[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Adding a second internal floppy

anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Brent James Anderson) (04/22/91)

I recently purchased an external Amiga 2.5" floppy drive real cheap used with hopes
that I could easily plop it into the second 3.5" bay of my Amiga 2000...

The drive within the "external-style" disk drive box was a Chinon built slightly
different than the existing internal Chinon but none-the-less it mounted flawlessly
to the empty drive plate...

After plugging in the power connector and ribbon cable, I powered up to find that
the newly installed drive was very confused.  It's LED light never turns off and
the drive maintains a constant slowly repeating "chug" sound as if it's trying
to do something???

When installing drives in an IBM drive a while back, I remember having to do things
like add resistor packs or change a few jumpers in order to configure the drive
as the end of the internal drive "chain".  Unfortunately, I have no instructions
to this effect on the Amiga... I can see a set of jumpers on the existing internal
Chinon right next to the ribbon cable header and there are also some jumpers within
the newly insterted Chinon.

My question:

Does anyone out there know exactly what it takes to make a newly installed (second)
internal floppy disk drive happy to be there??? (Dave H. are you there :)

-Beej

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (04/23/91)

In article <anderson.672316165@mrcnext> anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I recently purchased an external Amiga 2.5" floppy drive real cheap used with
>hopes that I could easily plop it into the second 3.5" bay of my Amiga
>2000...
[...]
>After plugging in the power connector and ribbon cable, I powered up to
>find that the newly installed drive was very confused.  It's LED light
>never turns off and the drive maintains a constant slowly repeating "chug"
>sound as if it's trying to do something???
>
>When installing drives in an IBM drive a while back, I remember having to
>do things like add resistor packs or change a few jumpers in order to
>configure the drive as the end of the internal drive "chain".
>Unfortunately, I have no instructions to this effect on the Amiga... I can
>see a set of jumpers on the existing internal Chinon right next to the
>ribbon cable header and there are also some jumpers within the newly
>insterted Chinon.
[...]
>Does anyone out there know exactly what it takes to make a newly installed
>(second) internal floppy disk drive happy to be there??? (Dave H. are you
>there :)

If the second drive's motor is constantly turning, it could be that you have
the cable plugged in upside-down.  Check that first.

There are no user-removable terminators on 3.5" drives, but you do have to
make sure the second drive is jumpered for SELECT-2 (i.e., the second drive),
and that a A2000 motherboard jumper (I don't remember the jumper number) is
set to enable the second drive.

Does the external drive have the motor latch built into the drive?  Or
did it have a little circuit card attached to the drive?  Remove it if
it does--you can't use it.  The A2000 has the motor latch circuit built
into the motherboard for the internal drives, and I know that some 720K
IBM AT-type drives (that support diskchange) plug right in.  If the drive
has the motor latch circuit built into the drive, I don't think it'll work.

P.S.  Could you keep your line length down to < 80 chars, please?

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Brent James Anderson) (04/23/91)

anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Brent James Anderson) writes:

>I recently purchased an external Amiga 2.5" floppy drive real cheap used with hopes
>that I could easily plop it into the second 3.5" bay of my Amiga 2000...

[general discription of problem type stuff deleted]

>My question:

>Does anyone out there know exactly what it takes to make a newly installed (second)
>internal floppy disk drive happy to be there??? (Dave H. are you there :)

>-Beej

My answer:

Thanks to the numerous responses I received via E*Mail I now have a second internal
floppy drive that I scavenged from a cheap used external floppy.   Below I describe
the necessary steps to alert your Ami to the changes you've made.  Save this in
your notes file or wherever.  Those of you that already knew... shame on you
for not speaking up! :)

1) I opted to change the original internal 3.5" floppy drive to df1: since the
jumpers to do so were easily located on the back of the drive.  The newly inserted
drive to not have the same set of jumpers so readily apparent.
With your Ami open, lean over the front of her, put your forhead on the power
supply cage and your mouth will hang over the drives... move the jumper on the
back of the existing drive one pin to your right like so:

Original          New
._. .             . ._.
. . .             . . .

This will make the original internal think that it is now df1:

2) There is a jumper just beneath the ribbon cable (for the floppy drives) just
as the ribbon comes out of the motherboard.  You must dig up your own jumper and
slide it down over the two "pins" here (this is jumper J301 next to connector
CN 303 as shown on page F-12 of the Amiga 2000 Schematics in the "Introduction
to the Commodore Amiga 2000" book that everyone gets with their Ami).

That's it.  Now I just have to figure one last 'problem' out:

Whenever one drive is accessed, both drive lights come on.  The one actually being
accessed flashes on and off as normal but the second stays continually lit until
the one actually being accessed is completely finished.  I will try swaping the
ribbon cable headers first and will followup as soon as I find the solution (or
the lack thereof :)

Thanks everyone, Amiga Land is great :)

-Beej

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) writes:

>Does the external drive have the motor latch built into the drive?  Or
>did it have a little circuit card attached to the drive?  Remove it if
>it does--you can't use it.  The A2000 has the motor latch circuit built
>into the motherboard for the internal drives, and I know that some 720K
>IBM AT-type drives (that support diskchange) plug right in.  If the drive
>has the motor latch circuit built into the drive, I don't think it'll work.

I guess I got lucky... the drives are working in harmony now.

>P.S.  Could you keep your line length down to < 80 chars, please?

Sorry, I'm on an overscan screen and it's hard to tell just where 80 is.

-Beej

anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Brent James Anderson) (04/23/91)

anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Brent James Anderson) writes:

>That's it.  Now I just have to figure one last 'problem' out:

>Whenever one drive is accessed, both drive lights come on.  The one actually being
>accessed flashes on and off as normal but the second stays continually lit until
>the one actually being accessed is completely finished.  I will try swaping the
>ribbon cable headers first and will followup as soon as I find the solution (or
>the lack thereof :)

In conclusion:

If you have the afforementioned problem after you get all the jumpers set it is
most likely that your cables are "flipped".

It appears that df1: (the original internal drive in my case) needs to have the
"pass-through" ribbon connector and df0: (the newly installed drive) needs the
ribbon connector at the end of the cable (the one with two of the wires flipped).

BTW: Make sure that you get the connectors onto the drives correctly as well.  Most
     drive ribbon cables that I've seen have a red strip on one end.  This is to
     denote the wire that "belongs" to pin one on the drive connector.  My drive's
     pins weren't numbered so I had to guess but doing it wrong a couple times
     didn't appear to damamge anything.

Now that I've done this, the drives function _exactly_ as expected.  This is
great, I wish all solutions could be found in a day :-)

That's it,
-Beej

dbscoop2@bwdlh417.BNR.CA (Las Lovas) (04/25/91)

There is a jumper right beside the floppy drive connector on the mother
board which must be shorted.  (where the floppy ribbon cable attaches to
the motherboard).  This tells the system to automagically mount your
internal floppy.