[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A3000 fast memory

aleneis@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tony Leneis) (04/19/91)

Hello all:

	I just got an A3000-25/50 a few days ago.  While it is blazingly
fast compared to my vernerable A1000, it needs more fast memory in a bad way.
What kind of DRAMs should I get to squeeze the best performance out of my
Ami?  Is 1M x 4, 80ns static column ZIPs the way to go?  Is there any benefit
to getting 70ns chips?  (I'd assume the answer is no, as anything from 41ns
to 80ns should theoretically perform the same on a 25MHz machine.)  Thanks.

Tony Leneis
aleneis@jarthur.claremont.edu
aleneis@hmcvax.claremont.edu

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (04/23/91)

In article <11791@jarthur.Claremont.EDU- aleneis@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Tony Leneis) writes:
-
-Hello all:
-
-	I just got an A3000-25/50 a few days ago.  While it is blazingly
-fast compared to my vernerable A1000, it needs more fast memory in a bad way.
-What kind of DRAMs should I get to squeeze the best performance out of my
-Ami?  Is 1M x 4, 80ns static column ZIPs the way to go?  Is there any benefit
-to getting 70ns chips?  (I'd assume the answer is no, as anything from 41ns
-to 80ns should theoretically perform the same on a 25MHz machine.)  Thanks.
-
-Tony Leneis
-aleneis@jarthur.claremont.edu
-aleneis@hmcvax.claremont.edu

What if someone plans to upgrade with a 68040 board? Is it any chance
that faster RAM on the motherboard would be useful?

Tommy Petersson
tope@enea.se

In article <3238@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:

>What if someone plans to upgrade with a 68040 board? Is it any chance
>that faster RAM on the motherboard would be useful?

No, the motherboard memory cycle is the same.  The limit is the design of the
RAMSEY chip, which expects 80ns DRAM and nothing else (well, 90ns DRAM would
probably work just fine, but it's not a standard grade).  At 25Mhz, the next
step down would likely be 50-60ns DRAM, but the RAMSEY device does't know how
to adjust for faster memory.

The 68040 may, depending on its design, be able to take better advantage of
the static column memory in the system.  RAMSEY supports burst writes as well
as burst reads, though only burst reads are done by the 68030.  And while a
68040 bus is a bit easier to interface to than a 68030 bus, both processors
run the same minimum burst cycle at 25MHz; it's not like the 68040 can hit
memory any faster than the 68030 at the same clock speed.

>Tommy Petersson

      "That's me in the corner, that's me in the spotlight" -R.E.M.