[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] power supply bad?

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/27/91)

  I have to make this quick...

  My hard disk (3 days old) is spinning constantly. LED comes on only when
accessed (as it should). It heatsup very quickly, along with 68000 and
the power supply. I never heard my hard disk make a noise until 10 minutes
ago. Coulkd it be the power supply isn't strong enough?

Thanks.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

In article <1991Apr27.043711.15468@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  I have to make this quick...
>
>  My hard disk (3 days old) is spinning constantly. LED comes on only when
>accessed (as it should). It heatsup very quickly, along with 68000 and
>the power supply. I never heard my hard disk make a noise until 10 minutes
>ago. Coulkd it be the power supply isn't strong enough?
>
>Thanks.
>

>--
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce

  Okay, I removed the hard disk and disabled all of the ram. More info:

  1) The IDE controller pushes the 68000 high enough that it touches the
     keyboard of my a500.

  2) I get lots of task-held errors when my ADDMEM command is executed.

  3) I get lots of GURUs every day, although sometimes not for a few days.

  4) 68000 heats up a lot, but not too hot to touch. Same as the power supply
     and the new hard drive (68000 is the hottest). Also, GARY gets a little
     warm and those two big blue 'skyscraper' capacitor things around the
     DENISE area get really hot in the metal tops. Sometimes the power supply
     makes a hissing or click noise. The monitor hisses also, and when I
     press both mouse buttons it makes a 'pop' noise.

  5) I have no df0: hooked up when my hard drive is in, but do occassionally
     use an a1010 df1: when I need to put files on my hard disk (not often).

  6) I have a Baseboard ram expander with two megs on it, for a grand total
     of 2.5 megs ram.

  7) Everything is plugged into a spike protector.

  8) I also have a fan to cool the monitor, but I just recently moved it in
     position for the power supply (30 minutes ago).

  9) Hard drive whirrs constantly, and it hasn't done that before. I can
    also hear it click as it accesses the platter, which I never heard before
    either. I found it to be extremely silent when I first installed it (I
    wasn't sure whether it was even running or not).

 10) Power for the hard drive is from the power I used to use for df0:.

 11) It is a TEAC SD-340 IDE hard drive, using AdIDE 40 hard drive controller,
     in an Amiga 500.

  I will call the dealer as soon as possible, and I am sure he will say that
it is supposed to spin constantly and make lots of noise.

  PLEASE HELP!

--

blgardne@javelin.sim.es.com (Blaine Gardner) (04/27/91)

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>In article <1991Apr27.043711.15468@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:
>>  I have to make this quick...

Ok, but don't make it so quick that we don't have any information to
work with.

>>  My hard disk (3 days old) is spinning constantly. LED comes on only when
>>accessed (as it should). It heatsup very quickly, along with 68000 and
>>the power supply. I never heard my hard disk make a noise until 10 minutes
>>ago. Coulkd it be the power supply isn't strong enough?

What computer, what additional hardware, what power supply?

>  6) I have a Baseboard ram expander with two megs on it, for a grand total
>     of 2.5 megs ram.

> 10) Power for the hard drive is from the power I used to use for df0:.

> 11) It is a TEAC SD-340 IDE hard drive, using AdIDE 40 hard drive controller,
>     in an Amiga 500.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. Let's see if I've got everything. You have:

An A500
A 2.5 megabyte internal RAM expansion
An internal hard drive and controller
One (?) floppy drive
No (?) other expansion devices attached to the A500
The stock (?) power supply

Anything I missed?

If I have this even close to right, you DO have a power supply problem,
and are close to damaging a lot of expensive hardware. Shut everything
off, and LEAVE IT OFF, until you can test all the voltages with a
multimeter, or have someone do it for you.

The problem (assuming you've got the stock power supply) is that you've
exceeded the capacity of the power supply by a huge margin. The stock
A500 supply will only run 2 floppies, and a total of 1M of RAM (512K
on the motherboard + the A501). This configuration leaves you only
300 mA of +5V and 50 mA of +12V available for expansion devices.
Any expansion device other than a ROM cartridge REQUIRES its own power
supply. Both RAM and hard drives are power hogs, running one alone
pushes the power supply over its specs, running both is a guaranteed
failure.

There are two ways to fix your problem. First, buy a huge (200 watt or
so) power supply and replace the stock supply. That will get things
working most likely, but you will still be drawing high currents through
the motherboard to power the RAM and HD. The motherboard was not
designed for this, so you may have long-term reliability problems.
Second, supply power to each individual expansion device. This will
avoid heavy loads on the motherboard power buses, but may be impossible
due to the design of the expansion devices.

Good luck with it.

Soapbox mode on:
Personally I think that any hardware vendor that sells unpowered expansion
devices for the A500 should have IC legs pushed under their fingernails,
followed by a shot of flux stripper.
Soapbox mode off:
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108