[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] I have no floppy drives

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/26/91)

  I recently installed an IDE hard drive with the AdIDE controller, in an
Amiga 500 (AdIDE 40). I removed the internal floppy and do not use it. I
placed in the hard drive, and connected the floppy power cable. I then used
an external df1: to create my hard drive. I then disconnected df1: because
I do not need it (and it isn't mine).

  I would like to keep my df0: internal drive atop my A500 in case I need
it some day. I still have the floppy interface free, but need a splitter
for the power cable (such as an a2000/a3000). Where can I get the power
splitter for the floppy and hard drive?

  Second, my AMAX does not boot, and I think it is because df0: is missing.
I will be able to make the AMAX partition with a friend's amiga, but only
if I am sure I can do it without a floppy drive.

  Last of all, I heard that there is a 'shuffleboard' that makes the computer
think that the first external drive is called df0:.

  Thanks a meg!

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

guy@ns.network.com (Guy D'Andrea) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.052838.12878@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  I recently installed an IDE hard drive with the AdIDE controller, in an
>Amiga 500 (AdIDE 40). I removed the internal floppy and do not use it. I
>placed in the hard drive, and connected the floppy power cable. I then used
>an external df1: to create my hard drive. I then disconnected df1: because
>I do not need it (and it isn't mine).
>
>  I would like to keep my df0: internal drive atop my A500 in case I need
>it some day. I still have the floppy interface free, but need a splitter
>for the power cable (such as an a2000/a3000). Where can I get the power
>splitter for the floppy and hard drive?

Sorry can't help you here...

>  Second, my AMAX does not boot, and I think it is because df0: is missing.
>I will be able to make the AMAX partition with a friend's amiga, but only
>if I am sure I can do it without a floppy drive.
>
>  Last of all, I heard that there is a 'shuffleboard' that makes the computer
>think that the first external drive is called df0:.
>
>  Thanks a meg!
>

>--
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

Well I have a 2000 but did modify it myself so that my external drive is
df1: not the usual df2:.  I just traced back the DF1_SEL line in the
schematics.  I then lifted the pins out of the socket and ran a little
bit of wire to swap DF1_SEL and DF2_SEL in to the socket.  This has worked
great for about 9 months now.  I would expect the layout of the 500 is simular
enough to do what you want...  Anyone?

--
 Guy Dandrea, Network Systems Corp.                       //
 guy@nsco.network.com #129.191.1.1                    \\ //

cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.052838.12878@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  Second, my AMAX does not boot, and I think it is because df0: is missing.

It is definately because your DF0: is missing.

>I will be able to make the AMAX partition with a friend's amiga, but only
>if I am sure I can do it without a floppy drive.

It still hangs, even with a hard drive partition.

>--
>    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
>           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)
>
>                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

matt.