[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] SunMouse M4 hack wanted

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (04/25/91)

I've accidentally deleted my copy of the mods to the Sun optical mouse (I
believe it's a Mouse Systems M4 mouse). Does someone have it handy?

--hal

--
hgm@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu             "Do you dream in color?
netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet             Do you dream at all?"

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/25/91)

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) writes:
>I've accidentally deleted my copy of the mods to the Sun optical mouse (I
>believe it's a Mouse Systems M4 mouse). Does someone have it handy?

The hardware hack is for the M3 only. I've disassembled the M4 in both
the serial (Sun) and Amiga (Boing!) incarnations, and they have
completely different circuit boards, including different MSC branded
IC's.

The only rational way to get an M4 serial mouse to work on the Amiga is
through the serial port with the OptMouse driver.

Here's the M3 hack in case it's any use:

NOTE: This file describes how to modify a Mouse Systems M3 serial mouse
so that it will directly replace the normal Amiga mouse.  Although this
requires a little tinkering with the mouse, I think it is preferable
because
it it TOTALLY compatible with ALL software and does not tie up a serial
port.
Of course, I discovered this AFTER writing the OptMouse serial mouse
program.

Ed Hanway
149 Scotch Pine Dr.
Rochester, NY 14616

Inside my Mouse Systems M3 serial mouse is a row of 10 holes with pin 1
closer to the center of the mouse. Wired as follows, it works perfectly
on my Amiga:

        Mouse   Amiga
          1 ----- 9
          2 ----- 5
          3 ----- 6
          4 ----- 1
          5 ----- 3
          6 ----- 4
          7 ----- 8
          8 ----- 7
          9 ----- 2
         10 NC

All you need is a length of nine-conductor wire, a DB-9S connector, and
minimal soldering skills and you're set.

This probably doesn't apply to other Mouse Systems mice, like the M2 and M4,
and may not even be true for other revisions of the M3. Be warned.

And for old timers, here's an M2 hack:

From: billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.hardware
Subject: M2 success!
Date: 6 Mar 90 04:48:12 GMT

        Well, I finally got my old Mouse Systems M2 mouse working! It turned
out to be simper than I thought. The mouse I had was an OEMed version that
supported serial only. There was a missing IC, two missing resistor packs
and a missing connector (ten pin) on the little board inside.
        The IC turned out to be a simple inverter, used to switch between
button up and button down on the three buttons. I put a 74HC14 in. The two
resistor networks were both pullups, with each resistor pulling up one of
the signal lines. I used 10K SIPs there. The ten pin connector was the only
tough part, and a little logic (and trial/error) got me through it. The
buttons were easy, the +5V and GND were easy, and that only left the four
direction lines. A little trial and error found them out...
The pinouts of the ten pin connector are:

        1       N/C
        2       Horizontal Pulse
        3       +5V
        4       Vertical Pulse
        5       Button #1 (Left)
        6       Vertical Quadrature
        7       Horizontal Quadrature
        8       Button #2 (Center)
        9       Button #3 (Right)
        10      Ground

I used about 18 inches of flat ribbon cable to go to the Amiga, with a big
glob of hot glue to give me something to hang onto when unplugging the thing.
And it all works like a charm!
                Bill

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home

Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com                               BIX: blaine_g
DoD #46           My other motorcycle is a Quadracer.            FJ1200