[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] ERRORS on scsi drive!

paulc@hpsad.HP.COM (Paul Christensen X3073) (04/17/91)

I have a large ( 700Mbyte ) scsi hard drive hooked up to
my amiga 3000. Funny - If the slightest thing goes wrong - ie. a guru
- my harddrive will develop errors. Once I got a 'unvalidated disk' error.
Another time, the system would just crash.

Is this normal Amiga behavour? I expect that the system would not eat
my harddisk, even  if it had a software error while writing to the disk. It
should ( i would expect ) give me an error concerning that file that was
being written to, but not a complete partition error!

Is there a magic solution for the unvalidatable error? Or is there a way to
add layers of 'safety' to my data? Do others have this problem?

Thanks, all

Paulc
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| A3000 -  The computer for the Future and Beyond....         |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|
| paulc@hpsad.hp.com         |   I used to have an atari!     |
|-------------------------------------------------------------|

In article <12870003@hpsad.HP.COM> paulc@hpsad.HP.COM (Paul Christensen X3073) writes:
>I have a large ( 700Mbyte ) scsi hard drive hooked up to
>my amiga 3000. Funny - If the slightest thing goes wrong - ie. a guru
>- my harddrive will develop errors. Once I got a 'unvalidated disk' error.
>Another time, the system would just crash.
>
>Is this normal Amiga behavour? I expect that the system would not eat
>my harddisk, even  if it had a software error while writing to the disk. It
>should ( i would expect ) give me an error concerning that file that was
>being written to, but not a complete partition error!

	Well, any crash when writing to disk can skrag the partition (or
rather the partition won't validate - all the rest of the info will be
readable, except the file _or_ directory being written to.  It is possible
to lose the entire partition if you crash in the middle of a write to the
root block, but very unlikely.)  Note these are not bad block errors, they're
"something in the FS points to a garbage sector" errors.  Disksalv and even
diskdoctor can repair or restore things like this to some degree.  There's a
close to 100% way: I can edit filesystems (with disked) live.  Send plane &
hotel tickets, plus a fully-paid 2-week vacation in the bahamas, and I'll come
and fix your disk.  (That's a joke, guys/gals...)

>Is there a magic solution for the unvalidatable error? Or is there a way to
>add layers of 'safety' to my data? Do others have this problem?

	Avoid broken programs while writing to disk.  1/2 :-)

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)