[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] A2091 conclusions

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (03/16/91)

Well, I have twice posted a letter stating that I am still having troubles
with multiple Quantum drives on my all CBM equipted A2500, with reselection
turned off on all drives, and proper termination.  I have the "A" WD chip and
rev 5.92 ROMS.  I only asked if any of the CBM engineers thought I should
upgrade to the now available 6.1 ROMS, and if anyone is actively working on
this problem.  If no one is I only want to know who I should write to, as none
of the letters that myself and others have written have ever been replied to.

No one responded to my letter.  Dave Hayne (very kindly) even responded to
another post I made at the same time, but did not see or choose not to
respond to the A2091 post twice.  I view this as bad news for me....

At one point CBM Engineers routinly discused the problem and often
suggested that reselection be turned off (which it definately is on my two
quantum drives).  Now no CBM Engineer seems willing to utter the word
A2091, does this mean "something is in the works don't bug us" or does it
mean "trade in for a GVP"?  The vibes I am getting suggest the later.

The real trouble here (besied my own...) is that the dealer I work for,
like many dealers is stuck between a rock and a hard place.  We want to
make a profit selling HarDrives but we are afaid to sell to A2091 owners.
We need to sell $X in CBM product per year, but we have to sell A2000 w/
GVP HD controllers and either GVP or CBM acceleraters instead of A2000HD's
or A2500's.  Customers who do own A2091's are taking there buisness
elsewhere since they see us as being unresponsive to their problems.

All I really want is to know where I stand and what I should do, I am not
looking for any promises or free fixes!

-Jason-

Jason Goldberg				UUCP: ucsd!serene!cbmami!jason
Del Mar, CA

greg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Gregory R. TRAVIS) (03/21/91)

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) writes:

>Well, I have twice posted a letter stating that I am still having troubles
>with multiple Quantum drives on my all CBM equipted A2500, with reselection
>turned off on all drives, and proper termination.  I have the "A" WD chip and
>rev 5.92 ROMS.  I only asked if any of the CBM engineers thought I should
>upgrade to the now available 6.1 ROMS, and if anyone is actively working on
>this problem.  If no one is I only want to know who I should write to, as none
>of the letters that myself and others have written have ever been replied to.

Jason (and others),

The A2091 with the 5.92 ROMS and WD "A" SCSI chip will not handle multiple
SCSI drives reliably.  The symptoms are, as you stated, intermittent
lockups which require a reboot.  Turning off reselection will NOT fix
the problem and DOES cause a significant performance hit.  Of course you
won't notice the performance hit if you DO turn off reselection because you
still won't be able to use more than one drive.  *sigh*

CBM has supposedly been working on this problem.  ROM version 6.6
is reputed to fix all the A2091 problems.  It is not available
at this time and no one seems to know when it will become available
to regular users.  There also seems to be a question as to who will have
to pay for the ROMs - CBM or the end user.  My A2091 just went out of
warranty this month and I've had the problem for (now) over a year.

--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.indiana.edu  		 Center for Innovative Computer Applications

In article <18d500f6.ARN0f22@cbmami.UUCP> jason@cbmami.UUCP writes:
>At one point CBM Engineers routinly discused the problem and often
>suggested that reselection be turned off (which it definately is on my two
>quantum drives).  Now no CBM Engineer seems willing to utter the word
>A2091, does this mean "something is in the works don't bug us" or does it
>mean "trade in for a GVP"?  The vibes I am getting suggest the later.

	I've been busy, and got to this group for the first time in a month
or more (as you can see by the string of postings this follows... :-)
The former is more accurate (you can start holding your breath).

>All I really want is to know where I stand and what I should do, I am not
>looking for any promises or free fixes!

	Understood.  I'm trying to be of help, and have been a champion of
all of your causes when possible.  You should see results RRSN.  Sorry, I
really can't say more yet. (and as usual, read my disclaimer)

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is in anything other than my personal opinion.
Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
(From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

jason@cbmami.UUCP (Jason Goldberg) (04/02/91)

In article <20252@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Randell Jesup writes:

> 	Understood.  I'm trying to be of help, and have been a champion of
> all of your causes when possible.  You should see results RRSN.  Sorry, I
> really can't say more yet. (and as usual, read my disclaimer)
>
> --
> Randell Jesup, Keeper of AmigaDos, Commodore Engineering.
> {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
> Disclaimer: Nothing I say is in anything other than my personal opinion.
> Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
> is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
> (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

Bless, you Randell!  That is all I had hoped to hear (I would have even
been happy to hear "don't hold your breath" :-).  Just wanted to know that
something was or wasn't being done.  I think I speak for many
people when I say "Thank you for all the free help and support you guys
have allways given us!"

Have a good one,

cole@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (04/10/91)

In article <20252@cbmvax.commodore.com>, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
> In article <18d500f6.ARN0f22@cbmami.UUCP> jason@cbmami.UUCP writes:
>>At one point CBM Engineers routinly discused the problem and often
>>suggested that reselection be turned off (which it definately is on my two
>>quantum drives).  Now no CBM Engineer seems willing to utter the word
>>A2091, does this mean "something is in the works don't bug us" or does it
>>mean "trade in for a GVP"?  The vibes I am getting suggest the later.
>
> 	I've been busy, and got to this group for the first time in a month
> or more (as you can see by the string of postings this follows... :-)
> The former is more accurate (you can start holding your breath).
>
>>All I really want is to know where I stand and what I should do, I am not
>>looking for any promises or free fixes!
>
> 	Understood.  I'm trying to be of help, and have been a champion of
> all of your causes when possible.  You should see results RRSN.  Sorry, I
> really can't say more yet. (and as usual, read my disclaimer)
>
> --
> Randell Jesup, Keeper of AmigaDos, Commodore Engineering.
> {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
> Disclaimer: Nothing I say is in anything other than my personal opinion.
> Thus spake the Master Ninjei: "To program a million-line operating system
> is easy, to change a man's temperament is more difficult."
> (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)

Dear sir,
  Is there any way in hell you could be more vague about your answer to
the previous question?

				sincerely,
				  another A2091 owner
				  Thomas Cole

In article <1991Apr10.123648.29592@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> cole@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>In article <20252@cbmvax.commodore.com>, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell Jesup) writes:
>> 	Understood.  I'm trying to be of help, and have been a champion of
>> all of your causes when possible.  You should see results RRSN.  Sorry, I
>> really can't say more yet. (and as usual, read my disclaimer)

>Dear sir,
>  Is there any way in hell you could be more vague about your answer to
>the previous question?

	No, I'm sorry, I've tried but I can't be any vaguer.  You know, being
vague is an artform, and I'm afraid the experts all get jobs as spokesmen.
Poor engineers like me try our best, but I'm afraid we can't always meet
their quality levels for vagueness.

	;-)

	More seriously, if you saw the length of the warning notice I see
each time I post, ending with "imagine you have a ... senior executive on one
side and the legal department on the other...", you'd understand.  People
have lost jobs at this company and many others for saying things they
shouldn't on the nets.  Personally, I'd like to keep mine.

	As you can see from a posting I made a few hours ago, my ability to
remain vague suffered a momentary lapse... ;-)

If you believe this is an official posting in any way, I have some prime
real estate in northern Iraq for sale...

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
Disclaimer: Nothing I say is anything other than my personal opinion.

valentin@public.BTR.COM (Valentin Pepelea) (04/28/91)

In article <20988@cbmvax.commodore.com> jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com (Randell
Jesup) writes:

>	No, I'm sorry, I've tried but I can't be any vaguer.  You know, being
>vague is an artform, and I'm afraid the experts all get jobs as spokesmen.
>Poor engineers like me try our best, but I'm afraid we can't always meet
>their quality levels for vagueness.
>
>	;-)

No, no, no. you're missing the point, Randell. You achieve the supreme level
of spokesman when you master the ability of saying something that is understood
in one way by the public, when in fact it means another. For example, if you
want to say

"This (product) is a piece of shit, and it stinks!"

as a cultured engineer you would probably say

"This is a piece of fertilizer, and no one can abide by its stench."

But a high ranking monk accepted into the order of spokesmen would say

"This is that which makes things grow and flurish, and no one can abide by it."

You will know that you have mastered this technique when your boss comes into
your office and chastizes you for giving out faulty information, when in fact
you were right on the mark.  :-)

Valentin
--
"An operating system without virtual memory      Name:      Valentin Pepelea
 is an operating system without virtue."         Phone:     (408) 985-1700