[comp.sys.amiga.hardware] 040 Boards

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (01/25/91)

  Since it is possible to have both the 040 and the 030 running at
the same time, would it be possible to make an 040 board that has
an expansion slot for the addition of more 040 boards all running
together?  And if so, any chance of one being put out in the near
future?

Rick

In article <15988@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) writes:

>  Since it is possible to have both the 040 and the 030 running at
>the same time, would it be possible to make an 040 board that has
>an expansion slot for the addition of more 040 boards all running
>together?

Sounds like a good idea, but you would be extremely hard pressed to fit more
than a 68040, interface logic, and your choice of RAM, Cache, or possibly
a Yet Undefined Goody (like the PP&S compression chip) in the relatively tight
space allocated for a coprocessor board.

If you want to think in more general multiprocessing terms, you could
theoretically build Zorro III boards with multiple processors on them.  The
Zorro III bus doesn't currently have any hardware cache consistency protocol,
but it does provide for bus locking and other things you would need in a
multiprocessor environment.  The real trick is software.

The main reasons for the Coprocessor Slot:

	[a] A Coprocessor Slot device can completely take over the Amiga
	    system itself, without any special software.  A Zorro III device
	    would at the very least need the main CPU to handle interrupts.
	[b] A Coprocessor Slot device can be very tightly coupled to the A3000
	    motherboard.  So it's generally more efficient than a Zorro III
	    device.  But don't expect it to plug into your A4000 or whatever
	    new thing comes along someday, whereas the Zorro III board would
	    travel just fine to a more advanced 32 bit Amiga system.

>Rick

	"What works for me might work for you"	-Jimmy Buffett

awm@world.std.com (Andrew W MacDonald) (04/26/91)

I was wondering if anyone has seen/played with any 68040 accelerator boards for
the A3000.  I know that Progressive was supposed to release one in mid-March,
and I have heard rumors that GVP and Commodore had boards in the works.

I be thankful for any information netlanders have on 040 board features,
availability, pricing, (schematics :-).  Thanks in advance.

Andy MacDonald
(awm@world.std.com)

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (04/28/91)

[]
I called Progressive, they seemed furthest along on 040 board
development, and they told me sometime in July was the expected
release date.  Maybe late June/

for the A3000 that is.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

jwalsh@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (John Lawrence Walsh) (04/29/91)

In article <8876@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>[]
>I called Progressive, they seemed furthest along on 040 board
>development, and they told me sometime in July was the expected
>release date.  Maybe late June/
>
>for the A3000 that is.
>
>-Roger

	How much will it cost?