[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] Spice on A3000

rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) (04/21/91)

I believe I havethe latest version of Spice for the amiga, but it always
crashes on my 3000. It worked fine for my 2000. One of the reasons I got
a 3000 was forthe extra speed for things like Spice.
  Does anyone know of a version that works on the A3000?
  Or will there be a release for the faster processors?

In article <1991Apr20.224647.20242@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rrmorris@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Rodney Raym Morrison) writes:

>I believe I havethe latest version of Spice for the amiga, but it always
>crashes on my 3000. It worked fine for my 2000. One of the reasons I got
>a 3000 was forthe extra speed for things like Spice.
>  Does anyone know of a version that works on the A3000?
>  Or will there be a release for the faster processors?

	Common causes of things like this are a) using the high byte of the
address for flags (big no-no, GNU emacs does this), b) writing 81 bytes
including null into an 80 byte string (with <16M address space, the 0 usually
overwrites a 0-byte in a pointer.  'Less' had this problem, overwriting a
return address on A3000's.)

	There are others, but those are the biggies for non-game software.
Tools like 'enforcer' are good at catching these problems (though munged
pointers require some expertise to track down).

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)