[net.space] SPACE Digest V5 #250

@S1-A.ARPA,@MIT-MC.ARPA:Michael_M_Cashen.SBDERX@Xerox.ARPA (09/25/85)

From: CASHEN.SBDERX@xerox.arpa

ref:
Date: 22 Sep 85 21:00:47 EDT
From: Charles.Fineman@CMU-CS-SPICE
Subject: Re:re: SPACE Digest V5 #247
To: BBoard.Maintainer@CMU-CS-A

As I understand it. Time in a relative universe is RELATIVE to some for
of
periodic motion (e.g. the swinging of a pendulum or the frequency of
light
emited from a resonating atom). Since biological clocks are based on
metabolism, insects probably do live in a speeded up time frame. Of
course
this has nothing to do with a time frame in Einstien's sense of the
term.

	~Charlie

Dear Charlie,
            I am not satisfied by your answer. Does Einstein not explain
the paradox's of his special theory etc. in terms of arbitrary observers
in which events are relative to them alone. This observation is
indepedent of their metabolic rate or biological clock. Just as Einstein
hypothesised the ability of a person to reach the speed of light, I too
hypothesis the ability of a person to grow to an infinite size. I am
therefore asking the question, if we are able to pass through different
time zones by approaching the speed of light, does this also apply to
increases in size? Is time therefore, variable in many dimensions some
of which we have no concept of?

          Mike