[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Quantum 105S question

martin@sunc6.cs.uiuc.edu (RoCCo mArtIn) (04/16/91)

Hi, hope you can help!

    I just installed a Quantum 105S (lucky me!) on my 2000HD, but don't
know what to do about the Inner Zone.  I have two partitions (and the
RES2: device) on the outer zone which has 35 sectors/track.  I also have a
partition that takes up all of the inner zone, which has 28 sectors/track.
The problem is that AmigaDos won't let me format this partition, presumably
because the corresponding RES drive is listed at 35 sectors/track.
   Please don't tell me that I can't use the last 20Meg of my hard disk!!!
What can I do to get AmigaDos to accept this black sheep as one of the
family?

					Thanks,
					- Rocco

P.S. If it matters, I have a 2090a controller, and have the Quantum set to
be SCSI device 0.

--
Name:           Rocco Martin                                            |
Internet:       martin@cs.uiuc.edu, or roccom@tahoe.unr.edu           --+--

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/17/91)

In article <280A74F5.599C@ibma0.cs.uiuc.edu>, martin@sunc6.cs.uiuc.edu (RoCCo mArtIn) writes:
> Hi, hope you can help!
>
>     I just installed a Quantum 105S (lucky me!) on my 2000HD, but don't
> know what to do about the Inner Zone.  I have two partitions (and the
> RES2: device) on the outer zone which has 35 sectors/track.  I also have a
> partition that takes up all of the inner zone, which has 28 sectors/track.
> The problem is that AmigaDos won't let me format this partition, presumably
> because the corresponding RES drive is listed at 35 sectors/track.
>    Please don't tell me that I can't use the last 20Meg of my hard disk!!!
> What can I do to get AmigaDos to accept this black sheep as one of the
> family?

*Ignore* the zones and the physical architechure of the disk.
AmigaDOS doesn't really pay any attention to the BlocksPerTrack etc.
All AmigaDOS does is say if disk A has 100 tracks, 3 surfaces, and 10
blocks per track than the disk has 100*3*10 or 3000 blocks.  Whenever
AmigaDOS accesses a disk, it simply requests a logical block(s) from the drive.

Sooo.  Just pick some numbers that multiply out to be close to the
total capacity of the drive (but never go over of course).  For the
RES0 parition, just make sure that there is enough space to hold the
RDB structures and FileSystem code, 50K is usually plenty, esp.
since 2.0 wont need FFS on disk.  The typical default gives about 64K
which is more than enough.

So, if you dont' want to re-format/prep the drive, just address the
remaining cylinders of the drive as if they were 35 blocks per track
and scale down the number of tracks.  For an examples, 20 MB at 28
sectors per tract with 3 surfaces is about 240 cyls.  For this
example, 240 cyls * 3 surfs * 28 bpt = 20,160 blocks.  20,160 blocks /
3 surfs / 35 bpt = 192 cyls, so say the rest of the disk is 192 cyls.
(Obviously substitue the correct #s, and round down on the cyls).

> 					Thanks,
> 					- Rocco
>
> P.S. If it matters, I have a 2090a controller, and have the Quantum set to
> be SCSI device 0.

No this doesn't matter.  This may sound kludgy, but is the only way
with most devices, and works fine.  SCSI devices can be adressed
physically or logically, but the Amiga always just uses a logical
block #.

Now a question of mine, do the Quantum ProDrives come up with the
Cache on by default, or does the driver have to send a mode command to
turn it on, and...if the driver does have to enable it, then which
drivers do this?  From the results I've gotten with DiskPerf and my
Supra WordSync the cache seems to be on.

> --
> Name:           Rocco Martin                                            |
> Internet:       martin@cs.uiuc.edu, or roccom@tahoe.unr.edu           --+--
> Witty saying:   You can pick your nose, you can pick your friends,      |
>                 but you can't wipe off your friends behind the couch... |
Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  mgooderum	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

In article <1991Apr16.162914.29758@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>No this doesn't matter.  This may sound kludgy, but is the only way
>with most devices, and works fine.  SCSI devices can be adressed
>physically or logically, but the Amiga always just uses a logical
>block #.

	Actually, you can only address SCSI drives by logical block number.

>Now a question of mine, do the Quantum ProDrives come up with the
>Cache on by default, or does the driver have to send a mode command to
>turn it on, and...if the driver does have to enable it, then which
>drivers do this?  From the results I've gotten with DiskPerf and my
>Supra WordSync the cache seems to be on.

	Quantums come from the factory with caching enabled.  It is possible
to turn it off and save this setting if you don't want caching.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)