 11129, 161 11 Bromma, SWEDEN.