[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 1.52MB drive

terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) (04/03/91)

Does anyone know anything about the new 1.52 MB disc drive ?
Is it able to read and write the 1.44 MB msdos disks ?
I've heard that it is able to read and write machintosh disks, and that
is a lot harder than the msdos stuff, so the answer should be yes.
Has anyone bought it ? if so what is the verdict ?
(buy it as fast as you can ? yes?..:-)

Terje P.

In article <1991Apr3.134537.28374@mack.uit.no> terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about the new 1.52 MB disc drive ?
>Is it able to read and write the 1.44 MB msdos disks ?

Yes, a colleague tried CrossDos successfully.

>I've heard that it is able to read and write machintosh disks, and that
>is a lot harder than the msdos stuff, so the answer should be yes.

I doubt that strongly. The drive only knows two speeds, full and half,
but as far as I know you need other speeds for Mac disks?

>Has anyone bought it ? if so what is the verdict ?

"Not yet", I think :-)

terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) (04/10/91)

Doesn't anyone know anything about the new 1.52 MB disc drive to Amiga ?
I thought that such a drive would be the first thing any Amiga owner would want to
buy, even before a hard disc. Even with a hard disc you are bound to have a bunch of disks. (unless you have a 1.2 GB drive...and who does.?)

TP

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.154645.10484@mack.uit.no- terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) writes:
-Doesn't anyone know anything about the new 1.52 MB disc drive to Amiga ?
-I thought that such a drive would be the first thing any Amiga owner would want to
-buy, even before a hard disc. Even with a hard disc you are bound to have a bunch of disks. (unless you have a 1.2 GB drive...and who does.?)
-
-TP

Since the 1.2GB drives only are 1GB formatted, even people with those
have to keep some discs, too. And it takes about 600 discs for a full backup...

Commodore's disc drive works by halving the speed and doubling the data
storage, so it's more than 1.52MB on the discs. I don't know if they need
a new Paula, but it will be possible to upgrade old (how old?) machines.

The first drives will inevitabely go into the new 3000T's and 3000's, and
upgrades will be available later.

The "dont-hold-me-to-it" guesstimated release date for 3000T (by Commodore)
is this summer.

TP (yes, me too)
tope@enea.se

val@netw23.uucp (Oberon Kenobi) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr10.154645.10484@mack.uit.no>, terjepe@stud.cs.uit.no (Terje Pedersen) writes:
> Doesn't anyone know anything about the new 1.52 MB disc drive to Amiga ? I
> thought that such a drive would be the first thing any Amiga owner would want
> to buy, even before a hard disc. Even with a hard disc you are bound to have
> a bunch of disks. (unless you have a 1.2 GB drive...and who does.?)
>
> TP

     There is a 2.88MB SCSI disk drive available as a NeXT peripheral.  Since
it's SCSI, it can be used on an Amiga.  Unfortunately, it's price is about
$500, so I'd rather get a Syquest 44MB drive.

| "vi?  Because I don't have a real editor." -- U*x user | val@csulx.weber.edu |

metahawk@itsgw.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.012904.7282@marlin.jcu.edu.au> cpmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au (Matthew W Crowd) writes:

>There is a 2.88MB drive for the IBM PC as well, probably the same drive?
>
>matt.

The 2.88MB format (IBM at least) is for HD 3.5 inch floppies.  So now IBM's
will have five different floppy formats to worry about:
          5.25 SD
          5.25 HD
          3.5 DD
          3.5 1.44MB HD
          3.5 2.88MB HD

Mac's 2.88MB equivalent will be coming out soon (this is the rumor).
Commodore's just coming out with their 1.44 meg equiv. (1.72MB), so they're
just a little behind, but they've never been miracle makers with floppy drives.

                                   Wayne Rigby
                                   Computer and Systems Engineer (in training)
                                   Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
                                   metahawk@rpi.edu

hgm@ccvr1.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (04/25/91)

Followers of this thread might be interested in the Teac high density SCSI
drive thread in comp.sys.atari.st.

In a nutshell, it is a 2.88 meg drive that has a read/write speed
approximately 4 times a 720k floppy. Price for the drive is in the
neighborhood of $190.00, putting in the same realm as the AE High Density
drive, with almost twice the storage.

Please don't pester Jack Wine, the poster of the intial message and the
summary. I've talked to him, and it's been determined that a "mass buying"
isn't really needed.

Would it be a simple as generating a mountlist entry, hooking the drive up,
and go? I know about the Insite floptical drive, but quantity on them isn't
expected to late fall (if that early). This appears to be a nice interim
technology, ideal for backups. Hmmm, I wonder if it could be coaxed to read
other high density formats (IBM, Next, Mac)?

--hal

--
hgm@ccvr1.cc.ncsu.edu   "Fashion is fascism with a neat haircut."
netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet

In article <srtggdh@rpi.edu> metahawk@itsgw.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) writes:

>Commodore's just coming out with their 1.44 meg equiv. (1.72MB), so they're
>just a little behind, but they've never been miracle makers with floppy drives.

Huh, sorry to disagree. I still use the 8250 (not the CIA, the floppy drive)
of my CBM 8296-D, which stores 1 MB on a DD diskette much more reliably
than current HD PC drives. I call this a miracle and am still wondering
why this superior technology couldn't make it up today.

metahawk@itsgw.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (04/28/91)

In article <1167@cbmger.UUCP> peterk@cbmger.UUCP (Peter Kittel GERMANY) writes:

>Huh, sorry to disagree. I still use the 8250 (not the CIA, the floppy drive)
>of my CBM 8296-D, which stores 1 MB on a DD diskette much more reliably
>than current HD PC drives. I call this a miracle and am still wondering
>why this superior technology couldn't make it up today.
>
>--
>Best regards, Dr. Peter Kittel  // E-Mail to  \\  Only my personal opinions...
>Commodore Frankfurt, Germany  \X/ {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmger!peterk

Wow!  OK, so when can we expect a 3.5 inch super HD floppy drive that stores
approximately 10 Megs?  They don't make SHD floppies?  That's no excuse. :)

You know, I have this LED calculator built by Commodore during its early days;
it still works.